Did Your District Conventions Have A Meat Market?

by Jeremy C 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• LDH
    LDH

When I was 9, I got caught picking my nose through those binoculars. My older sister did not appreciate the ribbing she took about her uncool little sister. LOL That made me laugh. Thanks.

picking boogers=assembly

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Yea, bunch of kids whoring themselves out in the name of finding a theocratic mate....

jesus wept

• mary stewart
    mary stewart

i wonder if telescopes are ok to scop for chicks. LOL

• simplesally
    simplesally

You know, it was absolutely necessary to wear sundresses to the convention in Dodger ... it was HOT ... and you could get a tan at the same time .. I used to bring suntan lotion! I remember thinking that when I lived in Northern California, there is no way you could get away with the sundresses we wore there .. but that was because in SF, the conventions were at the Cow Palace, in doors and freezing outside!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nope--Jehovah would always shine His "new light" (always orange) wherever any "blue" would appear. Anyone that knows anything about colors would realize that blue light mixed with orange would yield white, and blue objects appear black under pure orange light. Hence, no results.

Plus, it was just about banned. Not by policy so much, but that people were supposed to stay in their seats during the program and pay attention to the boring material coming from the platform. Those with binoculars would be directed to pay attention to the speakers, and (at least in my former congregation) it was not common to have them. And they always directed us to focus on members of my own congregation, most of whom are so ugly that they make me want to puke. They even directed me to just meet other men--and somehow, they got all the "sisters" to blow me off before even meeting me (I think the lead hounders and the hounder-hounder had something to do with that).

Thus, the "meat" was always either the wrong kind or horribly out of date.

• Quester55
    Quester55

Let me just put it out there! Any body looking for a wife 1957 model original parts ( a few are missing, but nothing essential) No creaks, dings or scrapes. ( unless you count surgical scars) Time-tested, thrifty, sexy, smart and faithful. Between 50 - 60 yrs. Anybody interested?

ROFLMAO \Quester55

• beksbks
    beksbks

I was too young to appreciate the blue level! I do remember the Woodland Hills circular hall. That place was made for cruisin.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    I'm a vet statium veteran.
    God I hated that place !

Awe gee whiz, what wasn't there to love about the Vet? Wait a second . . . . . Astroturf, the Philly Fanatic, a lot of guys with mullets . . . I take that back. I suppose a large singles area wasn't possible since all of the single brothers were too busy thinking about cheese steaks.

The Vet was a love/hate thing.

Loooooooove the sun dresses. Those must've been pretty big in the 90's.

Hate the heat. Do you guys remember how everyone would move to stay in the shade as the sun rolled around? It was like watching a human-powered sun dial.

I actually met a good friend who was employing the binocular dating method to meet some hot chicks from my hall. They were balsy -- actually came up and introduced themselves to the girls. I got to know him pretty well. Turned out we had a lot in common.

I think I fell in love with someone every summer. I was pretty shy so never made much of it.

// BTW, WTWizard: From a pigmentation standpoint, orange and blue make a brownish color. I'm not sure what's in your Crayola box.

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

Yes, I remember the "Meat Market" as it was called. But my take on this is that as a witness, a person was always in the wrong. If you showed me a convention where 40,000 people attended, as was the case back then, and there were no social gathering spots we would then conclude that those in attendance were anti-social. Yet young people who have a chance to meet others from around the county "mingle" and we call it a meat market! I am a big sports fan. I will tell you at least in So Cal, there are "meat markets" at every event. Have you been to a Dodgers game? A Kings game? Hell, ever been to a Lakers game? That's what people do! It is just that the WTBTS and the Co's and Do's and elders had to make up some ludicrous term to make young ones feel guilty for not making the talks that were presented, the number 1 reason for attending the DC. PS........ what about Gate F in San Diego!!!!!!

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I remember my "meat market" day in the Long Beach Convention Center.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit