Mom says "You will die at Armageddon" - good replies?

by serendipity 63 Replies latest jw friends

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

say well the bible does say that any time two or more meet in his name thats church............ so dont you have an elder to call and confess your sins? you just went to church with me............ to bad your gonna now be dfed and then we can both lookforward to dieing together.

or how about............. $1000.00 bucks says i wont.............. then make her pay up in advance saying if she wins she can take the cash off my smouldering corpse

• garybuss
    garybuss

"You will die at Armageddon" is a Jehovah's Witness equivalent of saying: "You're going to go to hell.". It's only something an enemy would say to me. A friend would never say that to me.

"You will die at Armageddon" is offensive to me. That would be a third strike. I wouldn't welcome any further contact from a person who willfully disrespects me, my family, or people important to me. I've really only got a relatively small circle of people in my life. I don't have room or time for any rude or disrespectful people in my life at all.

I've been around Jehovah's Witness people my whole life and I've got to say, on aggregate, it's not been a good experience.

I set basic rules of decency as a basic part of my personal boundaries years ago and I've been rewarded with a way better life. Jehovah's Witness basic training actually focuses on disrespecting other people's personal boundaries. They actually take classes on how to be disrespectful. That just doesn't make it in my world.

• moshe
    moshe

I agree with Gary on the disrespect issue with JW's. They think they can say any hurtful thing in the name of Jehovah and get away with it. I would be expecting your mother to ante up the disrepect to you by putting you into the bad association category soon. JW's can get a chip in the big game by cutting off their family ties in an effort to shame them back to the meetings. They get an extra loyalty bonus points from the KH by doing that to relatives.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I copied and pasted onto a Word document all of your replies. They are all so good!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    How have you/would you reply when being told "You're going die at Armageddon"

if i had been sufficiently demotivated and peed off with her, my reply might be "And your point is?"

Or maybe a more tactful reply to leave the communication door open would be something like "i understand how you feel mum, but my feelings aren't the same. I guess I'm trusting my life and my future to Jehovah just as you are but in the only way I can at the moment. we can leave him to judge all our hearts."

• BU2B
    BU2B

bump and marked

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

How about responding to Mum's comment that you are going to die at Armageddon by the saying: 'Well there is about as much chance of that hapening as the generation of 1914 never dying!'

• MissyM
    MissyM

In 2bn years, we'll all be dead anyway.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

It will be a random, meaningless event like all the other random meaningless events that constitute our Universe.

Yes, but it seems Jehovah is not even able to protect JWs on much minor local catastrophes such as hurricanes and earthquakes. Why is that?

What great witnessing it would be if during those events not a single witness, or a kingdom hall was affected!! Clearly it would be evident to all that this organization would be the place to be.

But yet, they are affected at random just like any other person or building. How strange!!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nathan Natas - "If there ever is a global eco-disaster, it will not be managed by Jehovah & Company, and no 'select crowd' of religious fanatics will be spared."

I figured that out long before I started fading.

Which, of course, led to the inevitable question, "if being associated with the WTS won't necessarily protect me and mine in such a scenario, of what real value is that association?" (BTW, that question is also worth consideration when one remembers that the WTS has stated on occasion that even individual JWs might not survive the Big A).

I would argue, that "loving thy neighbor" would help, but then, anyone can do that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit