What non-issues did you get "counseled" about?

by rebel8 60 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was "counseled"* for being mad that my jw boyfriend began dating my sister. It was wrong of me to have feelings. Any embarrassment I felt was due to being puffed up with pride. I was dragged back there again for not talking to him. This was not showing proper submission to a male. Who was a freaking teenager, and I might add, younger than me. But all penises are superior to vaginas.

I was also "counseled" for stating that I wanted to move out of my parents' home some day. I had no right to discuss that. I was single and not living with my parents would cause me to become a prostitute/drug addict/Satanist/Christmas celebrator, so I had no right to mention that I might do it some day in the future.

They laid the smack down on me for asking questions about various things, too numerous to mention.

Oh, and once for leading the service meeting in a prayer without a napkin on my head, because there was a young boy in the room. Even penises without descended testicles are superior to vaginas.

Underage drinking to the point of intoxication while around other jw teens, not ever once "making my time" as a regular pioneer, not ever having a bible study and rarely placing litter-ature? No mention whatsoever.

Years after I had formally left the org, I was directed to attend a judicial committee for being seen smoking and riding in a car alone with a man. Which did not happen ever. Someone made up this story. I said no freaking way will I ever speak to any elder for any reason. I was punished by being fired as a bridesmaid to someone who was getting married in the kh. boo-hoo
    -----------------
    *The word "counseled" is not really accurate; it is interrogation. Let the reader use discernment.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I was counseled for cutting my hair too short, and held back from re-appointment after moving to a new hall because of it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rebel,

When you talk about being counseled are you referring to by the elders or other busybodies? Years ago when I was rather new in the religion I had various busybodies not just elders give me 'advice', 'counsel' or 'criticism' whichever way you look at it. The topics were various and ranged from clothing to asking the wrong kind of questions.

Looking back I have to say that people give 'counsel' on what bothers them personally.

LHG

• rebel8
    rebel8

LHG, I was talking about elders. If I mentioned all the busybodies' comments, we'd run out of bandwidth. LOL

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was warned by my PO not to attend a midnight screening of Star Wars. He assured me that this would call my "judgement" into question. I assumed he was making a veiled threat about my position as a Ministerial Servant.

I could barely conceal my laughter.

I attended the movie. Two elders were with me.

• still_in74
    still_in74

i was counceled for being a musician. Can you believe it? Ya, cause that dude from Sly and the family stone said you cant be in a band and be a JW.

The elder actually quoted that article about him. Uhm, slight difference between my garage band and a world-touring chart-topping iconic rock group.....

Anyway, i was Aux Pioneer at the time and being in a band was not conducive to pioneering..... so i quit pioneering.

I know a sister that was sent home by her husband to change her skirt. It came 1" above her knee, if she didnt go home to change the elders told him they would not announce his new appt. to MS. She went home and changed into a skirt that went 1" below the knee and he was appointed an MS that night. The most rediculous thing I had ever heard. This really happened in my old cong about 5 years ago.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Wow..I just had a flashback memory.

I was between 6-7 yrs old, the year would have been 1967-68, my mom had gotten me and my younger sister, a cute springy dress, little white gloves and I think a hat. I remember thinking I was the cutiest thing ever. I also clearly remember a sister telling my Mom, it's still a Easter dress even if you bought it after Easter. I don't remember ever wearing that dress again.

I remember my dad always wore his hair in a DA, with the shiny hair grease, all. This time the year would have been 1969-70, I remember him and my mom talking and he had been directed by Elders, (although I don't think that's what they were called then) to get a new hairdo.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I was producer on a podcast that featured news and comment about two Glasgow football (soccer) teams. This was raised at the elders' meeting with the CO. It resulted in a sit down meeting with 2 elders in my home where I stupidly agreed to bin production of the podcast in case it 'stumbled' some of the young brothers. I was later counseled for occasionally going to football matches. Again, this may stumble some of the young brothers. Failure to stop doing so would probably have prevented me being appointed as an elder. Needless to say I now go to as many football matches, with my son, that I can manage. We have a great time.

I was once counseled for saying "may a pox come upon me", a line from 'It's a Wonderful Life'.

My wife and I were once counseled by the circuit overseer's wife for not providing her and her husband with a proper 3-course meal. We made them home made soup and sandwiches. My wife was 18 at the time, we were newly weds. This was 15 years ago. I'm still angry about the hurt I saw on my wife's face when she said that.

I was once counseled for not doing enough in the ministry. I'd being regularly auxiliary pioneering at the time.

I was counseled for not being at the KH 20 minutes before the meeting started. We had two children under the age of 6 and I worked until 6.30pm. The meeting started at 7.30pm. It should be noted that only one of the elders (I was a MS at the time) was there 20 mins before the start of the meeting.

I was once counseled for struggling to pay all of our bills. I was a newly married 22 year old regular pioneer window cleaner and I'd confided in an elder that I was struggling to budget our very limited income. My wife was regular pioneering at the time too. I should add the elder giving me the counsel was the elder I'd confided in. Oh, and he counseled me in front of another elder as a way to recommend I not be re-appointed as a MS when we moved congregation.

I was once counseled because my wife looked a bit stressed dealing with our two young kids at the meeting.

I was once counseled for having the song 'Corpus Christi' by Jeff Buckley on my iTunes playlist.

I was once counseled for going to see U2 in concert.

I was once counseled for dating my wife.

I was once counseled for having a Stephen King book in my house.

But hey, Jehovah disciplines those he loves, right?

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Rebel, I remember my parents not letting me move out. Why was I so dumb? If I moved out what could they say about it? My husband wasn't allowed to move out but payed rent. Instead I did what all JW girls do, become a teen bride ( thankfully worked out), that was OK with them. When I was a little older and home with a little one a couple of days a week I listened to talk radio like Dr. Laura, Dr Joy Browne I was counseled about that. I even rated a local needs talk (my finest hour)!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ lisa - that's a fantastic picture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit