"Something in the congregation is hindering the flow of Jehovah's holy spirit" - witch hunt JW style?

by slimboyfat 68 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

We often had the Achan talk. Particularly if someone was disfellowshipped would people say they had felt that the congregation had lost God's spirit but now it had returned.

I guess I fell for the superstition, so when I no longer believed in the GB I thought I would test it by committing sins (particularly apostate speech but lots of little things like gambling or smoking from time to time) and see how long it would take for the Holy Spirit to uncover my wrongdoing. It took 10 years before I was disfellowshipped, so I feel I well and truly proven God's spirit was directing the elders.

• delilah
    delilah

"I mean there were about 3 or 4 of us left, just the pimply unpopular teens who had no opportunity to sin because we were never invited to anything. Apparently it was drugs and sex."

Rebel, you must have been in my congregation, as the exact same thing happened.... and two of the teens df'd were elders kids who were the biggest drug dealers in the school....

Funny they would send in a special pioneer for this...where was he when they needed that in my old congregation? Two of the elders were carrying on affairs, one lied for almost 3 years until he was finally caught, the other continued to lie, but finally stepped down for a period of time, then was made an elder again after I left...he just moved recently...I wonder if the "air" has finally cleared??? Not interested enough to go and find out!!

It certainly sounds like a witch-hunt to me....

• carla
    carla

So how do they know when they get the spirit back? More money flows in? more converts? Jah can't be everywhere and has a location according to jw's but his active force (that has no personality) can be everywhere and even though it is not a 'person' can report back to jah? As a jw how did you reconsile the wt bashing Catholics for confession when the jw's have basically the same thing? One must confess to the elders and suffer the consequences and public humiliation and only considered 'forgiven' when three mere men consider you repentent enough. If one does not confess sins jah's spirit may be taken away from the entire cong, great way to keep the sheeple in line I suppose.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Wonder why they don't go through the likely suspects 'cast lots' or magic dice on them, to see who is the guilty one. Afterall, it is part of the same story. The ot jews did it, the nt christians cast lots to decide who would replace the traitor. Come to think of it, they could follow that 1st century christian tradition when appointing new elders.

S

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They are looking for a scapegoat.

Here is what will happen:

1. The rumor mill will go nuts.

2. One or two particular rumors will gain momentum and stand out from the rest

3. Anyone at the center of the rumor(s) will be demonized and ostracized.

4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 until more money shows up in the caufers and more field service hours are reported*.

*Note: Reported Hours is not the same as Actual Hours.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I really think this thread should be at least 5 pages by now... so... who here on JWN is blocking the flow of Hojovah's Holey Spirit...?

CONFESSIONS PEOPLE!!!!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I went to a meeting two weeks ago - so maybe it's me. I am hindering the spirit of apostate flowingness by my relative JW holiness in comparison with the rest of you lot.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

SBF,

I believe you have two options to revive the flow of ApostaSpirit. At the next meeting you attend, you can...
    A) ... stand up and shout, "This is nothing but a pack of lies!!!"
    B) ... emit a silent-but-deadly fart.

Or if you can get your hands on the demon-possessed blouse that Shamus was talking about, that could lead to some interesting adventures.

B the X

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

The last of Jehovah's spirit officially fled these YAHOO's during the 2005 Annual Meeting, when Anthony Morris, 2 months into being appointed as a GB member, gave the concluding prayer.

In this prayer, he went on for 2 whole minutes about FREDRICKA FRANZ AND NATHANIEL KNORR!!!! IN PRAYER!!!! AT THE 2005 ANNUAL MEETING!!! TALKING ABOUT HOW JEHOVAH "USED THESE MEN".

I was struck by (in my view at the time) the sheer naked attempt to kiss up to Barber, Barr, and esp Jaracz! In a FREAKING PRAYER!!!

I was pissed. Another nail in the coffin in my exit from this cult.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

JEFF SAYS,

Any and all "spirit" related problems in a congregation are in direct proportion to the personality and "common sense" of the elders in that congregation. (or lack therof)

Yes, and this same observation is made regularly in the evangelical churches. For the same reasons.

People perceiving a "bad spirit" is often just a disturbance in their personal game. If they can't work others the way they want, it is a "bad spirit." Translated, it usually means, "Someone's in my space!"

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit