Santa & Kids - To Lie or Not To Lie?

by sweet pea 139 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    (Said by all individuals who are miserable and want you to be miserable too)

Bah! Humbug!

• rmt1
    rmt1

Take the magnitude of impact that high-level JW lies had on your very life, and then compare that to the magnitude of impact that high-level 'worldly' lies had on your very life. Now take the impact that low-level worldly lies (Santa Claus) have had on children's/people's lives around the world, and compare that to whatever low-level JW lies there are. Such as some technical who-gives-a-shit detail that they drummed up about the FDS just in time for the quarterly or biannual shot in the arm fakeout to make the rank and file think there's still someone at the helm. All the JWs are doing when they make the Santa story into A LIE IT'S A LIIIIEEE OHMYGOD IT'S A LIIIEEE!!!! is to deflect their own high-level lies, the magnitude of which defy all conscience. (blood issue leaps to mind...)

• mama1119
    mama1119

I think its not so much lying as storytelling. Kids are only kids for a bit..why not have some fun with it...my girls bought right into it...on their own pretty much...just from hearig about Santa etc...so I play along. My oldest is just thrilled with the idea, and I love it..

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I think its not so much lying as storytelling.

Can you explain what lie can't be justified in the same way?

• mama1119
    mama1119

There are LIES and there are STORIES. I think Santa and all that goes with it is a big old story.....like Peter Pan, or Snow White. Your kids will eventaully figure out that Peter and Snow White are just made up stories. Lies are things like : I had to work late (your having an affair) or No, I have had these shoes for a while (you just bought them yesterday).

Storys are harmless and don't need to be justified. Lies do.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Lies are things like : I had to work late (your having an affair)

But that's not a lie--it's just a story! Making your spouse think you're a hard worker who's giving priority to job responsibility and financial interests makes them feel good. No one gets hurt. Since no one gets hurt or suffers, there doesn't need to be a justification.

That's the same line of reasoning you just used.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Letting my kids believe in Santa was and is all in fun. Thinking back to when my two older ones were younger I never marked any of their presents as being from Santa. They would make lists of toys they wanted from Santa and hubby and I would pass on those lists to our relatives and all the presents would come marked from the person who sent them. I think one of the reasons that my older ones figured out that Santa wasn't real is because they never got anything from Santa. My eight year old son still believes but I don't think that will be much longer. My five year old really doesn't seem to care.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I guess I am thinking of stories in the traditional sense. With made up characters and events. I don't think making up a story, or retelling a story is ever going to have to be justified. Whereas, if you lied about having an affair, and the truth came out, all those lies would have to be justified.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

WOW!!! Wish I could say I miss these debates with JD!!! I have gotten some laughs off this debate! My son is 10 and believes in Santa. Hell, I believe in him too! (he better bring me something good! ) By the way John Doe....everyone knows Mrs. Claus is a blonde!!! duh!!! LOL

• John Doe
    John Doe
    WOW!!! Wish I could say I miss these debates with JD!!!

Can't admit it eh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit