Worst Rules

by DoomVoyager 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

I heard a brother say from the platform it's wrong to watch R rated movies that have been edited for television. I found this mind-boggling since if the objectionable content had never been in it in the first place, there wouldn't have been an R rating. Somehow the cut-out bad scenes apparently leave an evil aura in the edited film. He provided a really deep illustration that totally explained his point: If you were in a bar, where nothing untoward was going on in the area where you were, but upstairs there were immoral acts going on, would you want to be there? Of course not. So in the same fashion, we would not want to watch a movie that was once rated R even if the objectionable portions have been taken out. Yep, that's what he said.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

One brother was giving a talk about sinning in secret. One of the examples he gave was to not steal the ashtrays in hotel rooms. I looked at my wife and said: "Who smokes?"

One brother would place a towel on the sisters lap giving a part in school if he felt that their skirts were to revealing when they sat down.

No slow dancing unless u are dating.

no pg-13 movies

no 2 door cars

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

LOL, keep 'em coming

• besty
    besty

no holding hands for courting couples during the prayers

• changeling
    changeling

In the 80's: "Sisters. sew up the slits in your skirts. Yes, even the kick pleats in the back (that are there so you can walk)."

changeling

• lancelink
    lancelink

One PO stated that we should NEVER EVEN think about watching the movie Schindlers List,

( since it was R, and many people were curious about it because many of the situations in the movie actually happened to witnesses.)

I remember some yearbook and wt stories that were 10 times more graphic than the movie ever was.

Nope, JW's should not see it.

I went with my wife the next day in broad daylight to see it.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Sorry to interrupt with a theory. It quickly becomes clear that if they don't make up crazy rules, there isn't much to talk about. I mean seriously, "the truth'" isn't a complicated or long enough story to hear 5 times per week for 70 years. I was astonished that the public talk when I went back for the first time in 10 years was about how "Christians" shouldn't use ouija boards etc. I was actually kinda in the mindset to "hear" the actual supposed message from god to re-evaluate whether there was ANY role for religion in my life. Instead I heard how conjuring spirits is considered spiritism.... 30 mins later I wasn't so much glowing in the light of God, just the glow of my growing rage at how much of my life this BS stole from me..

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

Were there rules?

I forgot.

Carlos

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

My husband just gave me another rule pulled out of someone's hind parts that's, as he describes it "beyond stupid." About movies: You wouldn't even want to watch a PG-13 movie, because if you take the "G" and the "1" out [out of the term PG-13] and you push the leftover "P" and "3" together, and then knock out the upper part of the "3" what do you have?? An R!!

The Hubs swears that this was actually stated from the platform. The scariest part is the fact that, to the speaker, this made perfect sense. One big reason why brothers with no education should stick with illustrations they find in the WT publications. My husband says those weren't any good either, but I say they're better than this gem.

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

you are stealing from jehovah if you linger at the coffee shop in fs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit