Extreme Home Makeover Fresno--JWs don't help their own

by LDH 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

So, by your reasoning only atheists (who belong to no church that should otherwise help them) should ever be helped by the program? How about people working for big companies too? Yeah ... only atheist small business owners or their employees or the unemployed should EVER be helped right?

Face it, it is the weakest of arguments and ringing the producers or bethel or whoever just makes you look petty, bitter and / or jealous.

There have been plenty of unpleasant, unkind and downright nasty comments already on this topic and I see you have now started being insulting and name-calling.

• LDH
    LDH

Angharad, what the fcuk are you talking about?

Let me help you.

1. There is a woman greatly in need of, and deserving of help.

2. Worldly people saw it, were moved by it, and responded to the call.

3. Said woman belongs to a religion that calls itself the ONLY TRUE RELIGION, yet even in the smallest of situations, that religion is not moved to follow the example of Jesus.

Does that help?

• Simon
    Simon

LDH

1. Do not use bad language on the site, even if you mis-spell it.

2. I posted the above (was logged on as Angharad but corrected it)

3. What exactly are you complaining about?

THINK for a second. You are complaining that the WTS and congregation haven't helped her (even though you don't know what help she has or hasn't received) and want to cause some stink over it and yet don't consider the religion or otherwise of every other person that has been helped by the same programme. Why didn't their churches help them?

Do you have any idea of how it sounds? It just makes YOU sound like someone who is petty and jealous, nothing more. You don't care about the woman involved, you just have some 'point' you want to make. 3rd parties wouldn't see the point you are making because it is so weak and trying to make it would just undermine all the powerful and justified criticism people make.

• LDH
    LDH

3. What exactly are you complaining about?

Three pages later and you still refuse to understand or even acknowledge that there is merit to the story. Repeating it won't help you. You will see what you want to see.

I know; I'll start a post saying "Elder so and so raped me" and I'm sure you will understand that, and support THAT message.

Forget about all the needy JWs in every congregation who have nowhere to go except to the Catholic Charities.

And needy JWs reading this, I hope it's not lost on YOU TOO, that those behaving like Jesus are most certainly not the World Headquarters of the Jehovah's Witness church.

• LDH
    LDH

Why the hell would you do that?

Just noting that Angharad swore, and she didn't 'mis-spell' it either.

John Doe called it. Passive Aggressive.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Angharad, what the fcuk are you talking about?
    Let me help you.
    1. There is a woman greatly in need of, and deserving of help.
    2. Worldly people saw it, were moved by it, and responded to the call.
    3. Said woman belongs to a religion that calls itself the ONLY TRUE RELIGION, yet even in the smallest of situations, that religion is not moved to follow the example of Jesus.

Does that help?..
    .................................................................................................................................................................................................................Actually..No it does not help.........................................A woman with Multiple Handicaps including being a JW had something nice done for her.....Now you want to call the producers of the show and Pee in her Cornflakes..LOL!!...........Why?......It will ruin,what should be a happy occasion for her..Just so you can get at the WBT$!.....???????...... ................The WBT$ is an easy target..We can nail them anytime,anywhere.....Let the poor woman have her Moment of Happiness,in Peace....................................

Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• LDH
    LDH

Ummmm....where did *I* say anywhere I was calling the producers of the show? Re-read the thread. I said I was calling JR brown.

It is appropriate to get the perspective of the WT spokesperson, don't you think?

I think it was about 4 years ago I called JR Brown when the Cano Pedophile story broke to get his comments on TAPE, which was downloaded what, like 25,000 times?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

as to this topic...It doesnt matter if the local dubs helped this woman or not. Someone helped her. To be certain..it was not for purely altruistic reasons that the producers do this.... It makes good TV....good TV draws eyeballs.....eyeballs means people who will watch advertising (including all of the product placements in the homes they build)....advertising pays for TV..... that otherwise you and I would have to pay for. The cost of the advertising is eventually included in the cost of the products we buy. (If we dont buy that product, we watch the program for free, if we do buy the product, then we paid for the program).

The JW (or whomever) gets a new house (in the old days, EHM just renovated...but there were legal/logistical problems with doing it that way..so now they just demolish and rebuild)... everyone wins.

What bothers me about EHM is that they build these outlandishly fancy houses that the homeowner could never afford normally. I have often wondered about the taxation issue.... the builder and/or community usually pays off the mortgage and even provides a maintenance fund...but who pays the increased value of the new home?

Do they really need all the latest gadgets.....no..but its donated by the manufacturers.... Some things I understand (ie, the latest in air filtration for those with environmental allergy issues), or the huge house for the family that adopts a dozen kids (otherwise the government would be housing them)..... but do these kids really need these outlandish rooms that they will outgrow (mature out of) in a few years anyway? No..but it makes great TV.

But the sister that is helped by EXM...who cares if the dubs didnt help her out.... she got help, thats all that matters.

Now...as a side (but related) issue... about dubs helping their own...

As a former elder, I can tell you that there is no organized system to help JWs in need. Yes there is the Disaster Relief Fund (now rolled into the Worldwide Work fund) that has helped some (ie, Katrina) but I was disturbed by the request of the RBCs to be reimbursed by the JW that is assisted (out of the insurance/government money) for materials and labor. The labor was donated..why should the Regional be reimbursed with all of the insurance money? The JW that is helped with home repairs in that situation will certainly need some of the insurance money to buy new furniture, etc. I can understand being reimbursed for materials, that makes sense of course. But to donate it all (or be pressured or "guilted" into it, as I know some were) is unreasonable.

Let me give you an example I know of first hand in my old congo where elders dont help there own but churches did:

When there was a huge power outage in my area in the summer of 2006, do you think the elders in my old congo helped anyone but themselves and their families? NOooooo. I know of one elderly sister (who doesnt have a dime to donate when she dies) who lived in a senior high rise. Everyone in the high rise was evacuated to a neighborhood church basement where they got 3 square meals a day and a cot and their basic needs met. That was the evacuation plan for the building..understood. But 3 days???? Where were the elders? They never checked on her or the other sister in the senior building. (but those widowed sisters that had money that was being willed to the KH, you can be certain they were checked in on by the elders personally)

You can be certain that the "worldly" relatives of the elderly sisters were not impressed by the lack of love shown by the elders. (I may have been off the hook because I was out of town at the time, but I was still ashamed of what "we" as a collective body failed to do....I was approached about it when I returned by both sisters and their relatives).

When I asked the BOE and the CO about it, they said they "knew" the sisters were being cared for.... no...they didnt know anything until they were told days later. One of the sisters started making phone calls around on her own..once the PO got wind of that..then he took it upon himself to continue it.... No love at all.

Another reason I have no use for the WTBTS...they should lose their tax-exempt status unless they provide meaningful social programs... (not the useless "Education work")

Snakes ()

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LDH..My Mistake..It was my Board Bud "StAnn" that made that remark..LOL!!.......Your the one who wants to fly JR Brown in..??..LOL!!.........So I appologise for that mistake.............I am trying to make a point though......Your not wrong about the WBT$.....But..It really is a mistake to go after this,because of the person involved.....Sometimes it`s not enough to be right....We can still get results by taking another road and not hurt an already damaged person........................................StAnn..We have talked often..I know you mean well.....But..No Pee`in,in the CornFlakes!..LOL!!...........................

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• StAnn
    StAnn

I was making a joke!!!! A bad one that no one got, but just a joke. Or a snide comment, if you will, that these same people from whom the local cong. will gladly take assistance are the ones they are frothing at the mouth about, hoping Jehooba will kill them off and leave their corpses exposed for the birds to eat.

I am grateful, extremely grateful, that they are helping this woman. Whether it's altruism or just good tv, I don't care about their motivation. She needs the help and she's getting it. Wish they'd come to my house, if any of you want to nominate me....I'll put up with the increased property taxes!

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit