What non-issues did you get "counseled" about?

by rebel8 60 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

I was counselled for saying "of-ten" in a talk. I was told that the "t" was silent and that I had pronounced a hard "t". Since I was considered one of the best female speakers in the cong., it was imperative that I research my pronunciations because others might emulate me and it would be an embarrassment if someone misspoke in the field because they were copying my speech.

No joke. All that because I said "of-ten."

BTW, the elder was wrong. According to Merriam-Webster, I can pronounce it either way:

Main Entry:
    of·ten 
          Listen to the pronunciation of often
          Listen to the pronunciation of often
    Pronunciation:
    \ ' o ? -f?n, ÷ ' o ? f-t?n\
    Function:
    adverb
    Etymology:
    Middle English, alteration of oft
    Date:
    14th century
    : many times :frequently Still pissed about that. StAnn
  • rebel8
    rebel8

So many funny stories!

the evils of coral!

of-ten!!!

ninja, I am hoping you meant either a #2 talk or you were making that up!

• carla
    carla

Stilla- "quoting a scripture in a prayer" --- are you kidding? or was it the 'wrong' kind of scripture?

daniel- how could your hair be too short? (assuming you are male)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Wearing white socks. I was told homosexuals wear white socks and I don't want to stumble people.

• dinah
    dinah

It's hard to believe we used to allow ourselves to be belittled like that.

The red shoe thingy about killed me!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was counselled because my return visits were too far apart and I did not have a car. This was when I was young and quite zealous and did pioneering on school holidays. Because it sometimes took me 20 minutes to walk between calls the elders felt the time I was handing in was not genuine. It was another brother, not an elder, I had working with me on the ministry who alerted the elders to this matter of great concern.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My family was told that if we had dinner with my disfellowshiped Sister we would be disfellowshiped.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

For one, I got hounded to go out in field circus more to start the new circus year. It was still early in the week in September, and I hadn't gone out yet (something like the 3rd of the month).

Then I have had issues about dress. Shoes that were slightly scuffed or worn (they apparently thought I could come up with $80 on the spot for new shoes). Dress shirts that were pale yellow with a tan suit coat (they wanted white). Not dry cleaning my suits often enough. Having my collar button undone when it was very hot and muggy (it was about 95 that day, and humid).

And, the one that did it for me was when they told me to just meet men at the a$$emblies. After that, I was outbound and would ultimately turn apostate. Hopefully, they are embarrassed to see that counsel on an apostate board.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Wearing white socks. I was told homosexuals wear white socks and I don't want to stumble people.

Athletes also wear white socks. Have you ever saw a basketball star with any other color socks?

I always preferred dark socks because they do not show dirt as easily, and because I had to wear dark socks at work as part of my uniform. Not that it makes any difference when you are out and about--just wear whatever you choose.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Got counseled several times for my kids playing with the kids across the street. My kid was 4 at the time, and they just played ball outside. This was a neighbor who knew we were JWs and was very respectful of our beliefs.

This was from an elder whose three now teenage kids were never allowed to play with 'worldly' kids. 2 have moved out and no longer go to meetings, and the third also will leave the cult as soon as she's old enough.

We were told that playing with worldly kids is the start of them getting DF'd later. Wow. We didn't agree with the direct correlation and kept letting them play.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit