Does Roman Catholicism Teach The "Truth"?

by minimus 180 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    My mother and father were raised as Catholics. I see many similarities between the Witnesses and Catholics. The elders are very similar to priests. The GB and COs are much like the Pope and cardinals.

So any kind of governance or hierarchy automatically makes something JW-like in a negative way?

That is not logical

• minimus
    minimus

I never said that, BTS. But I think my examples are spot on.

• VIII
    VIII

I have not read the whole thread.

I have been recently going to Catholic Churches with my spouse--on Sundays. At first I did not go. I refused. I know that was residual JW stuff.

I have met numerous priests at numerous parishes and they have all been very nice. I met one who was not. He was the priest at my relatives funeral-just last week. He was the priest at her church. Apparently she didn't care for him but he was the only priest there. He was actually from Ireland and speaks with a thick accent.

I don't agree with many of the biblical teachings. That is my issue. That is not a Catholic issue. I simply don't believe the bible. I think a lot of it is ridiculous. And, honestly, a virgin birth? Ummm, I just don't buy it. So, if I can't believe that, the rest of the new testament is a bunch of poop.

So, I go to listen and perhaps hear something different.

It is different.

When I first walked in the first Catholic church I thought for sure Jehovah was going to strike me dead. Seriously. And that was years after fading away and not going to a KH in years. Mind control is an amazing thing, huh?

• minimus
    minimus

Going into a church doesn't bother me. Actually some beautiful art work exists in many churches as well as style. They even have windows!

I have a friend of mine that LOVES his Catholic faith. Everytime he drives by a church, he has to say a prayer. His family thinks it'w weird as I do but he loves his church. His decision but I certainly don't see his religion as truth.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    His decision but I certainly don't see his religion as truth.

Quid est veritas?

BTS

• minimus
    minimus

It ain't the Catholic Church, BTS.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There is only one fundamental truth. Rocco has a fluffy butt. Everything else is subject to change without notice.

W

• Robdar
    Robdar

There is only one fundamental truth. Rocco has a fluffy butt. Everything else is subject to change without notice.

Amen, Brother Free.

• VIII
    VIII

I was taught, as I'm sure most JWs are, to never, ever go into another faiths church. We were not allowed to go to weddings, funerals, etc. if they were held in a church.

As for "Truth", I believe the old testament is a good book for wandering around the desert. Thousands of years ago.

The new testament? It was written too long after Jesus was around. By a bunch of men who may or may not have been literate.

Truth from thousands of years ago is elusive.

edited to add:

I am still willing to go to Sunday mass and hear what they have to say at the local Catholic church. It is one hour of my time. I can spare it for my spouse and it is rarely boring. The people are nice while in the building. In the parking lot they become a-holes.

• minimus
    minimus

Rocco is The Truth. If you asked him to throw some "holy water" on you, I'm sure he'd be as effective as any Father.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit