Should Pot Be Legalized?

by minimus 177 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

so if we legalize it then we will have one more pile of butts littering the ground around doors. One more place where we will have to walk through a cloud of second hand smoke as we leave buildings where people congregate to get a few puffs of smoke.

I think I'm just getting ornery in my old age.

I can't understand the irresponsibility of people who smoke and throw their butts on the ground 2 feet from an cigarette trashcan. Basically they believe they have the right to pollute the air around me and leave their droppings behind for the city to clean up.

I'm the same person who got high inhaling second hand pot smoke at a concert. I didn't appreciate the buzz.

I also can't understand why we allow people to walk their dogs and leave their droppings all over the place. Even if they pick it up -- would we let our children do that? I had a dog. He went and did his business in one place in our yard not all over the neighborhood.

I just don't get that the rights of some people who think it is OK to trample the rights of others.

Maybe I'd feel differently about this if the pot came in pill form. Think about it. No butts. No second hand smoke.

But then we would have people high driving buses and cars. Flying planes. Doing some surgery on us after taking a few puffs to calm their nerves before picking up the scalpel

Yup maybe not such a bad idea

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    2007 Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Marijuana Stats

April 1st, 2009 By: Russ Belville, NORML Outreach Coordinator
    Share this Article Share This Page on del.icio.usShare This Page on digg Share This Page on Stumble UponShare This Page on Facebook Share This Page on TwitterShare This Page on Technorati Get the Feed to this Blog

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, or SAMHSA, is the Federal Government’s lead agency for improving the quality and availability of substance abuse prevention, addiction treatment, and mental health services in the United States. They have released the results of their 2007 Treatment Episode Data Set, or TEDS, showing the National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services. Let’s take a look at the statistics for marijuana, shall we?

50% increase in marijuana treatment admissions in one decade

In 1997, about 200,000 people checked into treatment for marijuana.By 2005, that number has risen to over 300,000 people, though it has tapered off a bit these last couple of years. By any account, this is a huge rise in the number of people seeking rehab for marijuana in just a decade. It would seem like the powerful new “Not Your Father’s Woodstock Weed” has given rise to a 50% increase in reefer addicts!

Only 15% of marijuana "addicts" admit themselves to treatment

However, when you look behind the numbers, you find that this increase has more to do with the rapid increase of drug courts in the late ’90s, early ’00s. By far, most of the people who are in treatment for marijuana are forced there! 57% are forced into treatment by the criminal justice system, while only 15% admitted themselves to treatment. For comparison’s sake, over all drugs combined, 1/3rd of all admissions are self-admissions, marijuana is the drug with the lowest self-admission rates (lower than meth) and highest criminal justice-admission rates (higher than meth), and for alcohol, self-admission is around 29% and criminal justice (including DUI) admissions are only 42.5%.

37% of all people admitted for marijuana rehab didn't even use marijuana in the past month.

Even more interesting is a look at the actual substance use of the people admitted to treatment. Almost 4 out of ten marijuana smokers who are in treatment haven’t even used marijuana in thirty days!Again, for comparison, only 1 out of 4 alcohol admissions didn’t drink in the past month, and the number is only 1 in 6 for heroin.

Another interesting figure: almost 58% of marijuana admissions are first-time admissions to drug treatment, a number that seems suspisciously close to the 56.9% of admissions from criminal justice. That’s the highest first-time figure of all the common drugs (marijuana, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and meth). Of those drugs, marijuana and alcohol are the only ones where the majority of drug treatment admissions are not returns to treatment. Also, 31% of marijuana users in treatment are employed, a number twice that of heroin or cocaine admissions, but lower than the 42.5% of employed alcohol users in treatment.

Marijuana rehab is almost exclusively aimed at people under 25

Finally, 3/4ths of marijuana rehabbers are male, half are white, 2/3rds are under age 25. Marijuana has the lowest average age of admittance (24 years old), with all other drugs but inhalants and hallucinogens having average ages in the 30’s. The average alcohol or crack cocaine rehabber is 39 years old.

While we certainly prefer any marijuana smoker caught by law enforcement to be sent to rehab rather than jail, the sentencing of people to rehab who don’t really need it means we are wasting resources that could be better directed to the unfulfilled needs of hard drugs addicts. If alcohol and crack’s average rehab age was closer to 20 than to 40, how much time, money, and misery would we save in this country?

Instead we arrest mostly young people for their marijuana use, then sentence them to rehab, then cite the increasing numbers of young people in rehab for marijuana as proof of the increasing danger of marijuana, which is then used to justify arresting more mostly young people for their marijuana use.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Greater availability promotes more usage which promotes further amounts of abuse of the substance.

Is that a logical assessment ?

The interesting thing is though there have been surveys been taken asking a broad spectrum of the population if marijuana

should be legalized or not and the majority said no it shouldn't be........interesting

maybe thats the reason too that politicians don't want to get involved with this idea.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I said it before on a related thread. If it became legal to possess and use marijuana, it should still be illegal to perform certain tasks while under its influence, just like with the consumption of alcohol. As for marijuana being a gateway drug, in my opinion alcohol and nicotine are the real gateway drugs.

Once again, I recommend watching Super High Me. You can see it on You Tube.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I'll check it out Dave thanks

Dave did you read my post on the last page about that Television documentary , ....any comments ?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Homerovah,

I would like to see where you get your information from. I am not saying I disagree or dispute your information, just where are you getting it,

thanks,

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Lady Lee,

Do you really think if pot is legalized people will be able to smoke it publicly, you cannot drink publicly.

Actually, no pot is wasted, so I doubt you would ever see butts thrown down!!!!

The same laws that are imposed for being impaired while working, would apply to someone high as intoxicated, don't you think?

purps

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Where I stand on the legalization of pot is I don't don't think so, I guess I'm with the majority in this situation.

One of the reasons too I do believe its a gateway drug toward other harder drugs, people who are quite willing to do pot are more than

likely to try harder drugs , some unfortunately then don't leave those harder drugs and this where they really get into serious trouble.

But then there again there are some with a bit more common sense like myself and see their potential danger

and back away from them completely. Laws are implemented and created not for a select group of individuals but for the broad spectrum of the

greater population. Kind of like speed the limits on a freeway.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

What information are you referring to Purps ?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

this for one right now! thanks, purps

The interesting thing is though there have been surveys been taken asking a broad spectrum of the population if marijuana

should be legalized or not and the majority said no it shouldn't be........interesting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit