Tossed out of the District Convention! What did I do wrong? I exist!!

by Terry 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

You may want to write to Pam about her callousness and send a copy of the letter to her elders and to anyone else in the congregation that you know or know of. www.whitepages.com can help you out with current addresses. Make good points, don't use any bad language or say anything that they can hone in on and say, see, we knew he was like that. Abusive people will pick on any detail to justify themselves.

Once you have sent the letter, consider that your garbage pickup. Leave them to their self-imposed isolationist misery. You've got a lot of living to do!

It is a bit different for me.

I absolutely know there is nothing a DF'd person can ever say that can be heard on a communicative level. This is mostly because it will not be read as a "fair hearing".

I'll give you an example.

Just after I moved back to Fort Worth from being away in California for ten years I was meeting an art salesman after work at a local pub. It was called, I believe, the Treehouse. It was an upscale watering hole and not a dive.

As I sat at a random table watching the front entrance an old JW acquaintance (I'd known her forever, it seems) walked in and spotted me.

She came over to my table and looked down at the ashtray. "Being disfellowshipped has driven you to cigarettes and booze, eh?"

Huh?

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

She gestured at the table as though it were a "given" that I had become the lowest of the low.

I chose to treat her words as though she were kidding me. I laughed and replied, "I've never smoked in my life and don't plan on it. What's a nice Witness girl like you doing in a place like this?"

She immediately became uncomfortable and made distracting small talk and then walked right back out the door.

Very strange, indeed.

I thought about it.

An active JW fully expects that the only thing preventing you from becoming a serial killer, pimp, crackhead, bankrobbing s.o.b. is staying in the Kingdom Hall!

So...I would NEVER give them the satisfaction of ever hearing it from my lips that they had hurt me in any way! Why? Because it would GIVE THEM PLEASURE to know it!

I prefer the passing remark instead. Like I said at the funeral a month ago, "I guess staying in the "truth" ages a person prematurely for some reason." I said this because everybody but a very few looked like nine miles of bad road.

I refuse to fit any JW's stereotype of what they expect me to be as far as "apostate" is concerned. I'll kill them with kindness first!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    I chose to treat her words as though she were kidding me. I laughed and replied, "I've never smoked in my life and don't plan on it. What's a nice Witness girl like you doing in a place like this?"

Classic! I love this!

Nina

• caliber
    caliber

James 3:18 we read that "the fruit of righteousness has its seed sown under peaceful conditions for those who are making peace."

I think this principle ( whether you accept the Bible or not ) is good advice for this situation as well as others recently on this

very site . Conditions for acceptance , listening and learning must first exist. A simple truth...simple to learn .....but it seems

difficult to always apply ! Self vindication is not the same as teaching ,so what is our intent and long term objective ?

I have seen very pro-witness type persons being told... you don't belong here on JWD . Is is not a clear parallel ?

Caliber

• Terry
    Terry
    Self vindication is not the same as teaching ,so what is our intent and long term objective ?

For me, self-vindication comes first because I can't let ignorant people define who I am.

When they define me with lies I owe it to my self-worth to confront the lies with facts.

I don't know about why other people were disfellowshipped. I only know that when I was disfellowshipped I didn't see it coming because I had not been accused of anything!

When the words, "You are disfellowshipped" were spoken I was shocked.

There was no reading of a scripture and applying to some action I had taken.

In other words, I believe I was kicked out without biblical support behind it.

My reputation and standing and all my years of service (including pioneering and a couple of years in prison) were viewed as value-less.

I had built-up nothing by way of credibility, it would seem. I had no good will to fall back on.

I ask "why?"

It can only be because nobody has value in that organization, they only have FUNCTION or non-function.

To be of worth you must exist as a person. JW's do not exist as persons. They exist as gears in a machine.

Self-vindication for me means communicating that my mind, my values and my individuality cannot escape notice because they belong to a person of worth, intelligence and determination. I am determined to be heard! I shall not be ignored!

To ignore me they must stand and admit to some wrong I've done or slink away under the shadow of group-think where a kangaroo court has silently condemned one of their fellows for un-named non-reasons. This makes them fools and morally evil.

That's all I ask. Extoll my crime or accept your own moral evil in shunning me!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Oh, I agree, Terry! My dad was an elder for 40 years, pillar of every congregation he was in, and a genuinely nice and caring person. One misstep (a brief affair with a nice little old lady after we had to put my mother in a nursing home with Alzheimer's) and they pounced on him. He "repented" a week after the announcement of disfellowshipping, and they gleefully made him wait and grovel for a whole year before reinstating him. Then he was treated like a pariah anyway.

They're a bunch of sorry excuses for human beings. And their punishment is that they are wasting their entire lives looking ahead to a phantom future while missing all the wonder in each day. And I say that most sincerely as I am longingly looking forward to Friday night because this has been a HELL of a week. But I wouldn't trade my real life for the ephemeral nonsense I used to believe in. And I found my true friends and their friendship has nothing to do with religion.

Nina

• Quentin
    Quentin
    It can only be because nobody has value in that organization, they only have FUNCTION or non-function...Terry

I think df'd, da'd, or a fader it is the thing most ex-jw's come up aginst...my "crime" was to marry an un-babptized study...Kathy went to every meeting, even some field service...the moment it became known we were to marry all hell broke loose...what priveleges I had were taken...except for Harry, and his then wife, we were shunned by the entire kh...I became valuless...a low point in my jw life...in one way, or another it happens to all jw's....some worse than others....

They're a bunch of sorry excuses for human beings....nina

No question about it...they are that...this weeks events, although it didn't happen to me personly, have left me as bitter now as back then...they are ignorant, lost and don't care for anyone but themselves...when one looses value to a group it takes little to shove them off the platfrom in front of a train...Didn't know about you dad Nina, that's sad...

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thanks, Quentin. His name was Bill Bibbee (William C. Bibbee on the assembly programs) and he was always in the forefront, giving talks at the circuit and district assemblies, until he stood up for his son-in-law and said that the Society's mishandling of child abuse victims was wrong. Funny, he never had another district or circuit assembly part again . . . .

He was a good guy. Not a saint by any means, but I would have liked to have had him around a while longer to enjoy his grandchildren and finish his life as it says in the Bible about Job: "old and satisfied with days." (Sorry, I can still only quote the JW Bible.)

Nina

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

You forgot your lapel card? So much for the welcome wagon! Bastards!

• Quentin
    Quentin

Heh, heh, still have my nwt, one of the old brown soft back editions...I vaugly remeber you dad...you would have been about 12, or 13 when I was active. For reference Kathy and I were married in the Garland kh June, 1972...

I think that is the saddest thing about jw's, any cult group for that matter, there are good people who try as best they can, within the confines of the system, to be even handed with all persons. Their the frist to go and the ones who fall the hardest. My experence as a jw pales in comparison to what many have gone through.

Take heed lurkers. The wtbts is a ravenous beast, unbibical in their teachings, amoral in their treatment of the flock whose trained minons will treat you as something unpleasent to be scrapped off the bottom of their shoe.

Now for something more pleasent. Got to check the water level in one of those inflatable pools we bought. I'm going to look like Moby Dick tomorrow when I get off work, back stroking around that monster...

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Quentin, you're WAY too nice to me! I was 17 when we moved to Texas in summer 1973, and the Garland congregation was the first KH we went to, so I'll bet I saw you there and didn't know it. After a month or so, we got an apartment in Richardson and stayed in Richardson for about three years, then moved to Corsicana for a year (bad move, REALLY bad move), then to Lancaster where I stayed until I married Chris. My parents should have bought a house in Canyon Creek (Richardson) when they had the chance, but they thought it was too expensive. What that house would be worth now!!!

Ah, hindsight . . .

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit