Does Roman Catholicism Teach The "Truth"?

by minimus 180 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Out of all mainstream religions, Roman Catholicism seems to be the most cultic to me, even more so than Jehovah's Witnesses in certain ways.

The belief in transubstantiation , I think that's how it's spelled, is weird! The attire of the clergy is satanic looking. The view of papal authority is not that much different than a JW's view of "The Slave".

• sspo
    sspo

If the bible is just another " book " and not inspired then all religions are screwed up.

Some are definetely more dangerous than others.

• jws
    jws

I went to a Catholic funeral once. The priest started waving some smoking pot on a chain over the coffin. It looked like some primitive ritual.

It always seemed like the JWs took particular offense to Catholics. When in reality, if it weren't for Catholicism, Christianity may have died out in the first few hundred years after Christ.

The Catholic Church basically chose what went into the New Testament, according to which writings they thought went along with their beliefs. So if the New Testament is "the truth", and the New Testament is a collection of cherry-picked writings that matched Catholic beliefs, then the Catholics must have "the truth". Or at least they did at some point in the past.

Of course, I don't believe they do/did. But if you're going to accept the New Testament, you've got to tip your hats to Catholicism.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Minimus,

The poster JWs made a good post from a non-Catholic perspective. I can see how the 'smoke waving' at a funeral might come across a little strange to someone with JW roots. And his comments about the Bible are mostly fair, except that the Catholic Church did not 'cherry pick' because they did not need to do so. Their liturgy, tradition, and teaching were well established for 400 years after Christ, before the Pope asked St. Jerome to compile the Apostolic letters, that eventually because the Bible. The 'Bible' as we know it was not declared inspired until the 8th century, after centuries of debate by scholars.

To answer your question ... yes, the Catholic Church and Orthodox teach the truth. They both have deep traditional roots in the primitive Catholic Church, prior to the Great Schism in 1054. Do they make mistakes, yes, but not on matters of faith and morals. They never change those long held teachings. But their ritual and liturgy, while still resembling the early Church, is something that changes from time to time ... but of itself, such practices are not what Catholics would call 'truth.' Rather, what Catholics see as 'truth' is found in what Jesus said of himself, "[He] is the Way, the Truth, and the Life." This is what I believe as a Roman Catholic.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The Catholics are big on rituals, that's for sure. I went to mass with my wife a few times out of curiosity.

As far as them having the "truth"? That's entirely subjective. Every Christian religion thinks they are following the bible the way they should, and accuse the other sects as being "corrupt."

If someone wants to be religious, they should find one that works for them. (Preferrably not a high control group like the JW's.)

IMO, none of them are true. Science is the pursuit of truth. :)

• StAnn
    StAnn

Minimus, I'm not feeling well today or I'd start tackling your questions. However, I want to ask you some questions:

What do you know about Catholicism and from where do you know it?

What is your understanding of transsubstantiation?

What is Satanic looking about clerical attire?

Specifically, what is it about papal authority that you think is "Slave-like?"

St. Ann

Tiber Swim Team 2003

• StAnn
    StAnn

Drwtsn, science is your religion.

Minimus, if you really want to delve into some of your questions about Catholicism, here is a good place to start. Click on "articles" and read away:

http://www.catholicxjw.com

Obviously, I believe the Catholic Church has the truth or I wouldn't be Roman Catholic. It's a whole different ball game from the Dubs.

St. Ann

• Amazing
    Amazing

drwtson32:

As far as them having the "truth"? That's entirely subjective. Every Christian religion thinks they are following the bible the way they should, and accuse the other sects as being "corrupt."

Your comments are reasonable, except that the mainline Churches do not accuse all others as being "corrupt." The Catholic Church, for example, teaches that the Christian faith and truth are found among the many non-Catholic Churches. A few cult-like groups, like the JWs, Adventists, and others make such accusations. Most Churches are kind and reasonable. Catholics do not place as much emphasis on the Bible as they do history and tradition ... that is why they preserved the rituals they have (as do the Orthodox) for the last 2,000 years.

St Ann:

I did not realize you are Catholic ... well we have something in common. Were you a Catholic before being a JW, or is this something you found after leaving the JWs? I was raised Roman Catholic, and finally returned to the Church about 4 years ago.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Truth about what?

Everyone has a stake in the game and Catholics are no different. The power of the Catholic church goes back hundreds of years and is closely aligned with politics and wealth. If you are looking for the truth of existence and meaning in the book, then whatever your own interpretation is, will be what you align yourself with. I believe the truth of what you need is the truth that you will find - no matter where you look.

I personally don't have a beef with Catholicism..I find the WTS much more restrictive and much less caring. sammieswife.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I was a Catholic, went to parochial school, was an altar boy... and in my view the JW's today mirror the Catholic church during the time of the Spanish Inquistition (without images, the trinity, the garb, and the rites). Today the Catholic church is more tolerant and less oppressive than JW's. I would never return, however I've found more pluralistic openmindedness among Catholics than I ever have among any protestant denomination (except the Unitarians), and perhaps the Methodists and Quakers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit