I am scared for my life. Problems with punks.

by SnakesInTheTower 127 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

So I have been having problems with the renters that moved in next door. The last 3 months have been a living hell. I have an ongoing complaint with the slumlord that owns the property and the city is taking him to court for derelict vehicles next week (which I anonymously complained about, but I am sure I am being blamed for). He is also pissed that I called the police on him last week for using my yard and drive as a place to turn around. The white cop that came was useless. Took my name and birthdate but went over and listened to them and then left (without telling me what was going on). I had to stop the cop to find out that there was nothing he could/would do.

Let me back up by saying this as background:

a) I am white. Punk neighbor is black and just moved to my street from the ghetto where his behavior is not only tolerated but apparently encouraged.

b) I am not predjudice against any race, only stupid people. Two of my closest friends that I would give my life for are black.

c) My neighborhood borders the ghetto and is in danger of becoming ghettofied. (meaning this is a nearly all black neighborhood that has been quiet until these renters moved in)

d) I have nothing against renters, I have rented this house for over 9 years. My original feud is with his slumlord.

Tonight, as I am pulling down the street to my home, a car comes up from the opposite direction, then backs up into oncoming traffic..meaning me (this is a narrow street) and into the driveway next door. Of course, I look to see who/what the problem is. It is the troublesome punk neighbor. I say nothing. I dont flip him off, I dont say a word.

I pull into my driveway and start to get out. He starts mouthing off at me not to look at him. Understand, there is a mere 30 feet tops between our houses, our drives/yards separated only by a narrow strip of grass and a walnut tree. I try to ignore him, but he continues to make advances and threats. Finally, in as calm a voice as I couldm I asked him to stay on his side and leave me be and there wont be a problem. He continues yelling at me not to stare at his yard or him. I told him it is kind of hard not to look at a yard that is right next door. I asked that maybe he should have his landlord put up a fence then I couldn't see him. He continues mouthing and I try to get things out of the car. I ignore him, but now he is coming across the yard. Very quickly. I know what is coming, he has done this once before. What I dont know, is how far he will take it. Whether it is more intimidation and mouth or real physcial violence.

I take a defensive stance, knowing I dont stand a chance against him (even assuming he is not armed). He had me pinned up against the car and was in my face. I basically was reduced to pleading, How fu$king humiliating. He was trying to intimidate and he succeeded. I told him he can hit me if he wants, I dont stand a chance in hand to hand combat and he knows it. He backed off at that point. He told me to call the cops again and see what happens. I told him I wont be calling the police anymore because they are apparently quite useless.

I managed to get inside without further incident (other than to move my car into my detached garage). I was shaking and yes, I called the police, but only to document the incident. I told the officer that I dont own a weapon and in that circumstance a weapon would have been useless anyway. That the law is only to protect the rights of the criminal.

While this 20 year veteran was empathetic, he agreed that their hands were tied. That without witnesses or proof of his trespassing or threats, there was nothing they could do.

I called my landlord this evening and left him a message. I told him that I would pay the $600 for a 8 ft high stockade fence but that he would have to install it. I cant afford to move until I finishe school next July. I pay $290 a month rent for a 2BR house with a garage.... average rent for a one BR apartment in this area starts at $600/mo, so I figure that its cheaper to erect a fence that the punk would have to go around to get to me than for me to pay to move, pay first and last month rent, a deposit, a moving van, and double rent.

Damn, I wanted to spend that $600 on a big screen tv.

Thanks, I needed to vent. Yes, I am scared shitless. Now I am going to go drink myself into oblivion.

Snakes ()

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think it's time for you to move.

purps

• dawg
    dawg

Man, I hate to hear that... I really do...

the place where one resides is sacred.

Bro, I hate to say this, but if that son of a botch were to do that to me, I'd shoot that bastard where he stands... I'm not violent until a person touches me... the I'll freaking kill someone..

I really don;t know what to say to you... I wish you could move.. spend the 600 on a new place to live... damn! I really hate this for you...

• yknot
    yknot

Keep things documented.....

Keep your head low and grades high until graduation.....

Then move to a safer neighborhood.....

If the landlord won't do the fence...buy a surveillance camera.....

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm sorry, snakes. No preaching here about the wonderful world tomorrow. Wishing you a safe way out of this mess.

CoCo Concerned

• watson
    watson

Time to give up the neighborhood to the "homies." Or, get a shotgun and learn how to use it. Sorry you have to go through this.

Consult an attorney regarding obtaining a restraining order against your neighbor. If he's making threats, there are good chances it will be granted. If you can't afford an attorney, contact support groups for domestic violence. These groups should be able to connect you with a low-cost attorney or even self-help (restraining orders are not that complicated). Keep records of all threats made by neighbor; date, time, circumstances including who witnessed it, etc..

Invest in 12 gauge shotgun (can't miss with those) for home defense (check laws of your state regarding when you can use it to turn neighbor into a pile of ground meat). You never know . . .

Stay safe!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

mess up their cable and they will leave.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

purps:

I think it's time for you to move.

I agree.... unfortunately it takes money to move. Landlords dont take credit cards and I cant afford a cash advance on them. I will be moving next July when I graduate for good. My mom and stepdad are not in a position to help me financially (other than to let me move in with them in Alabama) Sad that I have been here 9+ years and in 3 months no good punks are trying to run me off.

dawg:

I'd shoot that bastard where he stands

even if I had a gun, there is no way I would have had the reaction time to draw it (even if conceal carry were legal here, which it is not, I checked with the cops, laws are to protect criminals not me) let alone shoot him instead of my foot.

ynot:

If the landlord won't do the fence...buy a surveillance camera.....

LOL ...I was just online looking at surveillance cameras. I want a motion detector kind....take a picture of this idiot. I have an outstanding landlord. I am certain the landlord will either put up the fence or allow me to have it installed. He might even pay for it, who knows. He knows that once I leave he will be selling the property...cost too much to bring up to code for renting again. Its not dangerous, just needs a lot of work..... He is retired (70) and is ridding himself of his rental properties one by one. He is not wealthy but is set in life with no financial worries. He wont sell the house out from under me because I have been a profitable, loyal (and until now) trouble free tenant. (hell, he only pays $550 a year in taxes plus insurance) I dont ask him to fix anything unless its absolutely necessary. I repainted/tiled the kitchen myself a few years ago...he paid for half the materials.... I have to ask him to paint/patch my bathroom once a year because there is no fan in there so the moisture builds up so it causes peeling. He had to reshingle the roof a year or so ago..... I drop rock in the driveway every couple of years.....

Mostly, I just mind my own business. I know by name my neighbor across the street and the one behind me, other than that, I am only on a waving basis with the rest...except the trouble next door. Sad that I have to close my bedroom window now at night because the punk decided he wants to keep two dogs in his backyard that bark at nothing all night long... Sad that I have to look at derelict cars as I drive by or look out my window. Selfish bastards.

Watson:

Time to give up the neighborhood to the "homies."

Yep... I am looking at my budget to see if I can afford the new apartments in another nearby town...one that law enforcement actually enforces the law...close enough that it is in the same college district so I dont lose in-district rates.

Or, get a shotgun and learn how to use it.

and you know what happens.... I go to jail for violating their civil rights or some such bs.

Sorry you have to go through this.

thanks.... I appreciate everyones words of support... its all I have for now... I was going to post about something else tonight...but never mind...what a shitty week...I really dont give a shit anymore.

Snakes ()

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I see its gotten far out of hand but my only suggestion to make some sort of peace

....Next time you run into him "Say lets start over again and offer him a beer" might be worth a try.

But sit outside on the steps or something make some small chit chat that might be up his alley...he might end up being your new best friend so to speak or look out for ya...may help to diffuse the situation....imo

Hope it works out for you...

h40

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit