Is it possible for a child to be exposed to JWism and not be damaged by it?

by Mickey mouse 140 Replies latest jw experiences

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I would challenge those who say they are not effected as to being either disingenuous, or not that bright.

I wouldnt say I've not been effected by it, but then again I would have been effected by a Catholic, Muslim, Hindu etc upbringing.

I get so tired of the idea that we are only injured because we choose to be, or can't grow up etc. etc

I would say you havent been damaged (my opinion I know) because of your next statement.

I have done extremely well for myself.

I would not go back in time and change my JW upbringing for all the money in the world. I would not be who I am today without my past. I LOVE who I am today.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Luck has nothing to do with it JG. Bootstraps do.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

IP-SEC, just because a person does extremely well, does not mean that they were never damaged. Some people are damaged, some are not, some are damaged beyond repair.

I would trade my JW upbringing in a heartbeat.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Is it possible for a child to be exposed to JWism and not be damaged by it?

Yes I like to believe that most things are possible. Rare but possible

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You know what you can do with those bootstraps

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I understand that JG. Im not saying no one is hurt by it. Hell, if i child dies from no blood, that is the ultimate damage.

The question posed in the topic is "is it possible for a child to be exposed to JWism and not be damaged by it."

The answer is YES.

Sorry you are damaged JG.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks, I already know the answer is yes in some circumstances, what I don't like is when someone is downgrading another's experience in the JW org. Beksbks obviously felt like her JW chidhood was damaging to her (only she knows whether it is or isn't).

If I wanted to sing the praises of the JW religion I would go to a Kingdom Hall and not a discussion board for people who have escaped.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    If I wanted to sing the praises of the JW religion

JG you know Im the last person to sing the praises of JW (or any other religion) At the same time I see people here constantly blaming everything from bad relationships to bunions on the JWs. I shake my head knowing that a lot of these things are just a part of human experience. To be fair JWs are far from the worst thing in the world. Regardless of what any of you think there is evil out there that far surpasses JWism.

Can growing up a JW make for extra challenges? Yes. Whats wrong with a challenge? Its been hard work to get to the point I can have normal relationships with people; not fear armageddon. etc. Im rather proud of my reaction to those challenges. I would not have that source of pride had I never had to face and overcome them.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I now get what you are saying. I too am proud that I no longer fear Armageddon, I too am proud that I was able to form normal relationships with people, but all of these were in spite of the JW influence that never should have been there in the first place.

Oh and just to be fair I have seen numerous people on here blame George Bush for everything wrong in their lives--all the while forgetting it was the Watchtower Society that hindered them from getting a decent education in the first place.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I was a born in to the JWS and just after leaving the JWS and still religiously minded of course I formed a singing trio,

This is are group photo and thats me on the right, I had to put a lot of make up on before the shoot to cover my 5 o'clock shadow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit