Mom says "You will die at Armageddon" - good replies?

by serendipity 63 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

parakeet, I liked your reply #1

• carla
    carla

This bothers me so much that jw's will tell the 'doors' nobody knows who will make it or not yet they constantly tell their supposed loved ones that their very salvation is based upon going to meetings.

You could tell her your God is a God of love and not the god of the jw's so it really isn't an issue for you.

or throw a few of these at her:

Matt 7:1 " Judge not, that you be not judged.

Luke 6:37 " Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

• rebel8
    rebel8

"You're going die at Armageddon"

Is that your way to justify your behavior, mom? Do you believe making this proclamation justifies your judgmentalism and coldheartedness? Does it justify the bad things you do and say in the name of your religion? Does it make you feel morally superior?

[Usually @ this point I get a, "I've got to go," followed by a click.]

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I would say "Well Mom, I believe what we are told to tell people at the doors...that we dont KNOW who will die at Armageddon, and only Jehovah can read our hearts. I trust His judgement of me as a person, and I try to be a good person. There are a lot of people going to those meetings that arent nice people at all, so going to the meetings doesnt guarantee anybody survival."

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Many good responses so far - including yours.

I am not sure this makes much sense... I've always been very poor at 'confrontations' - especially with family. (My own mother has passed on - and we never got to talk one-on-one - always had other siblings in the room).

With that said, I think something along the lines of...

"In the middle ages - they burned people at the stake - claiming that they were witches - all in the name of religion. I would hope that religion has progressed beyond that 'middle-ages' mentality - but I see that the witnesses apparently haven't."

This would probably evoke some response along the lines of - "...but that was the Catholics - WE are much better than that."

Which might get a response similar to... "Really? Are you sure?"

Just something to think about.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

I like your response, Jim_TX

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would rather die at Armageddon than live in the New Dark Ages that awaits the witlesses.

• blondie
    blondie

So God is killing people for not attending meetings? What if they are sick and can't or are stuck in prison or in a nursing home?

So Jesus said that people would know who his disciples are because they attended meetings?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The marketability of Armageddon and its fearful destruction for which it portrays is everywhere even in the movies as astute businessmen

like C.T.Russell , Joseph Rutherford and the modern JWS today acknowledge that.

There are other individuals who are cashing in on it too like Jack Van Impe, Harold Camping, Herbert W. Armstrong .....etc.

I suppose as long as there are people that have the potential to believe in this sort of stuff it will

it will always have its commercial appeal. $$$

" You do want to save your life and the lives of others don't you ? " In are literature we have all the important information to

show you how you can accomplish that, since we are Gods voice and channel of communication here on earth.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

How about just asking her, "what if he doesn't...and you are punished for usurping God's judgment?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit