by undercover 57 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Someone close to Bill will die

What about Don?

Too important of a character?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No, not at all. But I can't see Don killing himself over losing his family. And I can't see him being in a situation where he would sacrifice himself to save Bill. That nearly happened when he walked in on the Green's strangling Bill.

Bill losing his brother, who is grieving the loss of his new wife (and maybe someone he loved more than his first wife?), would be more tragic and cause more poignancy to the story.

Just a guess, but Bill really did seem to have an epiphany laying there on the barn floor. I think that was important to what's coming next week.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Can't wait till next week!!!

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

I agree with you Big Tex. Bill does sympathize with Niki. And it seems as though he probably married her for more selfish reasons than pure love for her. He is so much like her how can he not sympathize with her?

He does anything he can to get his way, just like Niki he lies, cheats, and manipulates others to get what he wants. He claims it is all for the good of his family but it is more to do with his lust for power and revenge against the Roman Grant family.

I guess we do not know yet how broken Niki really is. Is she capable of being truly remorseful for her actions? I think so. I am not ready to say that she is an absolute sociopath as Barb suggested, although I can understand Barb thinking that about her.

I haven't been so emotionally involved in a show since the Sopranos. Although I must say I like this show better. I loved the Sopranos but the violence was too much for me at times.

• yknot
    yknot

I don't have HBO anymore but I watch online now

http://www.greatstufftv.com/?s=big+love

• rebel8
    rebel8

is she "broken" irretrivably, as in trying her best but the traumas of her past cause her current mistakes, OR is she "broken" because she embraces what has happened to her, learned from the manipulation

My guess--she had the chance to extricate herself from all of it when she married Bill. Since then she's had many chances to see how bad the people at the compound really are. She even saw the book her dad made, essentially pimping her out. She should have just said, screw this, I'm not having any contact w/these folks any more.

Yet she chose to keep manipulating, lying, and believing. We didn't.

• Humble your self
    Humble your self

Wow, its truely amazing how traumatized you are from being a ex Jw. It shows in your exagerated words and insults against them. I know for a fact that the comitees r not held in that matter, and even if you desagree with there ways, its not honest to respond the way you have, cause its not true.

In reality for all those non JWs or people that believe they are a cult, this movie is not showing the truth about how JW conduct there meetings and procedures. If you wanna find out the true-th just go to one of there meetings you will find out otherwise. Hehe

HUMBLE YOUR SELF

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Humble Yourself--

You may pick on minor details that don't mirror your experiences as a juror in a Mormon court of love. A small difference is that they would have dismissed Barb, and discussed amongst themselves before readmitting her to inform her of their decision. So they took a little bit of theatrical license. Big whoopdee. You can't deny that ecclesiastical abuse is happening in the Morg. You also can't deny that the Temple rites are a changing freak show. I mimed slitting my throat and belly starting in 1985. I KNOW HOW FREAKISH AND DISTURBING IT ALL IS. Further, the Morg excommunicates people for reasons that the rest of the world finds very disturbing.

This episode is merely exposing the uncomfortable cognitive dissonance members have about the temple.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Hang on sport (humble). First, Big Love is dealing with Mormons, not JWs. However, as has been discussed numerous times, there are similarities. Certainly the excommunication/disfellowshipping practice is similar. Being cut off forever from family is exactly the same. The only difference that I've noted is the everlasting cutting off is also in the afterlife (heaven) with the one being cut off cast into eternal darkness as opposed to the JW view of not being resurrected in paradise on earth. The net result is the same.

Secondly, I found the scene moving in that it was very similar to a judicial committee meeting. BTW - I'm still active and have set on the other side of the table from Barb many times. The question about a recording device is standard. I've never seen bags removed but in a high profile case such as the one depicted, I could see that happening. Also, I think there were 5 leaders there as opposed to the standard JC of 3. Again, in high profile cases, JCs don't have to be limited to 3 (see the Flock book for details). Finally, Barb was able to bring a witness to take notes. This is NOT allowed unless the person facing the JC is a minor, then the parent is allowed to sit in, according to the rules. I've heard cases of elders not following the rules regarding this.

The anxiety that the character showed is dead on. She was given a chance to repent which she said no to. She knew the axe was going to fall which of course it did. But, she did what she tought was right despite the consequences. Not saying I'm agreeing with her stance, just that at least she followed her convictions as did the committee however misguided both are.

Honestly, I felt deep shame in having ever participated in JCs. To watch the pain and to think about the pain others have gone through was tough. My heart goes out to all who have had to endure this type of treatment.

Edited - FM am I correct about shunning on the Mormon side?

• minimus
    minimus

I'll have to watch this show. I have HBO but never got into it.

And now, how do you think this might effect ever having a Mormon President? Poor Romney.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit