Does Roman Catholicism Teach The "Truth"?

by minimus 180 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Then what is it?
    Again, I'm not arguing, I really want to understand what seems to me a huge conflict.

I know you aren't trying to argue. We use terms such as venerate and honor. Catholic.com has very good information regarding these things, especially the forum.

BTS

• minimus
    minimus

"if you believe in Jesus you have a religion". Untrue (once again).

• Amazing
    Amazing
    From a biblical view, God or Jesus could do anything. Mere man, even sinner priests are not God.

True ... but did not the mere human and sinful Apostles perform miracles? Surely God can work through sinful humans, can he not? Did not God work through Moses to part the Red Sea, win battles, bring water out from rocks, for the Apostle to cure sickness, raise the dead, and expel demons? What is so difficult about blessing some water? To have God work through us does not require we be perfect ... that is the JW roots showing, the extreme expectation that people have to be perfect, sinless, and the same as God. Our righteousness does not come from being perfect and doing works of righteousness ... it comes from the blood of Christ shed for us all ... me and you.

• Amazing
    Amazing
    "if you believe in Jesus you have a religion". Untrue (once again).

Belief in Jesus, or as Mouthy put it, having a relationship with him, is, by its very nature, a form of religion ... even if it is just a person of one. Atheism can be another form of religion ... I suppose it depends on how one defines religion ... but, given how people treat the topic when they say that they only believe in a relationship with Jesus, they are playing semantics to claim that they are not religious or do not have a religion. Perhaps they need to draw a line between being a member of a religious organization and having a religious faith. To a Catholic, organizational membership is not even on the charts ... being a Christian is what religion is all about.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Okay, I debated between using the word "venerate" or worship. ("Worship" is so JW. Like standing when a judge entered the room. )

So I understand. It is more of a reverance, not an "act" of worship. Yes?

I'll check out the link. (Of course I want to right now, but I have to do something called work.)

• minimus
    minimus

Perverted priests (those that have been molesters for decades) can say they are turning tap water into holy water because they as, perverted priests, say so, but I think it's a ridiculous assumption---as if God would utilize these pigs to make something holy.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Just because a roman catholic asks a saint for help or guidance, doesn't mean the roman catholic is worshipping the saint. When you ask your best friend for help and guidance, are you worshipping your friend?

• mouthy
    mouthy

your private 'relationship' standard as you call it

Mathew 6:6 says >>"And when you pray,do not be like the hypocrites,
    for they love to pray standing in the synagogues & on the street
    corners to beseen by men,I tell you the truth,they have received their reward
    in full.But when you pray ,go into your room,close the door & pray to your Father,
    who is unseen.Then your Father ,who sees what is done in secret,Will reward you "

I do this constantly Amazing....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So I understand. It is more of a reverance, not an "act" of worship. Yes?

Right. The image or statue is not worshipped. The archetype it represents may be, such as Jesus.

BTS

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm really surprised you have an emotional reaction to someone else wearing a St. Christopher medal, minimus!

If you don't believe they have magic or powers, why are you sad if people wear jewelry, sprinkle water on themselves, etc.?

There's a lot of things we can point to that are harmful about religions; medals and holy water aren't among them. IMHO.

I guess I don't understand why the question about worship of images is brought up. Again, zzzZZZzzz. Doesn't matter.

It's against the Bible? So are a lot of things that other Bible-based religious people do. Worshipping a statue is harmless, why focus on that of all things?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit