Silliest thing that Witnesses told you was wrong?

by gilwarrior 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

There are two things.

In the early and mid 80s there were Witnesses saying that the cartoon characters The Smurfs were not acceptable for Witnesses. I had two Smurf cartoon books and my mother made me throw them away.

I also remember a sister telling me, in all seriousness, about a woman who was attacks by Smurf dolls!!!! (Yeah right!) I was told that a Witness sister was in her home singing Kingdom Hymns when she saw these two Smurfs dolls that she had gotten for her daughter come out of her daughter's closet and they began hitting her. They then laughed and went back in the closet. At the time it scared me to death, but now I can't believe how grown people can believe in such stupidity.

The other silly story happened about three years ago when I was living in Mexico for awhile. I was talking to a brother in Spanish when he told me than I shouldn't use a certain word that I was repeating. The word was "ojala" which in Spanish means "I hope so." He proceded to tell me this long story that the Moors, who were Moslims for North Africa, had occupied Spain for nearly 800 years. The Moors spoke Arabic so several Spanish words that are spoken today are Arabic in origin. The Spanish word "ojala" came from the Arabic phrase "Oh Allah." Allah is, of course, what Moslims call God. He told that Allah was a false god so Witnesses should not say the word "ojala." Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Anklets!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My dad said that green-striped shirts were rebellious.

• Andee
    Andee

I wish I knew about the demonized Smurf thing back in the late 80's.
    I worked with two JW women. I could have really had some fun

Andee

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i could not wear my jeans with holes in the knees when i went over to a certain elder's daughters house. dress unbecoming of a christian. WHATEVER! we were just hanging out at her place! soooooooo silly :)

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• Andee
    Andee

Now, I remember what one of these women told me once.

She said that if another male came her house, and her husband was not home, she would not let him inside. Of course, I asked her "why?"
    She responded with "because it doesn't LOOK right". I retorted back,
    "Well, if it's all perfectly innocent, what do you care how it looks? Would someone be watching to report back to your husband?" (Shows ya how long I have been away). She just kept up the not "looking right" mantra.

From Brooklyn on down, it's all about "looking right" isn't it? There is no thought given to if an act or situation actually is right or not. Only to how they look. Not to what is.

Andee

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

yeah, the smurf thing is pretty whack :(

• GatoCat
    GatoCat

Mag wheels on your pickup - sign of rebelliousness, showy display of your means of living, immature, undignified.

COMF

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I had forgotten about this until my daughter reminded me of it the other day. When my children were little they could not eat LUCKY CHARMS. Of course because it had the word Lucky in it. sheesh. I bought a box once and a great fight broke out in the house, and the ex promptly threw the box in the trash. Double sheesh!

• radar
    radar

One JW dad would not let his little girl watch "Sooty and Sweep" because they used a magic wand, and this was Magic!!! and not to be taken lightly and be entertained by such.!!

This absolutely true. Unfortunately I was the one that brought this guy into the "truth"(cult.) He turned the channell over on his TV set, much to his childs frustration.

Radar

Like all people who have nothing, I lived on dreams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit