Worst Rules

by DoomVoyager 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• White Dove
    White Dove

Can you imagine it if everyone wore cologne and aftershave? The khall stunk with the stuff and I couldn't breathe without coughing. It was a relief when they made that announcement. Breathing burned. It was like that for more people than just me. My family members have to wash it off if I'm going to sit with them.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Guy Pierce (GB) was our CO and said the one about class reunions. It was in a talk about bad associations. I was a die hard JW at the time and that was the first time that I actually thought that something said from the platform was rediculous.

• candela
    candela

So many rules, so little time: Here are some of my all time faves, I know not all are "official", but these are things I've actually heard in meetings or conventions - which makes them "official" for the attending even if some idiot pulled them out of their A$$...

Don't attend/participate in elementary school field days

Don't wear two piece bathing suits (even if they are a tankini which is basically a one piece cut at the waist)

Don't date unless you are planning on marrying that person (how are you supposed to know you want to marry them before you date them then? I don't know)

Don't attend a Ricky Martin concert because the song "Living La Vida Loca" is glorifying a sinful life (my BROTHER was the elder that actually said this, thank you very much!)

Don't dance slow songs unless you're married.

Don't read fairy tales to children or watch Disney type movies, because fairies, fairy godmothers, witches, elves, or any other magical creature are really demonic.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

This is for real, I heard a speaker say during a Sunday talk don't rent a motel and watch R rated movies and masterbait, needless to say I started to laugh and he asked me to leave I laughed down the isle and out the door. I seen him at a convention and I still laughed at him, what a mallet head.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

No camping or cruise vacations because you will miss the meetings.

Why didn't they just say "No Vacations"!

What a bunch of morons.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

One of the best I heard of was my brother telling me of the "No Myspace" talk...the brother who gave it was posing as a teenage boy lurking on other teenagers in the hall waiting for a trap...now that is ripe for "To Catch a Predator". I heard the "no sitcoms" talk which was just sttttuuuuppppppidddddd.

• song19
    song19
    they made an announcement that you could no longer wear Cologne or after shave to the meetings.

Ok, so I respected that because I didn't want to cause troubles for someone if they had allergies. But what I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS... why the hell are sisters allowed to put on HEAVELY SCENTED MOISTURISING LOTION on their hands DURING the meeting... I'll never know. That stuff made me gag every time.

So why is yoga bad again... I never understood that rule. Romance novels... my mom is going to hell for sure for that one.

Speaking about modest dress... When I was pregnant my boobs grew like water mellows.. but then again so did my ass. Anyhoo, I was quite heavy and it was hard to find clothes that fit well enough. I mean here my belly is protruding out, pulling my dress and yes making my breasts a little more exposed than normal. No... the brothers didn't complain... I believe I was speaking with the CO or some other prominent brother (can't recall, he was visiting) and he couldn't keep his eyes off my chest. NO JOKING HERE I was trying to have a conversation with him and his eyes kept glancing down repeatedly. I literally had to take my sons blanked (since he napped at the meetings) and hold it up in a casual way to discreetly cover my chest, so as to not embarrass this brother any further. Perverted little prick.

• megaflower
    megaflower

NO Oral SEX. This brother was very graphic during his talk. There was nothing left out. I wanted to crawl under a rock. He had two younger kids and his wife there and they never even battered an eye. I would have been red faced and so embarrassed.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Don't listen to the Stone Temple Pilots ?????? Never heard that one,but I've got tickets to their Jue 28th Concert here in the Woodlands......some call the elderS.

For me, the being in groups of 3 or more when with the opposite sex, yeah it's obvoius what MIGHT happen,but we had to make some rdiculous trips and driving dropping people off to ensure that rule. Pass my house ,drive 15 miles to drop off sIster so and so, theN drop me off, and drive 20 mikles in the opposite direction home. JE-SUS PLEA-SUS

I remember when Micheal Jordan made his comback, a few black brothers had bald heads, and I don't even think it was directly because of him,but just a timing deal. Well at the 1997 or 98' convention the brothers saying something to the effect of shaving your head would be imitating the world. Did it not occur that it's easy to maintain,or those close to baling just wanting to get over over with. ?

Staying at the hotels of there choice for conventions. I always that that was REAL stupid.

The simple fact that they would say we are FREE to make our own choices.......even though we WEREN'T.

• james_woods
    james_woods

In the sixties, we had a self appointed circuit clothing monitor.

Ties had to be between 2" and 2.5". Colors and patterns were also ruled upon.Wider ties were for flower-children. Floweredy ties were also of the flower children.

Tiny skinny ties (with tiny skinny collars on white shirts) and black suits were kind of Malcolm X. White guys could not have them, but the black guys could (along with mustaches).

Shoes had to be either brown or black - and preferably laceups. Belts had to be matching the shoes and either brown or black. Light colored belts and shoes were like TV evangelists wore.

The leisure suit of the day was strictly prohibited. Double knit fabric for regular suits was frowned upon but not strictly prohibited.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit