Silliest thing that Witnesses told you was wrong?

by gilwarrior 86 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

The circuit overseer told us we should by no means go see the second raiders of the lost ark movie, Indiana Jones and the temple of doom. He actually mentioned this from the platform. Because it was announced from THE PLATFORM This was gospel, and no one saw it, ok so no one admitted to seeing it LOL!!

betweenworlds

• Wickid
    Wickid

Oh this is a great thread; I could go indefinitely on this one. Offhand, these are the ones I remember:

1. Couldn't watch the Speedracer cartoon, because in the theme song, it said he was a "demon on wheels".

2. Couldn't watch Scooby Doo or Casper "the friendly ghost" - demonic overtones.

3. The phrase "good luck" was ABSOLUTELY forbidden

4. To say "Bless you" or "gazundhite" after someone sneezed was wrong.

5. All button shirts had to be buttoned to the top button, lest someone would get the wrong idea and be stumbled.

6. No slang, EVER.

7. Couldn't listen to the song "Marina Del Rey" by George Strait because it allegedly referred to fornication.

8. Any music over two decibels or that had a beat was off limits; I was made to remove my car radio as a teenager, and frequently had entire collections of "hard rock" tapes confiscated. Man, I got tired of buying the same tapes over and over.

9. No posters of anything other than landscapes, lest I would be "idolizing" a person or thing. (No celebrities or cars)

10. Could not use the words: Gosh, Gee, Golly, because they were subtle references to the Lord's name, and defintely couldn't say darn or dadgummit as they could be mistaken for profanity.

There are a trillion more...they'll come to me. :)

• patio34
    patio34

My pet peeves (in case they haven't been mentioned yet):

No 'R' rated movies, sometimes not even PG-13

Couldn't be alone in a car with a man

Classical music was often religious so exercise caution

Talk about a Talmud 'Tower" of rules!

Cheers!
    Pat

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    Has anyone ever heard "Another one bites the dust" by Queen played backwards? We did, at an assembly in Florida one year. If you have an imagination that reaches to the stars, it might sound something like "Decide to smoke marijuana".

Ah, that explains it! When that song first came out, we were sharing a house with a JW family whose oldest sone played it constantly.

I just can't figure out why it took me about 20 years to get the message.

GentlyFeral

"There were cockroaches of course,
    but very clean cockroaches."
    -- Julia Vinograd

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I also remember being told that the tele tubbies shouldn't be watched because the symbol on one of thems head was to represent homosexuality. Does anyone else remember hearing this?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

We were told that singing John Denver's "Annie's Song" (I think) was wrong for singles because it contains the lyric "let me lay down beside you"

John Denver was generally OK in the same elder's view, but I heard bad reports about JD and "no JW's at his concerts" stories. Stories I heard visiting North Hollywood, CA in 1978 and attending an International Convention at Dodger Stadium.

Thirdson

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

Wow! It is great to see everybody's stories. I remember something that Wickid said about not saying "Bless You" after you sneezed. I never understood why that was condemned. Even to this day I sometimes don't say "Bless You" after someone sneezes.

• outnfree
    outnfree

That one should NEVER wear open-toed shoes in service. Especially should one never wear PAINTED TOENAILS in open-toed shoes in service.
    Only loose women did that.

Also, no bare legs.

And watch the length of your acrylic nails!

LOL

outnfree

When the truth is found to be lies
    and all the joy within you dies ...
    -- Darby Slick, Somebody to Love

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Watching "Bewitched" was wrong as it glorified WitchCraft. But I Dream Of Jeanie (Genie?) was fine. How ridiculous!

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I was told by an Elder (former Bethelite now serving in Pennsylvania) that reading any of Ray Franz's literature was a disfellowshipping offense.

I am so tempted to name the elder, but I will hold out in case of trolls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit