What JW teaching did you find hardest to defend??

by karter 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

well, rings are kind of insignificant compared to the many practices that go along with birthday celebrations...

and really, a birthday IS a celebration -- a ring is just a symbol, to me it is different.

but i see your point, and have always wondered about this. Although i see a distinction - how come you cant clink your glasses together or raise a toast?!!?! A ring is certainly on the same level as THAT... jeez.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    so the massive evidence of total pagan origin means nothing? hmmmm...

Okay, Solace, let's do it your way.If the evidence is so MASSIVE it won't be difficult to find... so why don't you provide us with both the Secular and Theological references and statements regarding this issue ?

"Note to all current witnesses\faders: if it is "to deep" to understand, it's most likely a load of crap that your subconcious mind is trying to reject."

indeed - just like science, no?

Say what ? Just like science ? You've got to be kidding.

" The scriptures used to justify this doctrine contrast Christianity with idol worship. That comparison is highly offensive to Christians I know. How can I convince someone to visit the hall after insulting them?!"

too bad if it offends them - most of them ARE idol worshippers -- however, yes, it is kind of insulting and awkward to invite them to the hall after that.

There you go again with the condemnation.Since you have self-righeously declared such ones to be "idol worhsippers", perhaps you will aprreciate Paul's counsel at 2 Cor. 6:3 "Giving no offence to any man, that our ministry be not blamed"

Even if you sincerely believe such nonsense Solace, is that really how you attract others to the "truth", by intentionally offending and condemning them ? Is that how Jesus and Paul did it ? Did Jesus not associate with ones condemned by his own religious leaders ? Was he not viewed as an apostate because he didn't agree with their teachings ? To protect pedophiles while condemning the celebration of birthdays is the height of hypocrisy !!!

You blind guides! You filter out a gnat, yet swallow a camel!

• crazycate
    crazycate

Birthdays: Especially after the Awake article on allowing Pinatas at parties.

Blood: Once they started allowing all the fractions.

Cross vs Stake: Once I realized it may well have been a cross.

This Generation: I had explained for 30 years that this generation who would not pass away meant those born in 1914 (after being changed from those old enough to understand). We could absolutely prove it! Then in 1995, I had to absolutely prove something completely different. Which I couldn't

Cate

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Disfellowshipping teenagers and shunning them for LIFE.

Another less emotional one is: Accepting blood fractions but not contributing to the blood supply. Even as a fader, I could not in good conscience accept the factions and submitted my AMD to refuse all components. (It's been rescinded since then and Tuesday I will donate for the first time!)

-Aude.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

im not trying to attract anyone to "the truth" i dont even believe its "the truth" anymore...

jesus...

and im not condemning anyone by saying they are idol worshippers, they just ARE. They worship idols. Any person can see that, not just jws.

and all i was saying about science is that, well science can be too deep to understand by some people sometimes, that doesnt make it a figment of the subconscious mind.

Im not comparing jw teachings to science. I just think its a weak argument.

I do not protect pedos, i despise it. I hear and see conflicting thigns about what the borg has done in this regard. Im just glad im out of it, okay?

• crazycate
    crazycate

Another less emotional one is: Accepting blood fractions but not contributing to the blood supply.

And...Wouldn't accepting blood fractions be encouraging someone else to break God's law (in order to supply the blood that will be divided)?

Cate

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

"Another less emotional one is: Accepting blood fractions but not contributing to the blood supply."

wow, i have never thought of this, thank you!!!!

overall, i am glad for the advancements made in bloodless surgery, but this is RIDICULOUS!!!!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Not being able to accept 'alternative service' during the draft years. Here the government made a provision that you did not have to kill anyone, just help out at a hospital in your home town! But no, then we could say we've been persecuted by going to prison when none of it was necessary.

Also, they never really gave a good explanation of Thomas' words in John........"My Lord & God, when Christ appeared to him.

Outaservice

• NanaR
    NanaR

The teaching I found hardest to defend was the mortality of the soul, that people go out of existence when they die.

Part of me has always believed in the immortal soul.

Probably one big reason I am now Roman Catholic.

Pax,

Ruth

• rocketman
    rocketman

Lots of good replies....

For me, some of the stipulations surrounding separation and divorce were very difficult to defend, especially the notion that a woman had to be in 'extreme physical abuse' to justify separation (and that still didn't give her "scriptural grounds" to divorce). So basically, a woman had to have the crap beat out of her to justify leaving.

Another area was the nitpicking in regard to so-called sexual misconduct. Such misconduct varied between everything from momentary touching of a woman's breast to fondling them, etc. I'll never forget an elders meeting with the CO in which we went point-by-point through the Society's oddball designations of what consituted "uncleaness", etc., and trying to match such terms to the conduct to which they were applied. It boiled down to a roomfull of guys discussing breast-touching.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit