Santa & Kids - To Lie or Not To Lie?

by sweet pea 139 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

So, as long as the person doesn't care and as long as they don't rely on your lie, honesty is unimportant?

I just can't agree with you folks. Honesty is a BIG DEAL. My question is, if it's ok to lie to your kids for years, what else is it ok to lie about? The truth is not always pretty, flashy, or glamorous, but it is the most precious thing a person can have

Hmm, I just asked my 10 year old if she felt bad that I had lied to her when she was younger about Santa being real. Her response: Of course not mom, every little kid wants to believe in magic and Santa and I would have felt worse if I was one of those kids who didn't believe, it made christmas more fun, wondering what Santa would bring. Then she added, of course I know now you buy the presents and it's still special but I'm glad you told me Santa was real, remember that little boy in grade primary who was in my class? Nathan? He was a Jehovah's Witness like Nana and Papa and he told some of the kids at school that Santa wasn't real, everyone hated him. I felt sorry for him, he never looked happy.

Out of the mouth babes, JD. And if you ever have children and think you'll never ever tell them a mistruth, good luck, lol! I want a front row seat for that. Prepare to have him/her persecuted for your sense of what's "right".

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sweetstuff, so now you're saying it's a disservice not to lie to your kids?

I'm going to remember this discussion the next time I'm badmouthed for being in law school.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Johnny? Sugar baby? I think you're kind of proving our point here. Maybe if you had been given a little more fantasy as a child, you would see the difference. Our point in telling you what our children had to say about it after the fact, is that none of them looked at it as a "lie". More as part of growing up. And like I said, it's not as if you sit down and study the little blue book of Santa, it just sort of occurs naturally. If my kids looked me in the eye and said "mom is there reeeeeeeaallly a Santa?" I would have said something about the old German dude and the spirit of giving.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well you know what they say about lawyers

• carla
    carla

John do you honestly mean to tell me that you never fibbed when your girlfriend asked if something made her butt look big? Maybe it wasn't the pants and her butt really was big but did you tell her? 'No, dear the pants don't make your butt look big your ass is so big already nothing could make it look any bigger than it already is'. If you ever tried to spare someone's feelings by being kind, 'no, that zit is hardly noticable' (even if looks like Mt. Olympus) then you are liar like the rest of mankind, you allowed your friend to live in the fantasy rather than reality.

Fantasy is wonderful childrens imagination, what do jw kids have to look forward to? the 3 day conventions? fun, fun. The reject Jesus memorial?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Maybe it's just me, and perhaps I have a warped sense of honor, but I would have a hard time trusting someone who would lie to their own kids. Avoiding lies isn't about the outcome of telling them, it's about the value of language and honor. We pay a very high price when we lose sense of those things.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    John do you honestly mean to tell me that you never fibbed when your girlfriend asked if something made her butt look big? Maybe it wasn't the pants and her butt really was big but did you tell her? 'No, dear the pants don't make your butt look big your ass is so big already nothing could make it look any bigger than it already is'. If you ever tried to spare someone's feelings by being kind, 'no, that zit is hardly noticable' (even if looks like Mt. Olympus) then you are liar like the rest of mankind, you allowed your friend to live in the fantasy rather than reality.

Yes, I'm saying exactly that--not that I've had a lot of girlfriends. To tell someone something untruthful deminishes the value of any genuine compliments you give. When I tell my friends something or give them an opinion, they know it's the truth. Additionally, if people don't want to know the truth, they don't ask me quesions about how their butt looks.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I guess if christmas is about an invisible dude in the sky, then LYING about the actual identity of one of his saints is not a big deal. In fact it adds to the ruse. Truly, proving the skyman doesnt exist is about as hard as proving the flying red elf doesnt exist.

No I would not ever lie to my kids under any circumstance. If you think my tone is condescending, well that means you perceive my tone exactly.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Yes, I'm saying exactly that--not that I've had a lot of girlfriends.

This is funny, we've gone from "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" to the dearth of John's lovelife. OK, I'm bored. Let's talk about Santa again!

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm not the one who brought it up Jones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit