What JW teaching did you find hardest to defend??

by karter 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

That "ONLY JW's" will live on the Earth....

Sheesh! What a senseless bunch of idiots!

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

1914 weirdness!

I remember having a bible study years ago, and we got to the part about 1914. We read the paragraph, and in the middle he just looked at me and said: "whaaattt"?? In a very incredulous tone, and shook his head. I couldn't blame him because I thought it was a bunch of malarky too. It just plain sounds weird. I limped my way out of it, and moved on to something positive. He soon quit the study.

He was a very good man. Volunteered with under priviledged children, was a good father etc...but wait!!!, he is going to be one of those guys with the horrified expression falling into the massive crack in the earth, with the orange sky in the background, maybe a few large chunks of skyscraper falling on him at the same time...all because he canceled his study.

• minimus
    minimus

The FDS. Totally dumb.

Ray Franz gives a more intelligent suggestion.

• snowbird
    snowbird

No participating with other faiths in worship. Why not???

Sylvia

• james_woods
    james_woods

Sir82 has already hit on one big one for me: Thanksgiving -

Here we have a holiday, created by a Christian Refugee group (who came here to escape persecution), who simply made up something very like the Biblical Christian "love feast" in order to give thanks to God for having food for the winter.

Nothing pagan about it, nothing anti-society about it (the society was years away from happening) - just a simple feast to give thanks to a christian God, by people who were arguably about as good a christian group as anybody else on earth.

Witnesses don't like it because esactly why? Becase it could lead to gluttony. I kid you not.

This is the "not invented here syndrome" taken to heights seldom seen in a religious body.

• Blasty
    Blasty

As someone else said,, the shunning. I think I have a big heart, and it didn't make sense to me.

Especially, since as a young boy, I stayed with my Grand Parents a lot, and my mom was DF. Parents divorced. I didn't get to see her very often, and she would come to the hall, and I wasn't supposed to talk to my own mother that I missed so much. As a young boy I knew this was wrong, and never stood by it. As I grew older, I made a point of being kind to these people right in the hall.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The F&DS is a total joke - obvious to any thinking Witness - except those who imagine that the GB runs all it's decisions by all those partaking around the globe. Yeah, sure!

A literal 144,000 - every part of those verses in Revelation around that number we say is "symbolic" - except the number itself! Totally indefensible.

A literal Flood. A literal Adam and Eve.

Much of the WTS explanation of Revelation - especially the trumpets.

1935 - Pulled right out of the air.

S4

• james_woods
    james_woods

You know what is interesting about those "great Trumpet blasts"?

The people that they blasted at are very soon going to be as gone from this planet as the "generation that saw and understood the events of 1914."

So who exactly were they blasting at back then? And why? Think they need to get out the horns and blast away again, perhaps?

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Why we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving. It's a completely secular holiday and wasn't around until Abe Lincoln made it a holiday. Before then it was just a peculiar New England tradition. I knew the whole "pagan harvest festival" idea was malarky.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

great post Q

The "we don't have a clergy class" always rang so hollow with me too. Pretty lame argument, just because we don't dress differently. I don't think there is a more hierarchal structure in any religion than the JWs...there are so many rungs on the ladder it is mind bongling - right from handling the mikes, to MS, Elder, CO, DO, BO, ZO, GB and all other points in between. They slap a title and a class distinction on everyone in the org.

7 times = 2,520 years= 607BC to 1914CE- Utter NONSENSE!

Prohibition of blood transfusions to save life, Jesus shed his blood to give life, how can using blood to save life be wrong?? CRIMINAL

Majority of the book of Revelation's symbolism applying to a group of men in 1918-1919- CRAP!!

Jesus was referring to a small group of men in 1918 when he spoke of a Faithful & Discreet Slave (singular)- RIDICULOUS!

We don't have a "clergy" and "laity". COs,DOs, Publishers????? WE DO have a class separation! Why deny it?? MISLEADING!

99% of the world's population will die at Armageddon! HATEFUL!

Actually their theology in general is too weird to explain in a rational way!!

Q

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit