Another fossil link found

by Caedes 98 Replies latest social current

• Caedes
    Caedes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7736786.stm

The earliest turtles known to live in water have been discovered on a Scottish island.

The 164 million-year-old reptile fossils were found on a beach in southern Skye, off the UK's west coast.

The new species forms a missing link between ancient terrestrial turtles and their modern, aquatic descendants.

The discovery of Eileanchelys waldmani, which translates as "the turtle from the island", is reported in the Royal Society journals.

The turtles were found embedded in a block of rock at the bay of Cladach a'Ghlinne, on the Strathaird peninsula.

It contained four well-preserved turtle skeletons, and the remnants of at least two others.

How many 'missing' links does science have to find before the creationists admit that they are wrong.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Just plug your ears, and scream real loud,

LALALLALALALALALLALLALALALALALALLALALA!

To each they're own, I guess. Whatever sinks yer boat.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

They never will, they think everything was created. Therefore, this is just another extinct species that God created. Once they map it's genome (which is maybe a few months away) it will be harder to deny due to retroviruses and chromosomes, but then again there are no creationist scientists out there who understand why that is so important.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I had a physics professor once ask why the creationists couldn't accept evolution as a process from a creator. I've never gotten an answer to that question.

• ninja
    ninja

so they've found ancient turtle remains....what did they turn into?

• sir82
    sir82
    I had a physics professor once ask why the creationists couldn't accept evolution as a process from a creator. I've never gotten an answer to that question.

Oh they've got an answer: "That's not the way the Bible says it happened".

You might not like that answer, but it's the one that it ultimately boils down to.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    so they've found ancient turtle remains....what did they turn into?

If you had read the link or even the brief quote in my original post, it tells you. This fossil is the common ancestor to sea based and land based turtles. At some point in history the population of these turtles became seperated one went on to evolve into sea based turtles, the other into land based turtles.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Because evolution is a constant process, we're all essentially "links."

Also something creationists can't wrap their minds around.

S4

• snowbird
    snowbird

Any "link" has to have a source.

Something non-creationists conveniently ignore.

Sylvia

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Caedes:

How many 'missing' links does science have to find before the creationists admit that they are wrong.

All of them. Otherwise they either declare the newly discovered link between two species to belong to one of those species or to be a new previously undiscovered species. If the latter, they then claim there are now two missing links instead of one.

Having said that, even in cases of speciation that have been observed and meticulously recorded generation by generation under laboratory conditions, they will still deny that this is evolution. So it's best not to worry too much about them. This discovery has increased the sum total of human knowledge, but creationists will, as ever, learn nothing from it. That is their loss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit