Have you found a new bible translation you like?

by New light for you 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

The Message Bible by Peterson is awesome, I love reading it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yes I find the English translation to be very understandable

• belbab
    belbab

I recently obtained the Apostolic Bible, Polyglot. (first released 1996, 2nd edition 2006)

It is an interlinear Bible, both old and new testaments. The old testament is is in Greek of the Septuagint. The Septuagint is from the oldest manuscripts older than any mss in Hebrew.

It is an interlinear version, with Greek text, with English and Strong numbers for easy reference.

Every word in the Bible is listed in the lexical concordance at the back, so all the old testament words in Greek are listed with new testament words. If a Greek word from in the OT is not found in the NT, it is also designated.

To see what it is, go to:

http://www.apostolicbible.com/downbook.htm

belbab

• sparrow
    sparrow

I'd prefer to read the wine list...

• StAnn
    StAnn

For research, we prefer the Revised Standard Catholic Version (has all the books of the bible). You have to get that bible used, as they don't print it anymore. We also use a New Revised Standard and a New American Bible but prefer the RSV-Catholic.

My husband used to use the NIV but one of his professors was the editor of several of the books of the NIV. Nice man but a little "out there" in his beliefs and it trickled through into his editing. The NIV is popular amongst the evangelical fundamentalists and charismatics.

StAnn

• Wee John
    Wee John

After breaking free i chose The New Jerusalem bible(Readers Edition).Its footnotes are often pushing the Catholic viewpoint but none the less its an easy read with it broken up into context.The O/T uses Yahweh in all the right places.I highly recommend it.

• Wee John
    Wee John

This is a good unbiased review of some bibles.

http://www.bible-reviews.com/selector.html

• Dagney
    Dagney

The New Jerusalem Bible. Love it....err "loved it."

I bought the big one with all the footnotes, brought it to the hall the last year or so I attended. I learned more from those footnotes and introductions about the history and culture of the times than probably in my whole life as a witness. I did put the filter on regarding any conflicts of beliefs, but I always had a filter on at the meetings anyway in order to not go mad.

It is really lovely to read.

• trevor
    trevor

I don't think it is possible to find a Bible that lives up to par totally. It is best to do what modern Christians do.

See the Bible as a metaphor that is not to be taken literally and then go to work on it. Remove the pages that appeal to you and support your belief system. Leave in place the nasty bits that make god out to be violent.

Once you have the few pages you want slip them in a folder and you will have a new abridged pocket size personal Bible that can be easily amended at any time. After all faith is a personal thing.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Very well put, trevor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit