~ Just found out that my dad has died ~

by FlyingHighNow 122 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

Try putting on a song that always makes you cry and see if it will help loosen you up. It has worked for me. I listened to Tom T. Hall's " that's how i got to Memphis". It worked, i was able to shed the tears i needed to.

I know it sounds very simple, and it is. I have also gone somewhere I'll be alone and have privacy and just dialogged with the person that i needed to talk with. It can be very therapeutic.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Dearest One,

I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how our parents were, they are still our mom and dad and we miss them

when they are gone. My heart goes out to you. I started praying for you as soon as I read the first post. I

hope that this will bring your sister and family closer to you. Just expect good things to come from this. God

makes everything work for our good. Death is an inevitable for all of us, but it is not easy for the survivors.

I love you and will continue to pray for you, my dear.

Love and lots of hugs,

Velta

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    I am very tired and need to get some rest. I forgot to call my boss and tell her that Dad died. I am scheduled to work in the morning. I am debating about calling off. It's only a three hour shift.

Taking the day off sounds like a very good idea to me Heather. It sounds like you need some time to process your feelings and have a good cry, but it's hard to allow room for that if you have to keep it together for work.

Hope you can take the time you need.

Cog

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Try putting on a song that always makes you cry and see if it will help loosen you up. It has worked form I listened to Tom T. Hall's " that's how i got to Memphis. It worked, i was able to shed the tears i needed to.

That's a good idea. This song from the Touched by Angel soundtrack made me cry the other day, very hard, for Mickey. I usually will not allow myself to think of how sad he must feel and how he must miss us. This song was one I listened to in triumph and for strength when we tried to get custody of Mickey and finally did. Now the song makes me cry. Listen to it. It's very beautiful. Especially at 2:10 into the song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dKHKvhtvJZY Eliveleth, you are so sweet. Thank you. You might really like the song I have linked, too.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hope you can take the time you need.

Cog

You know, it's late and I think I am probably going to call off. It's not much money I'd be missing.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Yes, just do it. It's not much money for 3 hours and its not as important as taking a day to yourself and taking care of yourself.

Cog

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Chris

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here is a picture of Daddy and my oldest brother Cory in 1976. This was not too long before Cory was to die in a vehicle accident. He was 22. Note the Exlax patch on Cory's jacket. Dad was crushed by Cory's death as was Mom and the rest of our family. It really shattered our family into a million pieces.

DADANDCORY2-1.jpg picture by paisleytothemax

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I'm really enjoying seeing the pics of your family, FHN. It is just so difficult to get an accurate idea of the people you are discussing without seeing them.

Thank you for sharing them.

Cog

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

I am so sorry for your loss

I don't know you personally FHN, but I've read so many of your posts here and you seem to be such a sweet, strong, kind, lovely woman. I hope you won't mind some well wishes from a stranger.

I have enjoyed seeing the pictures you've posted of your dad, that's an honor to him and a collage of his life that seems to be good for you too, to examine and share. There's a sweetness and a tenderness to many of the pictures you've chosen, and your descriptions of them. You've alluded to harsh problems and pain as well, but it seems you're engaging in some fond reflections and I'm glad you have that.

As for the need to cry, that is a very real need and I encourage you to do it, for as long and as hard as you need. Shedding tears is cathartic in so many ways, and holding them in can harm you. I hope you will find a way that works for you to cry and to mourn, for all of the loss tied up in this.

Sending you wishes for strength, peace, and healing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit