Should Pot Be Legalized?

by minimus 177 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think too much of anything is not good.

• yknot
    yknot

No.......Because I don't think the American society on a whole is ready.

My only two real concerns personally is abuse of the drug and me having to deal with the issue as another legal vice that I don't want my kids doing.

But if they ever did legalize then perhaps in stages starting with medical marijuana would be best.

From there it could be heavily regulated with legal limits.

I also wouldn't want it smoked around children as second-hand and third-hand smoke is never a good thing or in public for that matter. Maybe have those pot-cafes like in Amsterdam for people 21 and over.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I think it should be legalised in the sense that it should be controlled. Smoked in a controlled environment such as cafe's is fine, or in the home, but not in the street or in public areas. Much the same way as it is in Amsterdam, the police there will not tolerate pot being smoked in the street even with such a laid back culture.

Paul

• watson
    watson

A whole new tax generating industry!! Just like cigarettes and booze. De criminalize it. People might actually start to "chill" some.

• minimus
  • GromitSK
    GromitSK

I agree that moderation is the key. It seems to me that many things cause health problems (mental and physical) when taken to excess. I do think alcohol causes at least as many problems as pot. It would be interesting to compare the results of habitual use of alcohol,pot and tobacco use and the cost in terms of health and crime.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Absolutely. It should be treated just like alcohol. Those of you who are worried about your kids, remember that the kid in math class that is selling it has no regulations, but the guy who owns the corner "pot" store is in danger of using his livelihood if he sells to a minor.

That said, I think it's just as addictive and detrimental as alcohol when abused. I'm an expert

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

regarding it's addictive nature, well anything can be addictive. The side effects from pot are quite different from other controlled substances. Usually far less sever.

So far, the only progress made with outlawing pot is a huge criminal empire generating alot of money illegally. Look at alcohol sales during prohibition. There's no regulation of it and no way of getting tax revnue unless they legalize it. Medical marijuana already generates a huge amount of sales tax for the state of California. So called SIN taxes imposed upon cigarettes and alcohol would like be imposed as well on marijuana and I'm totally behind it.

I'm not a smoker. I quite cigarettes years ago and when I tried smoking pot, it was clearly not my thing. It eat so called edibles and I'll hit the vaporizer occasionally. Never got into a crappy mood on pot, but I have on alcohol.

Beksbks I was kinda wondering about your comment on the detrimental effects of pot as compared to alcohol. Can u site some examples?

• reniaa
    reniaa

no

Is saying item A which isn't as bad as item B which isn't criminalised be a good reason for uncriminalising item A?

I live in England were the effects of super strength pot are becoming a big problem in the teens.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Marijuanna is illegal because Budwiser, Seagrams and the church doesnt want the competitition

for the entertainment dollar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit