Things That Irritated You When You Were A JW

by minimus 66 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Facial hair was a no no/

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

special needs talks on the length of sisters dresses.

the fear of not talking to "youth" at the KH ......they might be bad association. Where else can you go that is more safe to talk to someone than the hall? I thought let's give any "youth" a big trophy for even being at a meeting.

School overseers that were very critical of talks by the "youth"

Talks in the back school.

Phoney people. I mean hell, we all had to be nice to each other, but that's different than putting on an act.

and what got to me. I was single person, working, taking care of a home and all that involves taking care of a household, like any man. I had to conduct business like a man. I was discounted because I was a woman. Alot of married women kept their distance. And I refused to frump myself out like alot of older sisters and that was taboo too. But I was charming as always and made alot of friends.

Elders that covered up what their kids did.

Meeting for field service, dividing up cargroups.

purps

• chappy
    chappy

Special needs talks about "proper intimate conduct in the marriage bed" and especially their downright OBSESSION with oral sex. Fact is many of the couples born into the Borg and probably 90% of the old timers didn't even have a clue as to what it even was. All the nods of agreement at even the most ridiculous points made in the WT. In the late 70's when I was already completely fed up with the Borg is when the article on "Independent Thinking" came out. I was ready to walk out, spitting nails on the way. I couldn't believe my eyes...nearly everyone else there was smiling broadly and giving that "nod of approval!" These idiots were GLADLY giving away their last vestige of freedom, the right to think. All of the tired, restless and bored children getting their little asses torn up in the back room for being fidgety. EVERYTHING about them irritated me back then. later, chappy

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Being counseled to leave my tie and suitcoat on when we went out after the convention, because it was such a 'good witness'. It was always 100 frigging degrees out.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Comments from little kids when you could hear the parents whispering to them in the microphone.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Student talks where it was painfully obvious the student was working on gestures. It was irritating that I was the only one who found it funny.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Doorbells and big dogs.

• Casper
    Casper

I agree with all the posts above.... hated the Ministry School talks for the Sisters, the most.

Also hated all the "Petty" rules that went so far "Beyond what was Written" that it was laughable.

Cas

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Those of us born into the truth learned that anytime we were irritated, it was our fault. We heard countless talks about how we need to be patient, understanding, and forgive others.

We were taught that we should not impute wrong motives. So anytime an elder gave counsel in any way, if we ignored it, or made a negative comment about it, it was OUR FAULT.

This is a very important point for me, I am glad you brought it up. I was raised to believe that anytime anything was said to me, or I didnt like something in the Kingdom Hall, it was MY FAULT.

Sometimes the elders said crazy things, or did crazy things. They were to be viewed as having holy spirit and never wrong.

My family still views the elders that way. That is why i am in the bind I am in. We are not allowed to view anything as criticism.

Even when that brother died at the District Convention a couple of years ago, they followed the protoccol that only elders in First Aid Department can call 911 at the conventions, so when he died, my family said, "well its better that way because we followed Jehovah's Organization, always spiritual things first. Plus, what a great place to die."

Nothing is irritating or wrong in Jehovah's Organization, its all in the way you view it.

That seems crazy to me now, but to be honest, I believed it for almost all my life.

BF

• ataloa
    ataloa

Quitting what I was doing in order to get to the KH on time to meet my partner for field service, only to sit there and wait 20 minutes on them.

The sheer inefficiency of the car groups. Taking forever to get organized, do a few houses, go for a "break", then go do a few more. Sheesh, just do all the doors you're going to, put in a good hour, and let me go home, because I have work to do, and I don't have time for this nonsense.

Not knowing if an unfamiliar person at the meetings was just a visitor or a disfellowshipped person; how are we supposed to know? No one ever told me. It never made sense to me that if a person could be at our meeting, in our midst, that we couldn't talk to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit