C/O's in the UK

by jookbeard 107 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Hans Hubler, a total narcissistic arsehole. I’m surprised it took so long for Wt to step in to remove him, before they did. This guys antics were unbelievable. I was present when he ordered a sister out of the assembly hall, with a crying baby, during one of his talks.

Sorry I just re- read the topic. This DO was in the South Pacific area. I think it was in French Polynesia, when he finally overstepped the mark and was removed. In the end Wt had no other choice. A bit like his mate Tony.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

names i recall from my few years in it. Birmingham area--60s-70s

Graham Carmichael---a very funny scots chap--real boozer.

Oliver Macdonald.--a real fruit cake.

Ron Drage was DO back then.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Stan, you must be nearly as old as me and methuselah to remember those names !

I go back to the time of the great John Blaney, he was REAL old school, he was a JW at least by the early 1920's , and had a great sense of humour, which even when suffering from dementia, he never lost. There are so many stories about him and his methods, many apocryphal I don't doubt, but he, in common with a lot of Old School J.W's, was a helluva Character.

They are all Grey Little "Society men" now.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i remember John Blaney being Circo at Shanklin I o Wight in the 70's My daughter called him Brother Blimey. ( i cant remember where she got that from.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

other names from the 6os / 70s:

Bill Bull

Peter Ellis

Bevan Vigo

Doug Turnbull

Terry Craft.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Knew the first two, Bill Bull stuck his nose in where he shouldn't have, in my personal affairs, I took no notice of him, it was none of his business.

Peter Ellis was a distant D.O type figure who ended up in Bethel IIRC. We just saw him on the platform, no personal contact.

I guess all the ones we remember Stan have either died or are out out to pasture now.

Not many were actually memorable.

One old boy I got to know quite well was Albert Broad, decent sort of guy as far as I knew, bat shit crazy wife, loved to do the washing up ! They stayed at our house at least twice, Albert was happy with some Bulldog Ales in the fridge and watching cartoons !

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    Ron Drage was DO back then.

I remember going to a Bethel meeting chaired by Ron Drage - long, long ago.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Wow, a few names from the past.

John Blaney - Back in the 1950/60's my dad was assigning out the territory for field service. Blaney finally came up to my dad, clicked his heels and saluted and said Yes Sir! He thought my dad should have been more tactful when telling bros/sis which street to cover.

Albert Broad. - Stayed with us many times back in the 1950's, drove an Austin 7 which he said he could drive through the wicket gates at the level crossings. Crazy!

Ron Drage. - Our DO back in the 1960's, eventually got called into Bethel. Had to resign along with a couple of others due to the Manchester case with the Charity Commission. Always wore a Dickie Bow. The last I heard he had cancer and was very ill.

Doug Turnbull. - Probably best not to mention what happened to him.

George

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Found this list on another thread from years ago, which I've adjusted to show the names better. It's from 2006, so I wonder how many of these have since been put out to pasture, or are perhaps not even JWs today? Maybe a few are pushing up the daisies by now.

Some familiar names there - Jolly, Storer, Birtles, Ainge, Rastall, Stokes, Spurr, Irons, Purbrick, Algar.

Vigo and Drage are familiar names from earlier comments too, of course. Also Doug Beavor.

Doug Turnbull. - Probably best not to mention what happened to him.

Didn't he abandon his wife and run off with a sister sometime in the 70s while serving up north?

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Didn't he abandon his wife and run off with a sister sometime in the 70s while serving up north?

Indeed he did, not just any old sister but the wife of the City Overseer. She was older than me at the time but still a looker. She will be long gone now as will Doug Turnbull. He was on a radio programme once, discussing religion with a group of vicars, "Daniel in the Lion's Den". Ran rings around them, he knew his Bible, unlike so many of the modern age.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit