Is there a Christian message without the element of fear/perceived threat?

by nvrgnbk 133 Replies latest jw friends

• BFD
    BFD

Really want to know what I think?

Maybe faith based on love and mercy is stronger than faith based on fear. No one can say what happens when we die.

BFD

• dawg
    dawg

EXJW4EVR says.... "Not that that would matter, since you would probably dismiss a supernatural event".

Of course we'd dismiss this nonsense... LOL! Why would God be with Judah until he runs into "iron chariots" then suddenly leave? God, I just don't get why you guys can't or won't see reality.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    since you would probably dismiss a supernatural event.

Hmm have you witnessed a supernatural event? Oh, that's right, a book tells you something happened and its fact. My eight year old recently made a remark regarding the bible after her wit grandmother said something to her, I had to laugh, because at eight, she's wiser than alot of adults I know. She said that if someone wrote in a book thousands of years ago that they saw a flying pig, some people today might believe that pigs can fly, doesn't mean its true, but someone might believe it, the bible is no different. Out of the mouth of babes, lol.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

But is it true to Christianity?

In the end, isn't the belief all about escaping God's violent wrath?

Aren't those that are unable to accept the system's contradictions and absurdities promised suffering and eventual destruction as punishment for their disbelief?

Yes, if you keep in mind that not all of the Bible is consistent with 1 John 4:8 and 1 Corinthians 13:1-8, then you'll realize that some of the Bible at least cannot be from God because it directly contradicts those scriptures about love. Many, many, many christians are also universalists as are Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists, etc. If God gets "angry", it's going to be finally ready to END the suffering of ALL creatures.

It is only a certain element of Christian, Muslim and other faiths that buy into that God is pissed at you if you don't do this or that idea.

We all suffer consequences for our choices, right here in this life. And we pay dearly for the poor choices of others. And there are many who think that when we pass to the other side, we will go into rehabilitation and deprogramming type training and some of us will do
    "community service."

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I believe the actual Christian message (from Christ) was "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself."

Everything else is a snare and racket.

I don't believe we have a mainstream Christian *religion* that doesn't have the threat of annhilatory retribution.

Personally, in terms of religious thought, the notion of universal salvation without prerequisites appeals.

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

Read the words of "Christ", and not those claiming to be "Christian"

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Dawg:

He was with Judah all damn day but left when he saw the "iron chariots"? Why would God leave Judah after he sees chariots after being with him the rest of the battle? Hell yes we dismiss this... why don't you?

As I said before, a rudementary understanding of English grammar tells you what was going on. If you missed something that obvious, then you have a bigger problem than I do.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Actually, the TRUE christian message is completely without the element of fear/perceived threat. That is why it is called the GOOD news. It is a message of love... and life. Those that teach anything else... are false... and originate with the Wicked One. All of them.

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• stilin4now
    stilin4now

I found some interesting teachings on this on www.bible-truths.com

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can only think of one true Christian message. You are not going to find it in any religion, and especially among the witlesses. That is the message to do your own thinking and become more fully integrated in it. Doing this, you find your own path instead of following anyone else's footsteps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit