AGAIN with the college bashing

by Pistoff 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kudra
    Kudra

I agree Paula- that is the MAIN reason.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Irony is that the smart ones are heading for the EXITS.

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

Here is another example. During my Hall's most recent CO visit I almost walked out when the CO stated "why attend college" when soon we will all be watching these centers for higher learning destroyed and in ruins. At the risk of giving away my identity, my profession causes me to work with colleges around the country and I find that the faculties, researchers and leaders at these institutions to be some of the most socially responsible and caring people I have ever had the pleasure working with.

This Thread is making me very angry

• Denial
    Denial

i have some interesting experiences in this area because i left the org in my second year of studying philosophy at university.

anyways....i once recall an elder saying on the platform that "you dont need to go to college/uni because you can gain a university level education through reading the awake magazine."

my family and i still joke about this outrageous comment.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    i once recall an elder saying on the platform that "you dont need to go to college/uni because you can gain a university level education through reading the awake magazine."

Do you think this was presented as a fact? And don't you think that many honestly believed it because that's what the Society told them? Kind of ties in with the other thread about fact vs belief. A point of view presented as a fact to a member of a cult, becomes a fact and the majority will follow those orders based on that presentation. Kids told that it's a fact they will never die has resulted in many adults having depression and mental instability because once out, they realize that it was a fraud. I know any number of JW adults who were told this and told that they should pioneer instead since the time of the end was so close - they didn't need an education - perhaps since the WTS continues to spout this crap, then the government should look at the drain on all of society when those individual gave up their education to serve an organization. Most of those are living without health care, pensions, savings or assets - since to acquire those in conjunction with educations, was a grave sin and unworthy of the grace of God. The Society should be paying all those pioneers who wanted to go to college, the amount of money they would have made had they been allowed to get a degree. sammieswife.

• out4good3
    out4good3

I sure hope they're not running with that Awake college education crap again. It wasn't too long ago that my wife used to put "watchtower theocratic ministry school" on her resume's when looking for a job against my better judgement. It is no wonder she never got a call back.

I work for a community college in a job I'd never have gotten were it not for me going back to school and getting a two year degree. Right now, because of my length of service and the systems I'm responsible for, I make as much as anyone with a BS or Masters degree just starting out. I"ve started back going to school to further my degree and give me more options.

I go through resume's for job openings in my department as they come. Without at least a two year degree and a couple of years experience, your resume won't even get a cursory look.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I have heard an aunt of mine quote that Awake/college education thing many times through the years. I think she even said it the last time I saw her back in October. She absolutlely believes it because she read it in the Watchtower literature.

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

These talks always irritate the life out of me and whenever our family is returning from the assembly I just have to say something (even though I know it will only end with me getting more angry).

I have been to university and so the standard response from my relatives is "well you must have a guilty conscience."

I then say "no, I have nothing to feel guilty about as I made a personal choice which was mine to make; I just hate the way they try to guilt-trip people into throwing their education away; I also know that all the self-righteous ones will be thinking about me and calling me 'unspiritual' behind my back....never to my face though."

This usually gets another ridiculous answer like "see! you have got a guilty conscience otherwise you wouldn't be going on like this."

It is truly mind-numbing sometimes but I suppose that it is my own stupid fault as I keep doing the same thing every year whilst expecting different results. I know my family's thinking won't change but I just can't bring myself to keep my mouth shut which means that the whole thing usually escalates into a blazing row.

• minimus
    minimus

"Keep 'em young, barefoot and pregnant". That's the mentality here.

• undercover
    undercover

Hey, as Judge Smails said in Caddyshack, "The world needs ditch diggers too". Fortunately for those who need ditches, JWs will be available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit