Did Your District Conventions Have A Meat Market?

by Jeremy C 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

I was recently thinking back upon some of my unusual memories of being in the organization. One of them was of the Dodger Stadium "meat market".

We used to attend our District Conventions at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the stadium, Dodger Stadium has a very large level with blue seats - which is the largest level within the stadium. The level has enormous walk-ways behind the seating; much of it being open-air areas where the Witnesses would stroll around and mingle during breaks in the session.

For some reason, the large open-air areas behind the third base side became the official mingling area of hundreds of young single people. It was known as the "meat market".

This is where all of the sisters who wore tight revealing clothing tended to congregate. And, just as honey attracts flies, this is where all of the young single horny brothers gravitated to. It was common for lots of flirting to go on, phone numbers to be exchanged, and where one felt very grateful to be in Jah’s organization.

When I was a teenager going through puberty, just a brief stroll thought the meat market was; shall I say . . .invigorating. Trying to return to the afternoon program and focus on Jehovah’s celestial chariot was a tall order. And let’s face it. Sometimes, the mantra of "just think about baseball" doesn’t cut it.

At any rate, the blue level at Dodger Stadium became a thorn in the side for convention administration; and was derided by traveling overseers. Personally, I think that some of those overseers may have been jealous that the Polo Grounds or Cedar Point did not have it’s own meat market.

The blue level became legendary; and stories circulated around the country about the blue level. I was even questioned about it at Bethel by guys who had never been to California.

At one of our circuit assemblies, our Circuit Overseer got up and gave a talk where he launched into a diatribe about how young people do not respect Jehovah’s organization. He began telling us that earlier in the day, he told several young people who were mingling in the lobby during the session to go to their seats. They snubbed him, and left the assembly hall. As his voice became louder, and as he began shaking his finger in the air, he said: "I say good! Let them leave! Because we are not going to allow Jehovah’s House to be turned into the blue level !"

The audience burst into it’s "assembly laugh" - the typical muffled "ooo-hoo-hoo-hoo".

But alas, the Dodger Stadium blue level is no more; as the conventions are no longer held there. So, the blue level has officially become part of the JW legendary history.

Did any of you in other parts of the U.S. or other countries have similar "singles mingles" at your conventions? Any amusing stories to share?

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow Jeremy! Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

I don't remember any talks about it...think I tuned it out maybe, quite possible.

It was a great place to see and be seen, and meetup with old friends. Also...third base side, right outside the entrance...that was where to make dinner arrangements.

• sir82
    sir82

Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh PA, Gate A.

But I suspect "Pennsylvania Girls" couldn't hold a candle to "California Girls".

• loosie
    loosie

OOhhh I remeber the blue level all right. That was the only reason to go to the assemblies... to meet a man. that was also why you bring binoculars to scope out the cute Bros before lunch and find out the section number they are in...so you can go to that are at lunch. Then when I was a little bit older, I got smart. I watched a contribution box on the blue level that way the Bros would come to me.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Evey DC that I attended was a meat market, I can remember saying that I was going to get some meat at this assembly

in other words meaning I was going to pick up chicks.

For us teens it was a social gathering for potential pick ups since you couldn't date any non-jws

So the hormones did a flow at the assemblies.

And lets not forget the dressing up for the occasion also, very , very important

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I got smart. I watched a contribution box on the blue level that way the Bros would come to me.

LOL @ Loosie!

Sylvia

• caliber
    caliber

apparently this was the song running through their heads at blue level Dodger stadium

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbhfI8f_Ek

Do you think david Lee Roth was ever able to come out of his introverted shell ?

Caliber

• only me
    only me

I never heard of a meat market but there were always 'dear' hunters at every assembly.

• yknot
    yknot

Not to my knowledge.......but I was on a very short leash prior to marriage.

This year's DC was strictly no loitering (unless you you were keeping a small child quiet). We don't have a picnic friendly location and I noticed most people sat with their hall at the restaurants we supped and during the talks.

I am thinking we are gonna see even more unevenly yoked marriages in the future.

In our town Elders tend to do most of match-making by inviting nearby KHs to send their interested males, and vice versa. Us girls only went if we received a hosted invite to Saturday FS (overnight stay) and Sunday Service with strict chaperoning

• shamus100
    shamus100

Yes - ours was a huge meat market. Homover, I was probably at your convention, and you can probably attest that young people walked around and around, trying to get noticed. Saturday was 'new outfit day' (translation: new cheap suit day).

Yeah.... bleah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit