What JW teaching did you find hardest to defend??

by karter 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• White Dove
    White Dove

I never really understood the Revelation book. Is that common to not understand it?

• wings
    wings

so many! But to pick one....shunning. I could never wrap my head around how that was "loving". It was easy for people to understand, unlike the doctrines that took acrobatic skills with the scriptures to explain, so there was no way to confuse the issue and make it look like something it wasn't. wings

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    Is that common to not understand it?

I think there were and are a lot of JW’s that don’t understand it. Most of these ones would claim that it was ‘too deep’ for them to understand, but would also marvel that the society knew the ‘true meaning’ of the book and would see that as proof that they were the only ones whom god was using……..

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

When we do a U-Turn we say the light is getting brighter

• heybaby
    heybaby

Birthdays for sure! The whole concept of not celebrating life to me is insane. Jehovah is the giver of life, and certainly he rejoices in the life of his creation right?!

• sir82
    sir82

Not as heavy as previous posts, but...

How can you explain to someone why "we" don't celebrate Thanksgiving? No pagan origins, no overt religious connection, just a nice time to enjoy with family and give thanks to God. Now what exactly is objectionable about that?

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Yeah I could never explain Valentine's day, Thanksgiving, birthdays, Mother's day, Father's day, New Year's and St. Patty's (other than drinking too much, these two are totally harmless). There was NO REASON for them to be "banned", but the Borg still did it anyway. Then I got out and now I celebrate them all.

All those 'trumpet blast' garbage I could never swallow, I remember sitting at the meetings as a teenager and thinking, "This is crap, how can they prove this means them?"

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Why killing babies was okay.

Why slavery is okay.

Why selling your daughter in the OT was okay but picking up branches to make a fire on the sabbath was punishable by death.

The flood story.

Why we couldn't celebrate our birthday.

Why we had to dress a certain way even if the bible never said that Christians needed to have a dress code it just said to be modest.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That someone is wicked because they will not stay out an extra 5 minutes in field circus (and then another extra 5 minutes, and so on) when they are tired or have other things to do.

That two consenting adults do not have the right to have sex with each other unless they are married to each other (not seriously contemplating it, but actually married). Claiming that both parties, even the one that consents, are wicked and are violating the other's rights.

That sacrificing value creation is required to get into the New Dark Ages. Imagine what would happen if no one ever created anything of value?

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

Birthdays. I never really tried to defend anything else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit