Extreme Home Makeover Fresno--JWs don't help their own

by LDH 81 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Simon,

What YOU are reading into this is that I said anything negative about this woman! You really like to read into things, assuming what other people MIGHT be thinking. I don't care about her appearance, and I'm just as happy for her as for any other deserving family --and they are deserving!!!!!!

As for the reading or knowledge you have on Catholic Charities, you don't have much! Yes, individual people donate to them. The difference, which you fail to see, is an ORGANIZED system of giving so that anyone that meets the qualifications of need can apply--not just catholics in good standing!!!!! What the local congregation does or doesn't do is directly related to how 'strong' or how 'week' you are in the 'truth!' Our local congregation frequently helped JWs in need, as long as they were considered a good example in the congreagation. Therefore, "need" is very subjective and based on a case-by-case basis.

Sure, they'll help you fly for bloodless surgery since it meets their selfish needs, but will they help you pay rent? Hell no.

You can't compare one to the other.

Catholic Charities

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search Catholic Charities official logo

Catholic Charities is a worldwide network of charities whose aim is to "reduce poverty, support families, and empower communities." [ 1 ] It is one of the largest and most respected charities. [ 2 ] Catholic Charities traces its origin to an orphanage founded in 1727 in New Orleans, Louisiana by the FrenchUrsulines Sisters.

Catholic Charities, USA (CCUSA), with headquarters in Alexandria, Virginia, is recognized as one of the nation's largest voluntary social service networks. It was founded in 1910 as the National Conference of Catholic Charities. More than 1,400 agencies, institutions and organizations make up the Catholic Charities network - including individual organizations of the dioceses, such as the Archdiocese of Chicago. Nearly 90 cents of every dollar donated to Catholic Charities agencies goes directly to programs and services. [ 3 ]

Together, with the local, diocesan Catholic Charities affiliates, Catholic Charities is the second largest social service provider in the United States and it is only surpassed by the US Federal Government. Often, this means that the CCUSA network is able to provide assistance which other agencies are simply unable to provide or in circumstances where the other assistance is insufficient to provide the necessary aid.

Gozz, you get it.

• LDH
    LDH

Together, with the local, diocesan Catholic Charities affiliates, Catholic Charities is the second largest social service provider in the United States and it is only surpassed by the US Federal Government. Often, this means that the CCUSA network is able to provide assistance which other agencies are simply unable to provide or in circumstances where the other assistance is insufficient to provide the necessary aid.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

JW's are well aware that they don't have much anything in the way of outreach programs for their members who are suffering, such as the woman recieving this house.

JW's would counter that they do rebuild houses after big natural disasters, such as Katrina. While this is true, the work they do has a very "p.r." feel to it, and I think it is suspect in the way they ask members to then donate back their insurance monies (not absolutely sure about this point, so don't quote me). Also, it begs the question: if they can recognize a need after a big natural disaster, why can't they recognize the more mundane (but just as real) needs of people suffering due to other circumstances.... such as the woman mentioned in the original post? Afterall, after a big storm, theoretically, if there is a functioning government there would be government assistance for all storm victims, regardless of religion.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hell has frozen over, because I'm supporting LDH! Just today, my priest called me because a woman in the neighborhood near our church called the rectory and told the priest she has three children and no food. Could he help? He gave me $100 and sent me to the grocery store. This woman is not a member of our parish and is not Catholic. Father didn't even meet her and didn't ask her why she was in this predicament. And ours isn't a rich parish. Now we'll submit this woman's name and address to our local St. Vincent de Paul Society, who will deliver groceries to her twice a month, no questions asked. And the SVdP is all run by Catholic volunteers and all of the money for food is donated.

LDH is not saying that individual members of the Handicapped Woman in Fresno's congregation haven't helped her. We don't know if they have or haven't. She's bemoaning the fact that a worldwide, multi-billion dollar "religion" refuses to have an institutional response to the plight of the needy, even though Jesus said that helping the poor was a primary mission of the Church.

It is unchristian to ignore the needs of the poor. Telling them "the new system is just around the corner" is not taking care of them.

StAnn

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

A JW would have to question, when they recieve good things from those outside the organization, their rationalization that Jehovah is helping/providing for them. Why would Jehovah use a worldly person to do this?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Good point, Purps.

After this renovation is done, do you think we should tell Extreme Makeover how the Dubs view them as satanic bird seed?

StAnn

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    Catholic Charities is the second largest social service provider in the United States

Oh ya. The good ole Catholic church. That benevolent group who went into Africa bringing rice and sweet potatoes to the poor people. Trouble was, you had to play their game and come to sunday school before they would give you a potato. You couldn't have any rice unless you were agreeable to sit through hours of their spiels and show interest in being baptised and giving up your personal power to them.

Don't think any of these 501c3 groups are without ulterior motive.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

seriously, are the recipients liable for getting taxed on such a gift?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Now that the Congregation knows she going to have a really nice home, I hope the Elders don't rush over and try to con her into deeding in to the Borg when she dies, or conning her into signing a Life Estate document, which "lets" her stay in her own home when she dies and then ownership of it automatically passes to the WTS. That's the easiest way to do it: no probate, no legal fees, nothing. It's automatic.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they did, either.

Farkel

• Angharad
    Angharad
    After this renovation is done, do you think we should tell Extreme Makeover how the Dubs view them as satanic bird seed?

Why the hell would you do that? Why is it anyone on this boards business at all to go and call the show and try and interfere in such a way, and don't you think that it is a huge generalisation to say that all Dubs think this way. The majority of JWs are sincere honest people, why would anyone want to call the show and try to imply that this woman thinks like this when you actually know nothing about her and what she believes?

There are much bigger issues and problems with the JWs than one person being given a gift that they obviously need and that will improve their quality of life. For people to latch onto this and try and make a big issue about how the WTS hasn't done anything for her just seems petty. There are bigger more legitimate things the hold the society accountable for than one woman receiving some help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit