Did Your District Conventions Have A Meat Market?

by Jeremy C 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Yea, bunch of kids whoring themselves out in the name of finding a theocratic mate....

• halcyon
    halcyon

I don't think we had an area. I was too young to know when we went to the stadium. When we moved into a circular coliseum, then we just simply walked and walked around in circles. I think I found the attempt fruitless, as we mostly just walked past each other but never stopped to talk, although there were a couple of years in there when I managed to meet a few new brothers. It baffles me now how I did it.

• tinker
    tinker

oh yeah, I was there in the late 60's, early 70's. The infamous blue level but my group called it Horny Corner. I must say, I have some great memories of Dodger Stadium. Those were the days of vodka and OJ in a thermos sitting on the top level catching rays. My greatest ambition was The Perfect Tan and an after DC hours party. The boys home from Bethel were our rock stars so an invite to their party was equal to a VIP pass at the Viper Room. We had the Blue Truth Book, we were young and beautiful AND gonna live forever, WOW, what a bunch of suckers huh. All that youth and not a college education among us....we did have fun but what a waste of talent.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

summertime at the vet in philly. the whole damn place was hoppin' but especially 700 yellow & 500/600 orange.

I met at least 1 girlfriend that way. we were both df'ed about a year later. whoops. wonder what came of her.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hey Tinker

we were young and beautiful AND gonna live forever

wow, what a phrase, I like it!

Truthseeker

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I remember conventions at Twickers - such a huge place, so many people. Almost every corridor had its cliques.

The brothers with their trendy suits, slicked back hair and shades.

Unfortunately, my status in the hall meant I was not one of the crowd and hence I was a mere observer at most cutie corridors.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Gosh I don't remember! But I do remember the teens kind of wandering around. I can't remember if there was a "meat market" around. When we went to DC's out of town, I was basically kept on a short leash, because we were out of town. At the circuit assemblies, sometimes I saw the teens strolling back and forth from their seats. My little sister used to hang out with another girl, and they were strolling up and down the aisles going back and forth. It used to make my mother angry that my sister didn't want to sit still. I was the eldest, and they were very strict with me, so I had to "toe the line" so to speak.

Cynthia

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Hey not feelin it,

I'm a vet statium veteran. Sun dresses thin material, hey it's because it's so hot!

My son new the place as the big bell.

When convention time would roll around we would tell him

we're going to the big bell, he would just sigh.

God I hated that place !

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    I'm a vet statium veteran.
    God I hated that place !

Awe gee whiz, what wasn't there to love about the Vet? Wait a second . . . . . Astroturf, the Philly Fanatic, a lot of guys with mullets . . . I take that back. I suppose a large singles area wasn't possible since all of the single brothers were too busy thinking about cheese steaks.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While they may not be as legendary as the Blue Level, every DC has it's meeting of the
    young somewhere. Rest asured, the Polo Grounds and Cedar Point did have their own meat market.

Perhaps many did not know where it was because it wasn't legendary.

One year, our congregation had a new guy that was getting baptized. He was very tall, dark, and handsome.
    Because of the JW's (and maybe other things), his wife had left him and their two sons. So here's this
    guy with two little boys in tow, he's about 27 years old. Sisters who were everywhere between 17 and 40
    were asking if they could help him with his children and giving him their phone numbers. They were not
    shy about it. One fellow explained that he wasn't even baptized yet, and some sisters said, "But he is
    getting baptized." It was quite a sight to see the sisters going out of their way to meet him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit