Things That Irritated You When You Were A JW

by minimus 66 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

People that insisted that I needed to pio-sneer if I was going to make it into the New Dark Ages.

Hounder-hounders that could not tell time, or that lost their ability to tell time when the boasting session was supposed to finish.

Field circus.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Folks spying and tattling on other folks like children

• minimus
    minimus

Didn't it just piss you off when an elder would say everyone should pioneer (except him and his family)?

• sir82
    sir82
    Oh yes forgot that - ridiculously long prayers at District Conventions by brothers who were trying to impress but doing the exact opposite

LOL. This comes straight from the top.

Our PO, in his most sanctimonious face, with his most serious, pious look, told the elders soon after his return from the PO school in Patterson earlier this year: "Here's one of the things I learned while there, brothers. What is one way to tell how spiritual a man is? By the length of his prayers."

So now you know. A long prayer by a Bethel speaker = "I know a GB member is listening, and I want a promotion, and promotions are based on 'spirituality', not ability, so...

"Dear almighty sovereign lord of the universe and leader of angelic armies, we thank for the first talk today, which outlined....and we also thank you for the 2nd talk, where we were reminded of...and we thank you for the 3rd talk, dealing with...and we thank you for song 215, sung with a lilting melody, and we thank you for the announcements during which we remained standing if we pleased, and then of course we thank you for the 4th talk, which..."

Idiots.

• minimus
    minimus

I'll never forget the 15 minute prayer said at an assembly thanking Jehovah for E V E R Y T H I N G Jehovah God had done from creation's beginning! And he dissected every single talk and reiterated what speakers said----IT WAS AWFUL!'

My cousin was standing next to me and the speaker, I mean, bro giving the prayer, kept saying "and we say this prayer in the name of Jesus Christ" througout the 15 minutes. My cuz kept thinking it was done and would say "AMEN" only for it to continue! I and others tried so hard not to burst out laughing but it was ridiculous.

• minimus
    minimus

FF, I always love your contributions to such threads.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Jealous wives of elders who gave you a dirty look if their husbands spent any time talking to you or your children. I had this happen to me more times than I would like to count

I mean, what were they there for if not to see to the needs of the flock? And, how were they to assess those needs if they couldn't talk to any female other than their wives?

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, maybe they felt threatened by your looks.

Tee hee hee.

No, I think it was my intellect. One elder in particular would always count on me to expound on the so-called meatier paragraphs. LOL.

His wife actually quit speaking to me. It hurt at the time, but it was the best thing she could have done, as it set me to questioning the claims the WT made for its organization.

Sylvia

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah, some people are just plain jealous.

• caliber
    caliber

petty rules.. no colored shirts... must wear suit coat at 100 degrees F.. no pant suits for women at 40 below

no back row seating must move to front...meeting in blizzards....head covering to women.. beating a 2

year old that can't sit for 2 hours ...car groups with people you have nothing in common with.. must buy

a 4 door car ... book study about day after a huge assembly....taking notes you'll never use ..no mustache

the list is endless !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit