Silliest thing that Witnesses told you was wrong?

by gilwarrior 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• indireneed
    indireneed

When I was researching to try and help my wife 'escape' (which failed miserably), this was one of the funnies things I found . . .

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/2919/alum2.html

It's an article on the Witnesses' demonization of aluminum with lots of good pictures. Some of the Golden Age cartoons were pretty good . . .

The funny thing is that I was working for Alcoa, the largest aluminum company at the time and my wife was saying what a good job was. I guess she didn't realize that aluminum was Satan's metal only fifty years ago . . .

• butalbee
    butalbee

1> Only 144,000 can go to heaven.
    2> Only JW's can understand the bible.
    3> God speaks from Brooklyn.
    4> CAn anyone please tell me, why I am being discouraged from keeping my two door car?
    5> I don't need a therapist I need to talk with the elders.

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Here is another thing that I remember. There was this one guy who became an elder when he was very young. I think he was 27. He got in hot water because he got a person license plate that said JWELDER. I thought that it was silly that all the fuss was made. If the guy was proud of being a Witness then more power to him.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I forgot all about the scooby doo thingy. My wife went ballistic for about the first year of our marriage, maybe longer, when the kids watched Scooby Doo. Jesus H. Christ it was ridiculous. Supposedly "glorified" witchcraft and the like even though they "ghouls" always proved to be humans in disguise.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

What is the silliest thing that a witness told me??? Everything thing. LOL Anyway one experience that I can recall was when my son was little and he had a bib on that had the Disney Snow White and 7 Dwarfs on the front of it. Well we were over at a JW home when the German sister there well you would think she saw Satan himself and told me that that was demonic. She said that she would have to talk to my wife about it. I can't recall but knowing my ex she would have thrown it out. Reminds my of that old SNL skit of the Church Lady... Can we say Satan everyone.. LOL

Will

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Scooby Doo. Oh brother.

Pokemon is evil too.

Slipnslidemaster: MerryChristmas!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

A couple more I just thought of...

When I was a teenager our CO cut out a picture of a young man out of the WT and posted it on the bulletin board. He wrote little captions around the picture like "See where his side burns are" or "He is wearing a White shirt". etc. Well you know most of the older ones there took it as gospel truth.

Around the same time I was studying with a brother (who is no longer a JW) that would get on my case about my side burns being too long. He hounded me so much about trimming them on and on. He insisted that he could trim them for me. Being a young teenager at the time and wanting to do what’s right I submitted to him and let him trim them. Well you know this is one time my JW mom took a stand. At the next book study, right in front of everyone, she said "Oh yeah brother so and so I would appreciate that you let me cut my own sons hair". He at least apologized to her and admitted he was wrong.

Another time I remember it was brought up on the platform about the Rod Stewart song "Tonight's the Night". About how it was about immorality etc. and we shouldn't listen to it. Also I can recall an ex Circuit Overseer giving a talk and saying we should only listen to nice classical music and none of the rock stuff.

I have lots more but have to get going here.
    Will

• more2C
    more2C

I remember being at an assembly and the speaker urged everyone not to listen the that song "Afternoon Delight" (Forget who sings it) because it talks about having sex during the day! I was just a kid, but I loved that song!

more2C

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi All,

#1) I was told *You don't have to worry about having to go to high school, Armageddon will come before that.* I started high school in 1958.

#2) *You will never have to get married and raise children in this old system, Armageddon will come before that.* I was first married in 1967 near the beginning of the 1975 nonsense. My youngest of 4 sons is 22 years old.

Volumes have been written about the silly teachings of this group.

gb

• butalbee
    butalbee

Something that really shook me up was a picture I saw in the kingdom hall, it was purple and it said FEAR GOD in big letters. I ask a sister about it and she said it was the motto from last year??? Alrighty then, where's the exit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit