What JW teaching did you find hardest to defend??

by karter 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• flipper
    flipper

I found it hard to defend the whole, entire BS story they promoted. All of it. It was all nuts . Too unreal

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I would find it hard to get too deep with someone about the stake vs. the cross. My JW teacher brought this up and once she realized I wasn't buying it, she referred me to an article about some research some dude did that stated that there was no evidence that Jesus was hung on a cross, blah blah blah. I got irritated and overloudly stated that it didn't matter if it was an upright post or a cross-beam--he DIED on a tree for you and me--not concrete, not particle board, not during a drive-by shooting. Stunned, she then used the "the cross had pagan origins." Again, who cares! The Romans were themselves pagans, inventing new and unusual ways of tormenting prisoners. To me, this is just yet another way JWs try to separate and distinguish themselves by others by nitpicking over stupid trivial stuff that has no bearing on salvation.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

yeah i never really liked the whole cross vs. stake thing.

i mean, its pretty obvious christians shouldnt worship the cross --

but does it REALLY matter if it were a cross or a stake?

I dont get it.

• Casper
    Casper

I had a hard time with all of it at the doors, mainly because I'd didn't really buy all of it myself.

Hellfire was esp. hard to defend, since most people in this area totally believe in it.

Cas

• purpleplus
    purpleplus

Good Thread!!!

Birthdays - The two scriptural references were shakey at best. In the OT scripture, it was prophecied that the guy would be killed anyway and in the NT scripture the king can do whatever he wanted, he just happened to order a killing on his birthday. Duh!

Modesty - If an organization wants to have a dress code, call it what it is, A DRESS CODE. Don't bend and twist the scriptures to make me feel like a whore for wearing fishnets or no pantyhose at all, bright colors, or, for the black sisters,braids and locs. One sister had the nerve to "counsel" another for wearing blue eyeshadow. Walking around looking like insurance agents (no offense, lol) doesn't make one separate from the world. If "satan's system" is so corrupt, why adopt the style of imperialist coporate drones?

1914 - Sure I could look up the scriptures, but I knew there was not enough there to justify the doctrine. Note to all current witnesses\faders: if it is "too deep" to understand, it's most likely a load of crap that your subconcious mind is trying to reject.

Don't go to other places of worship - This is an easy way to piss someone off. The scriptures used to justify this doctrine contrast Christianity with idol worship. That comparison is highly offensive to Christians I know. How can I convince someone to visit the hall after insulting them?!

Marry only in the lord - I have personal experience with this one. While we were dating, I tried to convince my husband that we were unevenly yoked. When he told me he didn't worship Baal, I did not have a rebuttal. He then asked if my reasons were scriptural or "because they say so". After that I knew I was a slave to the borg and contemplated my exit.

Partaking of emblems - how often do you invite people to dinner but only allow certain ones to eat?

• james_woods
    james_woods

purpleplus, that may very well be one of the most brilliant postings that I have seen in the past three years here on JWD.

Welcome,

James

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

"Birthdays - The two scriptural references were shakey at best. In the OT scripture, it was prophecied that the guy would be killed anyway and in the NT scripture the king can do whatever he wanted, he just happened to order a killing on his birthday. Duh!"

so the massive evidence of total pagan origin means nothing? hmmmm...

"Note to all current witnesses\faders: if it is "to deep" to understand, it's most likely a load of crap that your subconcious mind is trying to reject."

indeed - just like science, no?

" The scriptures used to justify this doctrine contrast Christianity with idol worship. That comparison is highly offensive to Christians I know. How can I convince someone to visit the hall after insulting them?!"

too bad if it offends them - most of them ARE idol worshippers -- however, yes, it is kind of insulting and awkward to invite them to the hall after that.

• Casper
    Casper

Purpleplus,

Great post...!!! I totally agree with your thoughts.

He then asked if my reasons were scriptural or "because they say so". After that I knew I was a slave to the borg and contemplated my exit.

"Exactly"....

Cas

• sir82
    sir82
    so the massive evidence of total pagan origin means nothing? hmmmm...

So if "massive evidence of total pagan origin" is sufficient cause to prohibit a practice...

Why are wedding rings acceptable?

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Blood issue for me. I had to concede on a number of occasions that if i was presented with a life or death situation for my kids that i didn't know what i would do.

How mad was that, even though i said that the mere thought i had to think about it.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit