WHERE WERE YOU 7 YEARS AGO?

by Mary 56 Replies latest social current

• Mary
    Mary

Guess I'll be the first one to do an (inevitable) thread about 9-11. Hard to believe it's been 7 years already. I was at work when one of my co-workers came up and told me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I thought it was awful, but I figured it was a small single engine plane that maybe lost its way in the fog. When she told me shortly afterwards that another plane had hit the other tower and clarified that these were two huge passenger planes, I really knew something bad was happening so we grabbed the keys to the Conference Room (I worked for the government at the time and the conference room was set up like a mini-UN meeting with 3 gigantic screens all around the room). We turned on the screens and watched and people started filing in. I was stunned when the first tower fell as it looked like a scene out of Independence Day.

Where were you when you first heard about it?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Mary,

I was in my new apartment, alone for the first time in 25 years and Dad called me at 8:00 a.m. and said turn on the tele.

I saw the 2nd tower go up in the early 1970s. Guess where I was living at the time?

I saw both go down in one morning ...

CoCo

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was driving to work. I had started my new job just a week before. I was to meet a corporate trainer in one of our suburban showrooms, and we were to go into Boston to conduct a seminar. I was listening to the news when all hell broke loose. It was the day I became a news junkie.

The presentation was cancelled... The coporate trainer never came. (he was driving in from Connecticut and turned around.) I remember sitting in our showroom with other employees wondering what to do. I was glued to the radio and tv after that.... never even shut the tv off at night for weeks after that... worried that I might miss something.

9/11 is my boyfriend's birthday. We were going to celebrate it that night... glued to the tv instead.

Coffee

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I was sitting at my desk working when one of my co-workers came running down the hall telling us that she had just heard that one of the towers had been hit. I pulled up CNN on my computer right away to see what was going on and someone else turned on the board room television - just in time to see the 2nd hit. Nobody could believe it. It was a pivotal moment in life for a number of people I worked with...............sammieswife.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I was just getting up about to get my son ready for school. I can't remember if my hubby saw it on tv first or if I heard something was happening on the radio. I do remember us all being in the room watching the tv as everything unfolded...it was eerie...like time stopped.

• dinah
    dinah

I was on my way to work and heard about the first plane on the radio. At that time they were thinking it might be an air traffic control error. By the time I got to work, the second plane hit. Everyone in the office was trying to call relatives to ask if they were watching the news.

I remember my boss saying, America was going to war. She lived upstairs and brought a tv down to the kitchen. We sat around a table almost all day watching CNN.

Oh and my mother called, she was sure it was Armageddon. I was kinda wondering about that myself at that point. I found out the truth about the truth just a few months after 9-11.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Was working on East 38th st in Manhattan. When I was going to work I was totally unaware of what was taking place. I got to the office and they were talking about the WTC. We couldn't get on the internet (the WTC wast he main internet hub in Manhattan), thus we were all huddled around a portable radio.

I remember waking home because the subways were closed. I saw several people walking through the streets with the WTC dust on them. They were the survivors.

Very sad day for New Yorkers.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I was sitting in my living room watching the whole tragedy unfold. I remember going to pick up my kids at school at the noon break and trying to explain what had happened.

• Morgana
    Morgana

I was sitting at my desk doing computer work -- just as I am doing right now -- when my Mom called and told me what had happened, that there was a terrorist attack with a passenger plane on the WTC.

I was dumbfounded and went up to the living room where I switched on the TV to watch CNN.

Then I saw the second plane coming, and crashing into the tower...

I'll never forget that day and how I felt.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

In Europe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit