How many ATHEISTS don't believe that they came from FISH?

by hooberus 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus
    H. Sapiens came from "early fish" the same way that modern "fish" came from "early humans." How's that to confuse the issue? The phrase "came from" is not a sufficient point to get hung up on. Popular science articles will usually contain such simplifications. So do you or do you not understand what "came from" means in this context?

This is what I meant when I said "came from fish". Its a sketch of a "simplified family tree" from the 1968 Smithsonian book "The Evidence of Evolution". (I was unable to transfer a scan from the actual better imaged page to here from microsoft "word" - perhaps someone knows how.). Anyway the book is essentailly the same as below:

Compare this with the recent:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/1999/nov/04/fossils.uknews

"Humans are vertebrates, as are rabbits, eagles and frogs, and as such we are all evolved from fish,"

(The above pictures depicted ancient fish would of course also be the ancestor to the modern fish as well).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So what's the point?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I just found this great video about Ben Stein's "Expelled"

Dave

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

In an effort to provide a balanced, informed perspective I present this video:

People are not Animals!

Dave

• hooberus
    hooberus

"I just found this great video about Ben Stein's "Expelled""

Maybe you can post it here Dave:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/158917/1/ABIOGENESIS-and-the-EVOLUTION-DEBATE

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Rather than respond to an 8 month old post, I will respond here.

The cherry picked references in your post that include abiogenesis and "everything in the Universe" in "evolution" fail to differentiate between the broad definition of "evolution" as "change" and the specific Theory of Evolution that is based on natural selection in populations of living organisms. See Defining - What Is Evolution?

For example, when astronomers speak of stellar evolution, they are not refering to the Theory of Evolution of biological terrestrial organisms. Nevertheless, the Universe is "evolving" as are the galaxies and the stars within them. Astronomers can tell us quite a bit about how stars like our sun probably came into existence. They have a theory about where the matter and energy originally came from. However, there are things they still don't know, things they may never know.

Frankly, I know enough about astronomy and biological evolution now to say that I really could care less about this worn out debate anymore. I am satisfied with mainstream scientific explanations. My posts above were intended as a bit of humor. If you and Ben Stein want to believe in God and Creation, that is just fine. Oh, and yes, my ancestors (and yours) were animals, and some of them were like modern fish. What is so bad about that?

Dave

• Robdar
  • Spook
    Spook

I'll stick to my guns on the Decent quote. The implications of all the quotes were a follish straight line notion not in line with what modern science, or even Darwin at his time were trying to explain. Given I received no substantive response to any of the numerous points I made, I'll keep my powder dry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit