Mom says "You will die at Armageddon" - good replies?

by serendipity 63 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

My mother retired from her full-time job recently and has started attending meetings again. She also has plenty of time to think about her wayward children, including me. One night, we were talking and she asked me, again, why I wasn't going to meetings. I told her one of my "safe" reasons: how I always felt inadequate as a JW and it stressed me out. Then she began her "motivational" speech:

"What else do you have, other than the meetings? blah, blah, blah. Who else do you have, other than JW's? blah,blah,blah. When D. <my daughter> leaves home, do you think she'll want to spend time with you? Do you think that people you work with care about you? If you don't go to meetings, you'll be destroyed at Armageddon." She took a breath and I replied "Well, if Jehovah wants to do that, I trust his judgment of me." Stunned silence, then a tentative question: "you've given up?".

That was about all the motivation I could stand, so I asked her if she had anything upbuilding to say to me. She answered honestly: "No".

My daughter is a smart cookie. I told her about the conversation and she hit the nail on the head: "Some people need fear to motivate themselves."

How have you/would you reply when being told "You're going die at Armageddon".

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Cool .. might be more fun than dying in a nursing home.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

"Some people need fear to motivate themselves."

Wow. Smart Kid.

How about, "No, Mom, no one is going to die at Armegeddon. But we are all going to die." No, sorry, that is not actually what I would say to my Mom, I don't think... but... that's all I could think of at the moment.

Okay well then how about "Well Mom I have been told that all my life, and if that doesn't motivate me, then I guess you should understand how serious I take my doubts."

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I won't live long enough to die at armageddon. Neither will anyone else.

W

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

You could tell her how you were just reading about the 1921 convention where Brother Rutherford told all of the children not to get married, because the end of the world would happen in 1925. Because, after all, Millions Now Living Will Never Die.

You could then remind her that Jesus' insisted his load was light. Reassure her that you're actually doing 100% -- given your circumstances -- and that Jehovah is very much aware of those circumstances and he is helping you to endure in these last days.

You've never served with a view to men, but rather with a view to God. You've never felt closer to Jehovah and you can tell that he is blessing you. Your circumstances won't allow you to as "visible" as some of his other Sheep, but Jehovah loves you.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Everyone dies. Nobody gets out alive. Big deal.

S

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I would have told her as I have told my own parents " my, my how very judgemental of you".

• defective light
    defective light

I would tell mom streight up..... "you are fulla shit !"

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

You could say something like...

do you really think that is the best solution to the world's problems?

do you really think that the all-powerful and all-wise creator couldn't think of a better way to get his creation under control than murdering 99.9% of them in a wild killing orgy?

Then you could add...

You know Mom, if I was the all-wise and all-powerful creator, I don't think I could muster up enough evil to kill all those people including children and little old ladies. Does that make me better than god? Do you think that it's reasonable that I, as an imperfect person, would actually have better morals than Jehovah? It doesn't make sense does it? Yet if that is really God's intention then it would appear that I have superior morals. I find that odd, don't you?

The Oracle

• Satanus
    Satanus

You could tell her, that if it's true, then her god is a mass murderer and a psycho.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit