American Politics...leave it to the Americans

by Who are you? 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Simon’s board rules "if you don't like the policies, you are free to leave" sounds a lot like the Neocons battle cry of "my country love it or leave it"...The irony is palpable…Simon's disdain of American political ideology is understandable. I remember on my first of dozens of trips to Europe, standing in line to board the ferry that crossed Lake Chiemsee to one of King Ludwig's castles. Though we were talking quietly, it became apparent that we were a couple of Americans mixed in with the German majority. Finally a man mustered up enough courage to catch my eye, but as he began to speak, two American F-16's flying overhead on their way from Italy to Germany, drowned out his words and put on impressive display of maneuvering for the crowd below. His shoulders just shrunk, and he resumed his position in line. Not until years later when working on a joint German-American project did I once again encounter a German who actually had the kahoneys to speak his mind. With a wild look in his eye and acting as if he were about to tell me something that would shock me, he said "You know Americans are not liked here"...to which I smiled at him and calmly replied "I know." His shoulders also shrunk and he turned around and walked away. He like most people outside the US will compromise their attitudes toward America in an instant if there is financial gain to be made. That is the problem outside the US. They hate us, but only when it doesn't count.

This forum is a perfect example...it doesn't matter....all the big talk in the world doesn't change anything. The US does and continues to do as it sees fit. The rest of the world's opinion is not what drives America's policy decisions. This is the way it has been since the time HS was in diapers, this is how it will be long after he dons his first Depends. All a guy like HS can do is whine about America, puff up his chest , proclaim Europeans to be politically superior, and hope to attract a few rutterless plonkerettes… but in the end, he and I know that he, his father and his fellow countrymen have been and continue to be completely impotent when it comes to having any sort of influence on American policies. This unfortunately for those outside the US is a fact. It also must be extremely aggravating for those outside the US to know that less than 40% of its citizens vote. It’s aggravating to me as I make up a part of that 40%.

I ask myself, why would an American (doing his best Stuart Smalley impression) spend his time on this internet forum apologize to strangers for being an American, yet he won't get up off his ass and make a real difference by voting? …But then I have to remember that this group was raised on, or more appropriately distracted by drama. How much more dramatic can you get than "OH MY GOD, the world is going to end tomorrow!". …Conspiracy theories are also filled with drama. They are also filled with wishful thinking that somehow reality is not what it appears to be. The reality about America is that foreign policy is dictated by itself. Aggravating to the rest of the world ? ...absolutely....about to change soon ?....don't count on it....Europeans have a long history of looking down on Americans...it is a precious tradition carefully handed down generation to generation....and why shouldn't it be....impotence without a cure turns otherwise normal men into bitter fossils. If you are an American reading this, I suggest that it is unnecessary to live life on your knees. You have the ability to vote and make it count for something. Don't be impotent. To non-Americans, on the one hand I understand your frustration, on the other hand I need to remind you that in reality, there is nothing you can do or more importantly will do about it. Not very dramatic, but reality seldom is.

• godadist
    godadist

For a long time Europeans have viewed America with a mixture iof envy and condescension. I think American power and prestige infuriates them after the collapse of their own empires, and the tjheir dependance on American support in the World War and the Cold War has magnified their feelings of impotence. After the fall of the Soviet Union, we didn't seem so very necessary anymore, and the claws started to come out over there. However, the world has changed since the 90's. We have seen the election of much more pro-American heads of state in Germany, and France among others as of late.

• godadist
    godadist
    remember on my first of dozens of trips to Europe, standing in line to board the ferry that crossed Lake Chiemsee to one of King Ludwig's castles. Though we were talking quietly, it became apparent that we were a couple of Americans mixed in with the German majority. Finally a man mustered up enough courage to catch my eye, but as he began to speak, two American F-16's flying overhead on their way from Italy to Germany, drowned out his words and put on impressive display of maneuvering for the crowd below. His shoulders just shrunk, and he resumed his position in line. Not until years later when working on a joint German-American project did I once again encounter a German who actually had the kahoneys to speak his mind. With a wild look in his eye and acting as if he were about to tell me something that would shock me, he said "You know Americans are not liked here"...to which I smiled at him and calmly replied "I know." His shoulders also shrunk and he turned around and walked away. He like most people outside the US will compromise their attitudes toward America in an instant if there is financial gain to be made. That is the problem outside the US. They hate us, but only when it doesn't count.

When we (my family) go to Europe, we talk among ourselves in Spanish. This seems especially helpful in France. It deflects a lot of the potential antiamerican prejudice. It might be hiding what we are, but we go to have a good time.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    They hate us, but only when it doesn't count

You're speaking for a hellofa lot of people.

• godadist
    godadist

It seems like a bit of a broad brush, I know Euros that are very US friendly, but then of course they are the kind that worked in the US so that tends to select a certain type. Still, I think WAY's statement is true for a very large percentage.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

After reading that nonsense you get a better understanding of the "Ugly American"

kahoneys

Cojones is a European (Spanish) word.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

A German said

"You know Americans are not liked here"...

He might well have said that English are not liked either . Europe is not one family (Especially when we play football ! Lol) ..I went to the New York J W Assembly in 1973. Within 5 minutes of meeting a German "brother" we were arguing football , No love lost between the two Nations..

About America? I keep saying this. Most Brits and Europeans love America and its culture - just the present administration that is not liked. But that is passing...

But I agree with the thought that American politics are best left to Americans to discuss....

• jstalin
    jstalin

I've been all over Europe and have found varying degrees of like and dislike. I don't think it's fair to paint with a broad brush. I've found the Italians to be very friendly (except in the Campagnia region), as well as the Irish. The French (no surprise) seem to be the least friendly (other than Italians in the Campagnia region).

• Simon
    Simon

No one is asking Americans to 'apologize for being American' or any such nonsense. People were simply asked not to paste the propaganda that was starting to appear regularly.

Only certain Americans would take this as some kind of attack on their entire country ...

How America is viewed is a whole different issue. You'll find that America's influence in the world is waning as power ebbs away and the dollar slides. One day, you'll probably wake up to a harsh new reality and possibly wish you'd had a slightly different foreign policy that made more friends and fewer enemies. Don't assume that your allies are your friends ... the level of dislike in England for instance is pretty high outside of the current political classes.

While American politics does have an impact on the rest of the word though we are free to say whatever we like about you and the idiots you elect. But hey, at least we don't follow your lead and have those we don't like assassinated do we?

• Confession
    Confession
    People were simply asked not to paste the propaganda that was starting to appear regularly.

Correction: "Republicans and neocons" were warned not to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit