Extreme Home Makeover Fresno--JWs don't help their own

by LDH 81 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Wow, I hope she loves her new home, and I hope that her friends, every time they visit her, are reminded of the kindness of all those who helped to make it for her. It will be a long lasting 'witness' to them of what the world is really like. Her kids too! They are going to REALLY learn some things about 'the world' that they never would in a shack reluctantly visited by the local friends.

While the show IS a show, it is filled each week with a lot of people who volunteer their time and products to make it happen. MOST of those people are not getting free advertising(or not enough to matter-a line at the end of the credits) out of it, or a salary, they are just doing it for their neighbors.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Purps,

I really enjoyed your comment. Something that always made me think twice as a JW was when I would meet people "in the world" who were kind, decent, caring people. I knew that many of them would never become JWs and therefore, according to WT doctrine, be executed by Jehovah. I just couldn't see how this was right, or how a loving God would kill good people just because they didn't belong to the right religion.

• LDH
    LDH

LDH

You are dead wrong and you are coming up with things that are completely irrelevant.

You are judging this woman as though she is the WTS. She is no more 'the WTS' than any single Catholic is 'the Catholic Church'.

No Simon, I did not say ONE NEGATIVE WORD about this woman or her children. It's YOU who is wrong. This thread is not about that woman, it is about the fact that she, while being a single, handicapped mother, is NOT GETTING HELP from the people who claim to be the Only True Christians!

She's getting help from the rest of the human family. Not the JWs. And the 3,500 volunteers that were requested to help? Filled almost immediately.

You can't see the forest for the trees.

That woman deserves help and respect for raising four great teenagers as a single working parent, and handicapped on top of that. Too bad the JWs don't have programs to help people like her.

So now are you ready to get the conversation back on track> To the fact that the JW religion has NO ORGANIZED CHARITABLE GIVING, never has and never will.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I am just laghing because our own Slayer Layer works on the set for that show now. I wonder if it is his group?

• LDH
    LDH

PS Simon you mention how do we know people in the congregation didn't help? I'm sure they helped. Again, that's not the point. The point is that HEADQUARTERS of the WBTS will never give away ONE PENNY to those in need.

Somewhere on this forum is the story of some JW whose home was destroyed by a tornado. The "JWS" lovingly helped that family rebuild, and then headquarters sent a letter to the family to repay them when they got their insurance settlement. It wasn't done out of charity. Perhaps someone can find that story.

How different from Jesus, who fed people EVEN WHEN HE KNEW THEY WEREN'T THERE TO HEAR HIS MESSAGE. He fed people simply because they were hungry. What a thought.

• Gozz
    Gozz

LDH is making quite a powerful point: the same Christian Congregation claiming that the love amongst themselves is the true mark of their discipleship of Jesus Christ, who are organised to accomplish God's true work on earth, isn't organised to help the most needy amongst them. This is the point, and it's powerful.

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think the Catholic church donates it's own monies ... but they help run the charities that do (channel the money that people donate).

What I think you are doing is being a steryotype of an apostate that the WTS promotes ... anyone reading this would perhaps come away with the impression that we're a little bitter and twisted and begrudge some good befalling a JW whether they need it or not. We can't just 'be happy' for her, we have to try and turn it into an attack on the WTS.

There are plenty of things to attack them for and hold them to account over, trying to do it on unrelated matters just weakens the overall message IMO.

Again, you are judging the local congregation as though it is the WTS ... it is not. You do not know how many people there have helped her or what help they are able to provide.

• Priest73
    Priest73

how the hell did she have kids? You guys are missing the real issue.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Simon I have a message for you in Tech support...

And concenring the support from the JW's..when I needed an operation when my kids were very small they rallied together to buy me and hubby airfare to Texas so I could have it done without blood..it wasn't easy to find a surgeon that wouldn't give blood in thoses days..they also helped another family that 's son had an appendix burst..they got his family plane tickets also..the hospital told him he would die without blood..he went to texas and survived just fine.

I saw the witnesses be very caring and supportive..when someone got sick or had problems I saw real conern in their eyes. Yes there were some that were just so self centered and hypocritical but that is true in all religions..
    I had the experience to go to a Catholic funeral for a close friend and was surprised at the unity there..they were all very close and caring with one another..I am sure that at home and in their real life they have faults and problems just like everyone else.

I think the ones that have JW relatives are the ones that just can't let go of the anger.They have a reminder of the evil part of the JW's almost everyday. It has to be so hard for them..I can totally understand why some would have such a bad view of the witnesses when they are exposed to that constantly by their families. It's funny that I was always taught about how horrible the Catholic Church was and how they would excommunicate people..I just thought that was horrible..well no Catholic I know has ever heard of someone being excommunicated..it seems the JW's are the ones doing it. So that would make them hypocrites right there.. and they take it to extremes..(Most of them).

As far as the JW women getting the new house..I have to agree, I have heard of a few that had money trouble and had to go bankrupt. I think they must have to sign some kind of legal papers so they can't sell or mortgage the new house..and I wonder if their old morgage is always paid off? The taxes on those houses must be enormous plus the gift tax would put them in the poor house!

I wonder if Slayer has any info concerning this?

Snoozy

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Nothing against the JW's but something against that SHOW. Did you know that a HUGE segment of those they build houses for lose the house within a few years?

They build them a mansion and they have taxes that are higher than most peoples mortgages or huge houses that they can't afford to heat and cool or they are just stupid (come on a LOT of these people are in the situation they are in because of making bad decision after bad decision after bad decision... Maybe not all but MOST) Why not build them a nice SANE house that they could afford to keep?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit