C/O's in the UK

by jookbeard 107 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England

That's a very interesting list, knew quite a few of them.

Albert Storer, Paul Presland from the 1970's I guess.

Philip Rose we had just a few years ago also David Rastall about the same time. He retired back to Rochester, I recall he had an accident, fell off a ladder. His son is a Director or whatever of IBSA.

Richard Cullen and Colin Conradie. G Birchley (can't remember his first name) I think he was an elder in Newark back in the day, used to do temporary CO work. Michael Purbrick was never liked in our congregation, everyone glad to see the back of him.

David Algar was on CO visit at our congregation the week we got married and came to the wedding. Great guy. He also did the dedication of a KH we were at some years ago.

Another CO I remember was John Flack. He stayed with us a couple of times. Never hung around after the meeting, back home and changed into his jeans, watching TV. Westerns fan. I can't remember what his wife was called but we could smell the Chanel No. 5 for weeks after they left.

George

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    Michael Purbrick was never liked in our congregation, everyone glad to see the back of him.

I don't know anyone who's ever said otherwise! He's the only person - CO, elder or anyone else in a JW congregation - that I've never heard anyone have a good word for!

The only thing I can say in his favour is that he was a very good speaker.

I remember him giving a talk about the impalement of Jesus, and his ability to paint the picture of the last hours of Jesus' life, including the nails being driven into him and the likely effect on his heart of the pressure of being suspended so long on the stake (or cross, if you prefer) causing the heart muscles to rupture and produce the "blood and water" separation the Bible refers to, was very vivid and dramatic.

Especially now in these days of 30 minute public talks, and items and 'symposium' parts which are so salami-sliced and dumbed down, I miss those captivating speakers who could hold an audience for 45 minutes or more without needing to resort to a script of Q&A questions or, even worse, a video or animation.

However, of course the main point of a CO should be that he can do the pastoral care part well - encouraging and supporting everyone in the congregation - and Purbrick had no gifts in that department at all!

In reality, most COs are just administrators - like regional sales auditors sent in to assess overall performance and report back to the branch. But it's a bonus when you do find one who actually seems to care for people, not just numbers and rules.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

John Flack stayed at my parents place on a visit. He seemed down to Earth.

Bev Gibbons. Seemed an always tired but honest chap.

Barry Birlles....Yuk.

Richard Jessop, anyone recall him?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Bevan ( and Mrs ) Vigo stayed at my house a couple of times ( West Bromwich ) while on circ visits. About !969 /70. I was married in 1968--first of several times.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

I know ten on that list -

Paul Presland - He never closed his eyes in anyone else's prayer.

Not sure if he closed them when saying one himself??

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'd heard some Presland talks on 'cassette' and when I saw him, his voice didn't match his face somehow. Although, in those days, I enjoyed his manner of delivery. Later, some Jobots told me he was not a nice chap. I never met him to find out.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Punk....

We had Paul Presland back in the day as a D/O . At the time he was a good speaker with an interesting way of putting things . Many years later in a different area he can around as a C/O . By then he was old and pretty much a spent force. We went up and started talking about the old ties but he didn’t want to know us....

Richard Jessup , yes I first knew him years ago when he was just learning the C/0 role and again many years later as an older man in a congregation having finished the travelling work. He was always terribly awfully British in his manner with an attitude above the rest of us. You could not warm to him

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    BB - Richard Jessup , yes I first knew him years ago when he was just learning the C/0 role and again many years later as an older man in a congregation having finished the travelling work. He was always terribly awfully British in his manner with an attitude above the rest of us. You could not warm to him

Yes, I know what you mean. His Missus, Hazel popped her clogs not so long ago. Weirdly, my Dad got on really well with Richard. It was RJ that put my Dad forward to do C/O work, but then Dad got the big C and had to retire from being PO too.

I became an Elder when he was PO of the congo-a-bongo I was in. I remember when he fell ill to the big C. He gave up on treatment and succumbed to it.

It was quite sad to see him sitting in the 2nd school on his own doubled up holding his belly. For that reason, I give him a pass. It was so sad.

I really didn't know what to make of RJ. Friend or foe? I never found out.

God! I'm so sick of hearing about the big C everywhere!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit