Santa & Kids - To Lie or Not To Lie?

by sweet pea 139 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My mom didn't become a jw until I was 12, and she made believing in Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy so special that my belief in them carried me through some very traumatic times and disappointments as a young child. She was a single mother in the late 60's before the ERA movement and enforced child support, so times were tough.

The first visit from the Tooth Fairy that I remember involved finding a note written on a paper plate apologizing for running out of quarters by the time that she arrived at my house and that she would return, (ironically enough) right after Mom's next payday with my quarter. I don't remember getting the quarter, but to this day, I remember how honored and priveleged I felt about getting an actual note from the Tooth Fairy!

A few years later a teenaged babysitter told me that Santa wasn't real, and I was beside myself with grief! Of course, Mom let me in on the secret that Santa was only real to good kids like me and my brother, and that parents of spoiled, hateful kids like the babysitter had to buy their Christmas gifts, because Santa wouldn't stop at their houses. Although there were times that I didn't get what I wanted for Christmas, I never was disappointed but instead felt honored that Santa remembered me.

My brother and I figured out that none of it was real when we found Easter candy stuffed in a closet one summer. Mom must've hidden it and forgotten it was there. I wasn't traumatized, becuse she lied. Actually I really appreciated everything she did to make the holidays special despite being broke all of the time. And she never failed to make us feel special.

I really miss her. She became a different person when she became jw. She's shunned me for 20 years.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    Rocks!!??

Come on Momzcrazy, what porkys have you been telling him LOL

I honestly have no idea where he got that!! I told him, "No you get a quarter." He started crying saying he wanted rocks....Maybe I'll give him pretty ones, not the ones in the yard.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

A quarter . . .

That'll be it - the rocks are worth more LOL

It's costing me a couple of quid a throw here - must be inflation or something!

• Caedes
    Caedes

I remember at my school (ages 5-10) that some of the kids that still believed in santa got a hard time from those that knew the truth. Personally I wouldn't leave it too late to be honest with them.

• yknot
    yknot

My children ages 4 & 9 have never believed in Santa and are fine. We keep things simple read various scriptures about the promise and arrival of Jesus, attend my hubby's church for Xmas service, both kids get one wrapped gift (usually homemade, and they also give one to each of us) and then like JWs all around the world....we make a game plan for after Xmas sales as the rest of the bounty is given in CASH!

Ultimately you need to ask yourself what you believe about the Santa tradition. I remember vividly my cousins balling their eyes out at 8 & 9 at the 'death' of Santa in their lives. Others do a hybrid of their kids knowing there is no such person but still indulging in the merriment of the holidays with gifts put out under the tree or across the furniture and stuffings in their hung stockings!

Pray/meidate about it, what is right for your family will come to you.

Have a fabulous trip and happy holidays!

• beksbks
    beksbks

I married a "worldly" boy when I was 19. By the time we had children, we had been celebrating Christmas for about 5 years, and I never even thought about the Santa thing, it just was. I don't believe I went overboard, but we definitely had a pile of presents from Santa, and a plate of milk and cookies. All so much fun!! It just all happened naturally. They also thought that I was magic, because I knew what they were doing even when I couldn't' see them They just grew out of all those little childhood fantasies.

I doubt seriously that it was as traumatic as the day in 5th grade when my friends took me to a teacher and told her I needed talking to, because I thought babies were made by getting married. Say "I do", and the next thing you know you've got kids running around.

I collect Santas now, maybe it's a response to being without as a child lol.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I can't remember what I thought of Santa.

I remember what I thought of Santa...I wanted to believe. Every Christmas I would pray that just for once I would get something, anything. But I didn't blame Santa if I didn't get anything, I knew it was my parents' fault not Santa. I didn't hate that time of year....I loved it! And it just killed me every year that my siblings and I had to sit it out while everyone else was having all the fun while we sat in our dark and deary house.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I doubt seriously that it was as traumatic as the day in 5th grade when my friends took me to a teacher and told her I needed talking to, because I thought babies were made by getting married. Say "I do", and the next thing you know you've got kids running around.

LOL.

How about thinking babies were born orally until the age of ten?

An older sister kindly disabused my mind of that notion.

And it just killed me every year that my siblings and I had to sit it out while everyone else was having all the fun while we sat in our dark and deary house.

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

So, what are we teaching kids? It's ok to lie about something really important to the person you're lying to as long as it makes them feel good? Seems like you'd better be prepared to get the same sort of lies back from your kids, and you won't have legitimate grounds to punish them.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Seems like you'd better be prepared to get the same sort of lies back from your kids, and you won't have legitimate grounds to punish them.

That's not the point. Santa is a fun fantasy, similar to Disney cartoons or watching Cartoon network. Children love fantasy and fairytales. Eventually they grow up and leave behind the fairytales and most of the fantasy. Why should I restrict my kids from fantasy? Maybe I should just throw out all their books, video games, and stop the cartoon viewing. Hell let's just go back to the kingdom hall, the land of no fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit