Big Love - temple scene and Barb's excommunication

by undercover 57 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Who saw Big Love last night?

...and here I thought JWs were fucked up...

The whole temple thing was just surreal. I've always liked Barber's Adagio, but that music made it even creepier...

JWs got nuthin on their temples and ceremonies...

JWs are cult lite compared to that shit...

But...

The disciplinary meeting that Barb went to with the elders...how deja vu was that? That was like sitting in a Judicial Committe meeting (except for Margene taking notes). They asked if she was recording the proceedings and even took her purse out of the room to make sure.

5 elders (I think I counted 5) against one lone woman (I'm sure Margene was not allowed to speak. She never said anything). I'm sure you "sisters" know that feeling well. They asked if she was wearing her undergarments. Good on Barb to turn that back on them...

I've never been DFd but have been on JC meetings. Watching that scene almost gave me an anxiety attack...I can only imagine how people who have gone through the worst of DFing or excommunication must have felt watching that.

But, it's good for non members to see how cults like the Mormons and JWs operate behind the scenes...the guilt and fear they put in people to keep them in line.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Is that program on American TV? When and what time? That experience sounds horrific. I would not have gone. I already made up my mind that I would never meet with the elders if they called me to come into a JC.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I was amazed at how similar the Mormon rites were to Freemasonry. Undercover you used the word I did on another thread -- creepy. It just gave me the willies. Dressed in those outfits and sitting down in that room that was supposed to be heaven, you wouldn't have been surprised to see two little girls say "Come play with us." Or to see a dancing dwarf who talks backwards, ala Twin Peaks.

Kinda made you wonder what the men's room looked like, didn't it?

And if I had not already had cult experience I would have been convinced HBO had made up that whole scene. Hopefully the average viewer had heard enough about the stink the Mormon leadership made about that scene that they'll know it's legit.

• undercover
    undercover
    Dressed in those outfits and sitting down in that room that was supposed to be heaven...

Yea, those outfits were bascially the Mormon version of a burka except with the Pillsbury Doughboy hat...

...had I not already had cult experience I would have been convinced HBO had made up that whole scene.

I went to an ex-Mormon board and from their comments it seems they got the temple scene pretty close. Maybe a few inconsistencies. Just shows how cultic that religion really is. I wonder how much damage control the religion will have to do after this season of the show ends...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

What struck me the most was when the woman in the heaven room told Barb and her mom and sister that her 15 minutes were up. LOL, I guess in the real world you get 15 minutes of fame, and in the Mormon world, you get 15 minutes of "heaven". It just goes to show that it's all bullshit.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I love that show. It is so well written. There are so many simulaties to the JW's that it can be surreal. I have flashbacks to what is was like having the elders show up at my home unannounced for a sheparding call (more like an inquisition).

• inkling
    inkling

I don't watch "Big Love" all the time, but I am watching this weeks episode,
    out of curiosity over the controversy surrounding it.

I'm only a few minutes into it, where the local LDS "Elders" are paying her
    a visit.

Wow, does it have eerie echos of a JW shepherding call.

Also, it's so messed up how they are going to punish her for a way of life
    THEIR OWN RELIGION sanctified and promoted in the first place.

[inkling]

• inkling
    inkling

Also, my favorite scene so far...

when they are driving, and Barb wants them to turn around, and Margie goes:
    "No!" and then locks the car door... as if Barb is going to jump out a a car moving
    down the highway.

Lol!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't have HBO... can I watch the episode on the HBO web site?

• inkling
    inkling
    I don't have HBO... can I watch the episode on the HBO web site?

Not that I know of.

HBO being a premium cable channel, they like you to pay for it by subscribing via cable TV.

It is availible via torrent sites like "isohunt" to be downloaded with programs like "utorrent",
    depending on your ethical stance on pirated TV.

[inkling]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit