Extreme Home Makeover Fresno--JWs don't help their own

by LDH 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Three pages later and you still refuse to understand or even acknowledge that there is merit to the story. Repeating it won't help you. You will see what you want to see.

Yes, unfortunately I can only see what is there in reality and not the fantasy universe in your head.

I know; I'll start a post saying "Elder so and so raped me" and I'm sure you will understand that, and support THAT message.

Not necessarilly. I would tell you to take it to the proper authorities and make the complaint where it mattered - in court as I have before. Wild allegations don't help anyone.

As for how this relates in any way to this topic, I have no idea how (or whether) your mind works.

Forget about all the needy JWs in every congregation who have nowhere to go except to the Catholic Charities.

Oh, wait ... is this programme made by the Catholic Church? Are they the only charity? Please explain your argument ... it's far to clever for me to understand.

And needy JWs reading this, I hope it's not lost on YOU TOO, that those behaving like Jesus are most certainly not the World Headquarters of the Jehovah's Witness church.

Anyone reading this will probably believe everything the WTS has told them about people who leave and that they are looking for any excuse to criticise the WTS.

A better message would have been ... 'hey, the person being helped on the latest EHM programme is a JW ... glad she got the help she needs'

Seems like you have a giant chip on your shoulder or are just plain jealous. I can't decide which.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Simon, I agree that we haven't questioned where the churches were for any of the other recipients of makeovers on this show. However, I think LDH has a good point, too. For instance, if this EMH woman belonged to my Catholic parish, this is what would happen:

She would receive medical care in her home via the Sisters of Mercy.

Her children would attend the local parish school for free. Their school uniforms and supplies would be provided for free by the other parents and parishioners.

She would have groceries delivered to her home regularly (every week or two).

She would have someone take her to and from church and all of her doctor appointments. And if she wanted to attend Mass daily, someone would pick her up daily.

Her children would be picked up and taken on outings with the local youth group.

Her family would be provided a food basket for Thanskgiving and Christmas.

Her entire family would be provided gifts for Christmas.

Every day she is in the hospital, she would be visited by a member of the parish.

The Sisters of Mercy would provide her with someone to come in and clean her house weekly.

Once monthly, parishioners would do home repairs for her.

If her home was not livable, they would help her apply for a Habitat for Humanity home and we'd help build it for her. The parish and the school would take it on as a service project.

If she could no longer live in her home because of her disabilities, she'd move into Franciscan Manor and the nuns would take care of her for the rest of her life.

And this would be paid for mainly by donations from our parish, our deanery, our Archdiocese, and other Catholics around the country.

Now, if this woman was a JW in my old cong., she'd be on her own, living in a Medicaid-funded apartment, listening to the meetings via telephone hookup. She might get a shepherding call twice a year. But if she was in the hospital and needed blood, the HLC would be there for her in a heartbeat.

I say again, if you claim that you are God's representatives on Earth, people should be able to tell that by how you treat the less fortunate. And I think that was LDH's main point.

StAnn

• Simon
    Simon

Just noting that Angharad swore, and she didn't 'mis-spell' it either.

I don't think the two are equivalent at all. Yours is blatant bad-language by any standard whereas 'hell' is only a swear word to Ned Flanders and yourself.

John Doe called it. Passive Aggressive.

Yes, that's what people do when they have a weak argument ... they try and dismiss it with some label that no one really understands.

• Simon
    Simon

If everything about charities was true that people are making out then there would be no poor or needy - they would all be taken care of (and everyone who was needy would convert to being a catholic pretty damn quick IMO).

Sorry, I'm sure churches do help but the reality is that there are plenty of poor and needy people so the help gets stretched thin and it is not a forgone conclusion that anyone gets it as is being portrayed.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Simon, I can only speak for my own parish. My husband is part of the hospital ministry team and goes to visit people at our local hospital on the fourth Sunday of every month. Volunteers are assigned for every day of the month. I have worked on several Habitat for Humanity homes and they are a blast. I have delivered food to poor people in the neighborhood around my parish~all they have to do is make it known that they need help~and then we put them on the St. Vincent de Paul list and deliver to them every two weeks until they say they no longer need it. My fellow choir members provide in-home respite care for family members with developmentally disabled family members. We have a "giving tree" every Christmas where we have people anonymously provide gifts for people in the neighborhood, people in the parish, families from our parish school, and families from the local public school.

I could go on and on. The churches in my neighborhood (not Catholic) also have food banks and clothing banks and recovery groups for addicts. The local churches here all contribute and support Serve City, which is our local homeless shelter.

You are right, there are lots of poor people in need of assistance, more than currently receive assistance. What we need is more of what we have re: social services from the local churches, not more hours spent in field service. And, of course, a lot of the people being served are mentally ill and have been deinstitutionalized and can't really make it in the real world on their own. And a lot of them suffer from addictions.

I'm not saying there aren't still a lot of social problems to be addressed but things would be a lot worse for the people in my community if it weren't for the efforts of the churches. When the JWs go door to door asking for contributions to the Worldwide Work, I'm sure the people who contribute assume they are helping with social programs. If they knew their money was just going to help a publishing company pay legal fees and print more books, they wouldn't give a penny. You must admit, the Dubs are somewhat deceptive when they ask for donations.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

"everyone who was needy would convert to being a catholic pretty damn quick IMO"

Simon, I think LDH's point was that you don't HAVE to convert to get help from many of the churches, including mine. I would imagine that, if people thought they were going to have to listen to a sermon in order to get help, they wouldn't call my parish. However, it is true, and you know it, that the JWs generally only help other JWs who are in good standing.

I will admit that some people have converted to the Church so that their kids could get the parishioner discount in the school. Once their kids graduate, you never see them again.

StAnn

• restrangled
    restrangled

I haven't read all pages ......put please read!

2 years ago in Orlando a woman was chosen as the winner of the home makeover by this company. A huge mansion was constructed in one of the worst neighborhoods because she was taking in needy children.

What was not mentioned, was that all the neighbors knew she had been a drug addict since a teenager, had her own children removed, recovered, had her kids returned to her, and then started taking in other children. Started some kind of depot for clothing and food donations but it was considered bogus.

When this woman won the prize the neighbors were all furious....they saw everything daily and knew her history.

How do I know all this,.....part of the KH people and thier families that go to my moms hall have been in this neighborhood for over 100 years....they were quiet about it....but knew exactly what was happening and lived on the same street for many years....It even wound up in the local paper what a poor choice this was.

Sadly, these television shows pick the most outrageous situations , those that garner the most public sympathy, sometimes those not in the most need. You can film anything and edit it to garner sympathy.

I want to add one more thing....This woman if she is a JW....has the hope of the new order, you know, only JW's are getting in and will be perfect....so based on that hope from the FDS.....you know those old boys in Brooklyn how about this:

Letting someone who gave up their limbs in the recent war receive the prize you are about to get. One of those fellows who had their limbs blown off protecting your freedom. They have families and a life to live right now....

You, have hope for a future he doesn't have......Have faith in what you believe and it give it up to one of these war veterans....or cough cough, don't you really believe?

• LDH
    LDH

I say again, if you claim that you are God's representatives on Earth, people should be able to tell that by how you treat the less fortunate. And I think that was LDH's main point.

Nah, I'm sure Simon's right. I'm jealous. AND bitter.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

"We're real excited for Mary; she's real deserving," said a friend, Melanie Pool, who attends the same church as the Riojas family, the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witness congregation on North First Street.

READING COMPREHENSION 101: Pool simply states that they attend the same church. How very Theocratic. That, in and of itself, does not confirm that Ms. Riojas, her kids or even Melanie Pool are baptized Jehovah's Witnesses in good standing (TM).

Neither the Easter Seals or Home Makeover sites mention Riojas' religious affiliation at all. She's a very vocal lady, having been an Easter Seals ambassador and poster child. Yet no mention of Jehovah.

I'd need to know if: 1) Ms. Riojas is a bonafide baptized Witness and 2) if the Fresno Witnesses refused her prior assistance, before I could pass any judgement in this case. I don't have enough facts. She's a single, handicapped, mother of four and receiving help, that's all that matters!

What I DO know: "There but for the grace of God go I" stories help me appreciate how wonderful we able-bodied people have it, Watchtower cult or no cult. Just the fact that she was fostered by a migrant worker family, managed to get an education and put it to good use, hold down a job and get the hell OFF the welfare rolls is a success story in itself. She's setting a fabulous example for her kids, other handicapped people, and especially for all the able-bodied Welfare Queens both inside and outside the Watchtower cult.

Now, if a TV show decides to help her out, who am I to pi$$ on her parade?

To me, this appears more like Sister Melanie Pool is a busy-body JW looking to glom-off of Ms. Riojas' hard work and good fortune by sticking Jehovah's name in there for media attention. "Publish, publish, publish!"

So I wish Ms. Riojas and her kids the all the best in their new home. And I second the post on the tax implications, those extra taxes on home improvements are absolutely killer here in NJ.

~Sue

P.S.: In a perfect world, there would be a MAN or MEN providing for this disabled lady and their kids TOGETHER. I don't want OR expect the Watchtower or ANY charity and especially us RESPONSIBLE taxpayers to do so: I want a world where men are MEN and do right by their families in the first place. You breed 'em, you feed 'em! Something tells me there's a Baby Daddy (or 3 or 4) out there who's gonna move back in, once the cameras roll out. But again.... I don't have all the facts to pass judgement, just yet.
  • LDH
    LDH

Well. From the horse's mouth. But I'm sure you're not interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit