Extreme Home Makeover Fresno--JWs don't help their own

by LDH 81 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    Hell has frozen over, because I'm supporting LDH!

So you all think that if the WT threw some can goods out for the poor people, then they would be an "allright" organization?

Talk about selling your soul for a bowl of soup!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I've found the answer to my question:

1) the homeowner pays no capital taxes...

but

2) their city/county taxes can up up significantly!

http://www.thedigeratilife.com/blog/index.php/2007/05/03/extreme-makeover-home-edition-lessons-pay-taxes-on-your-winnings/

• DaCheech
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

Thanks for the info DaCheech..I always wondered too. But it doesn't say if the renting the house sticks as a tsax break..HR block says it probably won't, but shouldn't they know by now after so many shows have been done?

Snoozy..

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

A JW would have to question, when they recieve good things from those outside the organization, their rationalization that Jehovah is helping/providing for them. Why would Jehovah use a worldly person to do this?

Good point, Purps.

After this renovation is done, do you think we should tell Extreme Makeover how the Dubs view them as satanic bird seed?

StAnn

My point is, we are all on this planet together, it's not all US and THEM. We gotta help each other out and recognize and appreciate when that is done, no matter the source. I think the organization would do well to acknowledge that. Well, and some of us Apostates.

purps

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

As long as people look to any organization or governance for aid, they subject themselves to be subject to the "divine right of kings".

We, as individuals, should be helping each other. Once you become dependent on organizations, they have a recruitment agenda.

What ever happened to old fashioned "barn-builds"?

When the governance falls and these "charitable" organizations take the lead, as NGO's are destined to do.....be prepared to be under their subjection and rules.

• LDH
    LDH

Ah, yes, much more important things to talk about eh? Such as, the JW issues YOU think are important, eh?

Anyone that knows me knows that for YEARS I have espoused charitable donations both to people that you know personally in need, and also through organized charities.

The fact remains that Jesus fed, on more than one occasion, people that he KNEW were not interested in his mission. The JWs may help individual people within the congregation, IF they are in good standing. They will also counsel the same to use the 'governmental' authorities and they will usually help that person only ONCE, in a blue moon.

Any ex-elders here who can dispute that, and who can provide, even anecdotal proof that there is a more organized system of taking care of widows and orphans?

And it's not up to US to decide what might appeal to or offend those unnamed readers, as long as we're speaking the truth. I don't personally believe that talking about child molestation on every other page is necessary, but I don't open my mouth about it, do I? For all I know, there is someone who may recognize that as the kernel of light that moves them to leave the JW religion.

• LDH
    LDH

• Simon
    Simon
    And it's not up to US to decide what might appeal to or offend those unnamed readers, as long as we're speaking the truth.

Yes, but we can use a little bit of common sense and imagine how petty and bitter it would look if we were effectively 'complaining' about how this woman had been helped.

Just 'being happy for her' sends out a much better message IMO.

• LDH
    LDH

Ah Simon, that's the crux of the issue isn't it? Has even one person on this thread complained that this woman's life was going to be helped?

LDH is not saying that individual members of the Handicapped Woman in Fresno's congregation haven't helped her. We don't know if they have or haven't. She's bemoaning the fact that a worldwide, multi-billion dollar "religion" refuses to have an institutional response to the plight of the needy, even though Jesus said that helping the poor was a primary mission of the Church.

It is unchristian to ignore the needs of the poor. Telling them "the new system is just around the corner" is not taking care of them.

To St. Ann, and Gozz, and to others who actually have a kernel of brainpower to understand that this thread isn't about a woman, but rather about the organization, I tip my hat to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit