WHERE WERE YOU 7 YEARS AGO?

by Mary 56 Replies latest social current

• done4good
    done4good

I was at my job on Montague street in Brooklyn. It was a client who told me that planes hit the trade center. I thought she was lying. The radios came on in the office and one of my co-workers said he was going up to the Promenade to see what was going on. I followed him outside and saw a black sky. Couldn't still believe it. We walked 1 block to the right, I believe that was either Henry or Remsen street, then turned up on Pineapple st. As soon as the tower came into my sight, it started to collapse. I stood frozen in the middle of street. A car that was behind me also stopped. People gathered on the Promenade were screaming. I went back to my office and gathered my things and left. When I went back outside, someone stuck a handmade sign on the side of a public payphone "Please donate blood. People are dying."

Soledad,

I couldn't help but notice you mentioned Montague St., Brooklyn in your post. I have a corporate apartment there that I'm actually typing this very post from at the moment. I'm here in NYC working on the City's 911 emergency call center project.

Today was a very somber day for the NYPD and FDNY personnel here.

j

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was at home getting ready for work. Turned on the tube and Matt Lauer was interviewing somebody in the studio, and then he interrupted the interview to cut to the breaking story. At that point the details were really sketchy.

I was still in da twoof at the time, just barely. I remember talking to a bro about it on the phone, how horrible it was, how we both wished we could go to NYC and help out in some way. It struck me as odd that here we both felt bad for all the people that died and that were suffering, but at the same time we were both firmly indoctrinated in an end-times mentality where we were supposed to 'hold our heads high because our salvation is near' when such things happened.

• Mary
    Mary

I've heard two different stories with regards to what the WTS did that day. Since they had a bird's eye view of what was happening, they apparently could see everybody running across the bridge after the towers fell. I've heard that they locked the doors of Bethel and told everyone to carry on with their work. I've also heard that they did what they could, helped the injured, gave out coffee and blankets to people and acted like human beings.

Does anyone know for sure what they did or didn't do? I'd like to think that they did help the survivors............

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I heard everyone at Bethel were told to go out and stand on the street corners with WT and AW in hand.........Appearantly hundreds of magazines were placed that day

Many pedestrians commented " Geez maybe you end of the world nut-cases were right after all "

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'd been out of the cult for 13 years by September 11, 2001. My stepkids' mom im'd me to say that a plane hit the WTC. I was at home and turned the volume up on the tv. My husband was on vacation from work, so he was at home too. After the second plane hit, I asked my dear husband if he thought it was the end of the world, (yes, I still had momentary fears of Armageddon), and he said something like it didn't really matter if it was the end of the world or not, because it if it was, at least we were going out together.

Then I heard about the plane hitting the Pentagon, and I lost it. I knew that my jw brother worked at the Pentagon. I was hysterically dialing his phone number all day, getting the "all circuits are busy" message. Finally I got through around 2:30 in the afternoon. He told me that he'd transfered from the Pentagon to the Naval Shipyard two weeks before. When the plane hit, he was up on the roof of building and said that he heard the explosion before he saw the smoke and flames. He told his fellow worker that he was getting out of there. They both packed up their tools and got in their trucks. My brother said he wondered if it was Armageddon too, because he didn't see one person on the streets as he drove out of DC. He saw some traffic and had the radio on by the time he hit the freeway.

It was one of the few times I had any contact with him, because he shunned me most of the time. Those four or five hours not knowing whether he was dead or alive was torture. I can't even imagine what it was like for the families of the victims. Although I'm not afraid of Armageddon anymore, I always feel anxious on September 11th.

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

I was trying to sleep to be honest. Dave was down stairs yelling at me to get up that we were going to go towards World War 3 that the towers and the pentagon had been hit. All I could say was "really" like I didn't beleive him. I had only worked about 19 hours the day before and knew I had another day like that one waiting for me. So I wanted to sleep. But only 2 weeks earlier we had just changed our vacation plans. We had planned on going to NYC that same week. But I kept getting a bad feeling that something was going to happen. So we changed our minds and waited to go in October to go to Colorado to visit my cousin. When I finally realized what had happened I was stunned and very numb.

Amanda

• Champion
    Champion

I was home and my husband called me a said turn on the television. I saw the 2nd plane hit. My husband is a bond trader and where the plane hit on the 110th floor was Cantor Fitzgerald and his buddy Carl was on that floor. He spoke to him about 50 times a day doing trades. He was trying to call him and totally freaking out. We kept thingking everthing will be okay..little did we know. They worst thing was someone said they found him a the end of the 2nd day, they put his name on a list...but it was wrong.....

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was asleep. A friend called very upset and said the US was under attack. We got up and turned on the television and saw the second plane hit. Our friend had received a call from her family in New York who live across the harbor from the WTC. They were very scared too. It reminded me of the awful day when the shuttle blew up killing everyone aboard including the young teacher. We were glued to the television watching it play out over and over.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

running late and had no clue, I listen to CD's sometimes on the way to work. Traffic was insane and when I finally turned the radio on it was all over. Got to work and watched the news all day

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

was at work.

1st plane hit, workers ran to tv set.

2nd plane hit, i saw it live.

we left work at 10 am. saw the smoke from the hills of bergen county, NJ

spent the evening walking in park with wife to clear the mind.

did not work, was depressed for 3-4 weeks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit