Should Pot Be Legalized?

by minimus 177 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Well, I suppose I did post alot of information about alcohol and it's effects on the body and society vs. marijuana.

I find it ironic that people will support the use of alcohol simply because it is legal and have the fears they do of marijuana because they feel that based on it being illegal it is done so for protection. When abuse of alcohol is much more damaging than abuse of marijuana.

Logically, those that work to keep marijuana illegal should be doing the same to illegalize alcohol.

edited: That is not going to happen. So given that every culture and civilization has used something mind altering, except the Eskimos, until alcohol was introduce to them, marijuana is an alternative, we have the right to it.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The foresighted thought by a lot of law enforcement agencies is that if Pot were to be made legal the increased use of it would exacerbate

and add to the already problem of other illicit drugs that are being used.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I would think that if pot were legalized, more funds and attention could be diverted on the problems of other illicit drugs.

Real drug problems

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Legalizing marijuana will transform America'

April 6, 12:47 PM · 20 comments ShareThis
    Musician Carlos Santana is seen during an interview in Los
    Angeles on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 (AP Photo/Matt Sayles)

The argument to legalize marijuana is back in the news, after rock legend and Obama supporter Carlos Santana said that marijuana needs to be legalized, while also taking a hard swipe at California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In a recent interview with the Associated Press, the Grammy-winning guitarist said, "I really believe that as soon as we legalize and decriminalize marijuana, we can actually afford a really good governor who won't keep taking money away from education and from teachers and send him back to Hollywood where he can do 'D' movies and we can get an 'A' governor."

Santana went on to give a heart-felt plea to President Obama, saying, "Bring the brothers home, and sisters home now. Legalize marijuana and take all that money and invest it in teachers and in education. You will see a transformation in America."

Last week, President Obama acknowledged that the issue is a popular subject of debate at a town hall meeting at the White House, saying that many questions from his online audience came in about whether legalizing marijuana to stimulate the economy is a good idea.

Obama answered, “The answer is, no, I don't think that is a good strategy -- (laughter) -- to grow our economy."

But there are some lawmakers who disagree with him. California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano recently proposed a measure that would regulate marijuana in the state of California like alcohol - with people over the age of 21 allowed to grow, buy, sell, and possess cannabis. If passed, he claims that the legalization of marijuana would be worth billions to the state.

My question is, if our country can legalize alcohol and cigarettes, why not marijuana?

Of course, one should not be able to drive or operate machinery while under the influence, government should regulate its quality and safety, and there should be age requirements and health warnings on packaging, but why is marijuana being held to a different standard than cigarettes and alcohol?

Cigarette smoking is highly addictive, can lead to cancer, most commonly lung cancer, but also cancer of the lips, mouth, throat, and voice box. Smokers also have a higher risk of getting esophagus, stomach, kidney, pancreas, cervix, bladder, and skin cancer. Cigarette smoking can also lead to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, high blood pressure, cataracts, and fertility problems, not to mention stained gums and teeth.

Excessive drinking can cause liver disease and cirrhosis, which rank among the top 10 leading causes of death in the nation, high cholesterol, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, heart failure and increased calorie intake (leading to obesity and a higher risk of diabetes). It can also lead to stroke and cardiomyopathy, a disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed and doesn't work efficiently, cardiac arrhythmia, (abnormal, irregular heartbeat) and sudden cardiac death.

Marijuana smoking, while thought to affect the brain and body many times long after one has stopped using the drug, is generally not any more harmful than alcohol or tobacco if used in moderation.

So what’s the problem?

Legalization of marijuana would likely mean a lower price of the drug, reducing related crimes like theft. Street justice related to drug disputes would also be diminished. As with most bootleggers from the 1920’s, marijuana dealers would lose most or all of their business. Police and court resources would be freed up for more serious crimes. And legalization would also be a source of additional tax revenues.

The problem is that people are used to thinking that marijuana smoking is “bad.” We have forgotten that drinking used to be “bad.” In 1933, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt and congress ended prohibition, many people were shocked and alarmed. Then they got used to it. Now, there is very little crime, in comparison, related to the manufacturing, distribution, and sale of alcohol.

In contrast, cigarette smoking used to be “cool.” In the fifties, most movie stars, on screen and off, were rarely without a cigarette. Then in the early 1970’s, the harmful effects of cigarette smoking became widely publicized and we realized that cigarette smoking was very “uncool," in fact, actually "bad.” Some people still smoke despite. Many do not.

I don’t expect that the legalization of marijuana would be much different.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Capitalism is what keeps pot illegal.

As long there are lobbyists out there who respresents the big corporations (like Eli Lilly (or any pharmisutical companies), Tobacco Companies ot any company that stands to lose alot of money if pot was made legal.

Lobbyists forks over alot of money to a political party of choice in order to try to enfleunce laws in their favor to protect companies from competition. Pot being one of them.

Why else you think like pharmisutical companies tried in the past block generics from entering the pill market? Because they provide cheaper pills that does the exact same thing as a major brand name would.

I read about the racial history behind marijuana and you can read it here....

http://www.drugpolicy.org/about/position/race_paper_history.cfm

Even though I don't smoke pot anymore and haven't been for years. But what I do know that pot contains no addictive properties because it's classified as non-narcotic. Alcohol and Tobacco on the other hand do contain addictive properties as well as hard drugs.

Alcohol IMHO is the worse drug out there on the market. I've seen people become aggresive (fights have long been atributed to alcohol) (oh and I've never seen aggressive behaviors from a pot smoking user). patients who lost their liver to alcohol, please don't ask me to describe it. It's just awful. I would never wish that to anyone and watch them suffer. Alcohol breaks up families as well. So do hard drugs.

Granted that pot do at times lead people to get hooked on drugs that do contain addictive properties. But that's the choice of the uninfluenced user. Nobody makes the decisions but them.

The only vice I have is don't drive while high and stay away from dangerous machineries, unless losing a finger is your thing.

Too many families whose lives is destroyed because they think evil of pot, which you can't die from it, can't overdose on it, it's safe to smoke. People are being locked up with a misdemenor charge other than drug dealing which gets felony charges (depending on what kind of drug is and what classifications they are), which is far less than a user gets arrested.

There are more users in jail than drug dealers. Users that have families, a job and a life. People who work also pays taxes just like the rest of us. Some are casual smokers, party type people who get high maybe twice a month.

To make matters worse, families ends up with legal bills that puts them deep in the hole that it would take forever to crawl out of. All these legal fees is just about as bad as hospital bills. Goverments spends ridiculous amount of money as well, trying these people as if they were hideous criminals because they smoked pot. Utterly obsurd.

We're wasting billions of dollars on the war on pot. Put prohibitions on anything you don't like and you'll create a bunch of Al Capones. They made millions off of prohibition. Any kind of prohibition drives up prices and a crime of opportunity to get rich quick. When there is supply and demand from people who still want them, they'll pay an arm and a leg to get it. There are those that will kill to keep the cashflow coming.

Legalize pot and tax it, just like cigarettes. There's a buttload of revenue that the Government can make from pot sales.

It will also help cancer patients who is suffering from being sick in the pit of their stomachs resulting from a side effect from chemotherapy. People have testified in Senate chambers who were chemo patients and told them that pot has helped them tremendously to deal with being sick during and after treatment. It makes them feel way less nauseated than what they had normally gone through.

People are pushing hard on this agenda as of late from reading the news. It's not gonna die down anytime soon. Maybe the Obama presidency will be the one to change all that. We can only hope.

Yiz

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Being new here - I am reading alot of the threads.

It amuses me thaat one of the most prolific threads on this site has to do with whether pot should be legalized or not!

But I have revealed enough already, so I will not say if I do or don't. Or have done, or have not.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2014/07/washington_dc_marijuana_decriminalization_of_an_ou.php

Washington D.C. adults (and minors) packing up to an ounce of weed on them can breathe a little easier today walking around town, as decriminalization laws went into effect that makes having ounce or less a civil infraction with a fine of $25.

That is a huge improvement from how things were yesterday, when those same residents were facing misdemeanor charges, six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The new law also means that cops can't really do anything if they happen to smell raw marijuana on someone. Cops also can't require someone with under an ounce to show them an ID because marijuana possession isn't technically a crime.

But watch out, not all of the city is actually the city. A large chunk of D.C. is federal land, and marijuana possession there is still illegal. So, don't go toking up at Lincoln's feet and expect to simply walk a few bucks lighter in the wallet if you get caught. The same goes for people in federal housing - getting caught there can jeopardize your living situation. Also, having more than an ounce will still get you arrested in D.C.

Toking up in public remains illegal, but possession of marijuana paraphernalia like pipes, papers, bongs and one-hitters are also now decriminalized. Selling pot is still illegal, but giving another person an ounce or less falls under the new civil infraction laws.
    Oh, and if the cops bust you they have to take your pot.

Gwendolyn Crump, spokeswoman for the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, said police will follow the new directive.

The move should help curb some of the racially-biased arrests in the city. According to the ACLU, D.C. had the highest rate of marijuana possession arrests in the United States and that around 90 percent of those arrested were black. Figures like that prompted the 10 to 1 D.C. City Council vote in favor of decriminalization earlier this year.

"I think we're going to see a real positive change in the District of Columbia," Councilman David Grosso toldU.S. News. "We know that every single touch with the criminal justice system, unfortunately, has a negative impact on our residents' lives."

The move isn't very popular with others, though. Congressman Andy Harris, a Republican from Maryland, has attempted to block the decriminalization a well as any future efforts with an amendment attached to a Congressional spending bill. Basically, it would prevent D.C. from using any money "to enact or carry out any law, rule, or regulation to legalize or otherwise reduce penalties associated with the possession, use, or distribution of any" controlled substance, including marijuana.

Thankfully, most seem to agree that the bill will not be approved as it is written and Harris's threats aren't going to come to fruition.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I believe pot should be legalized.

And I support legislation and groups that are trying to furhter the agenda.

But we are against big money here in Florida.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I also beleive in legalizing sex. There are too many unwanted teen pregnancies, and people are not being responsible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit